BCS games to ESPN

borninthebarn

True Believer
Reaction score
What do GHers think of the BCS->ESPN deal? I don't like it because while I realize a large majority of Americans have cable or satellite TV, those games should be on broadcast stations.

Much prefer ABC/ESPN broadcast teams, though, so that should be a benefit.

Think they'll be on "ESPN on ABC"? That'd be my guess. They're the same company (Disney).

I liked it when FOX had the games, it shut out

the annoying ESPN machine, and gave the games a different look with different hosts, camera angles, and some extensive band pre-game coverage as well.

I am sick of Lee Corso, Kirk H, Lou Holtz and that other blowhard.

I like that FOX did not try to treat the games just like another NFL broadcast.

You're correct. All these games will be carried on ABC, branded as ESPN on ABC.

I don't think so.

"The 2011 season will mark the first time all BCS bowls will be on cable television."

These games are going to be on ESPN, not ABC.

And look for the cost to appear on your cable/dish bill

The reason that ESPN can bid more than Fox did for the BCS rights (that ABC wasn't willing to touch because they knew that outside of the Rose Bowl and Championship game, BCS games don't draw high enough ratings), is that ESPN can pass along the costs of these expensive deals to local cable/satellite providers.

The fees collected by network affiliates is miniscule compared to those claimed by the "Worldwide Leader"

Just study why in the current NFL TV deal structure, ESPN pays far more for a crappy Monday Night schedule in comparison to NBC's Sunday night deal that usually features far more compelling matchups.

the annoying ESPN machine, and gave the games a different look with different hosts, camera angles, and some extensive band pre-game coverage as well.

I am sick of Lee Corso, Kirk H, Lou Holtz and that other blowhard.

I like that FOX did not try to treat the games just like another NFL broadcast.

Well that just reinforces my beilef that your opnions are idiotic. Fox did the worst job of covering the BCS that I have ever seen. Maybe you like 100 + band shots per game....I actually like to wacth football and listen to announcers who know football, not fricking Matt Vasturdian and Charles Davis...god they suck..

Well that just reinforces my beilef that your opnions are idiotic. Fox did the worst job of covering the BCS that I have ever seen. Maybe you like 100 + band shots per game....I actually like to wacth football and listen to announcers who know football, not fricking Matt Vasturdian and Charles Davis...god they suck..

I have to agree with you. I dont know about band shots, though...but having to watch Fox for those BCS games the last couple of years has been torture. Thank god we can stick to ABC/Espn for the big games. In my opinion, ABC/Espn has best announcers by far. Herbstreit, Musberger, Nessler, Dan Fouts, Sean McDonough, (who am I missing?) are by far the most professional and the most adept at calling the game in front of them.

correction. the Rose Bowl is going to ESPN in 2011.

Fox could not possibly be worse than they are at CFB

during the Orange bowl this past year they spent more time on the bands than the actual game and their announcers were clueless...could not identify players and had trouble calling the action on the field. Good riddance to Fox...BTW the Notre Dame network is almost as bad at college football

You don't have ESPN?

I do but I know a few people who don't have cable/dish. My grandparents love to watch the tournament of roses parade and the Rose Bowl...it's their NYD tradition.

The other side of the coin, possibly

With ESPN paying for the rights, could it be that the network that has driven the National Championship idea will use this to orchestrate it?

Top Bottom