Battle status fir Purdue

January 18, 2023
Battle (back) will remain questionable for Thursday's matchup with Purdue, Marcus Fuller of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

ANALYSIS
Battle was unable to practice yesterday, and Minnesota has not provided any additional information on the back injury he sustained against Illinois. The 6-foot-7 junior has started in 12 games this season, logging 12.9 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 0.8 steals on 34.1 minutes per game.

Battle will likely be a game-time decision for Thursday's matchup with the Boilermakers.

So this seems like it is more than just back spasms - again, hopefully not lower back disc related. As a former player who had lower back disc injuries, they are a nightmare and almost impossible to recover from.

As an aside: everyone was chalking this game up in the loss column anyways…if he doesn’t play, it will be interesting to see the rotations deployed at SF.

Rest him for the road trip. Purdue will beat us by 30 anyway

No they won't
Payne will neutralize Edey
Will hit a bunch of 3's and go away saying, with a couple calls,we could have won this game

Rest him for the road trip. Purdue will beat us by 30 anyway
Perhaps not 30, but this is a tough game for us to win. I agree that we can give more minutes to Carrington and let Battle heal up. Payne also took some shots down low these past two games. Welcome to the boxing match that is B1G basketball in January and February.

Perhaps not 30, but this is a tough game for us to win. I agree that we can give more minutes to Carrington and let Battle heal up. Payne also took some shots down low these past two games. Welcome to the boxing match that is B1G basketball in January and February.
Tough game for us to win? Let’s start by beating the spread, which is currently Purdue -14.5

As massive underdogs I would probably sit him unless he’s 90% or better. But that’s just me.

I couldn't give a f&ck about gambling. Your statement here is completely irrelevant.
Your statement, “tough game for us to win”, implied the gophers have a shot to win. The reason I put the Vegas line is the world is favoring Purdue by 14.5. Vegas gives the home team ~3 points every game, so the spread on a neutral court is closer to 17.5. This is essentially the hardest game on the schedule. No one would argue that. There is no chance to win.

The win for the gophers is shoot 65% from FT line. Don’t take stupid shots. Have an offensive flow. Keep it under 10 points. Payne & JOJ play well.

As massive underdogs I would probably sit him unless he’s 90% or better. But that’s just me.
Agree with this sentiment. If he is iffy at all it would make sense to rest him in a game like this where we are highly unlikely to win against one of the best teams in the country regardless of his status.

I will take a 10 point loss with Battle out and break out performances by a couple of frosh. I'd love to see shots start to drop for Henley and Carrington and Payne to have a solid defensive night against the potential player of the year.

I will take a 10 point loss with Battle out and break out performances by a couple of frosh. I'd love to see shots start to drop for Henley and Carrington and Payne to have a solid defensive night against the potential player of the year.
this!

Henley and Carrington need some positive vibe games!! both shooting under 32% from the floor.

why am i thinking if Battle doesnt play that this will be the game that Garcia & Payne both get in foul trouble and we will be running a line up of Samuals, Cooper, Henley, JOJ, & TT!?!

Your statement, “tough game for us to win”, implied the gophers have a shot to win. The reason I put the Vegas line is the world is favoring Purdue by 14.5. Vegas gives the home team ~3 points every game, so the spread on a neutral court is closer to 17.5. This is essentially the hardest game on the schedule. No one would argue that. There is no chance to win.

The win for the gophers is shoot 65% from FT line. Don’t take stupid shots. Have an offensive flow. Keep it under 10 points. Payne & JOJ play well.

The line at Ohio State was +14.5. They won.

I'm not putting money on it nor do I think they will win today, but to say there is no chance is pretty ballsy as it ignores history as recently as exactly one week ago.

Vegas will give you $100 for every $1100 you bet on Purdue moneyline today. You should definitely cash out your 401k and bet all of it on Purdue.

In related news, some bettor bet over $1 million to win $11,000 on live betting on the Chargers when they were blowing out Jacksonville last weekend....oof.

Rogue: You left out one thing. Payne may neutralize Edey. We may hit a bunch of threes, lose a close game, miss ten free throws, and go away saying - "with a couple of calls we could have won this game".

It’ll be interesting seeing the bigs battle it out.
Front Edey and help out on him. Don't let him get the ball. If he gets the ball within 5 feet of the basket- it's over. I'd take the chance the Purdue has an off night on 3 pointers and don't let Edey beat you with layins and dunks. Purdue is not Michigan or Illinois quick. They are quicker than us, but so was St Olaf. We should be able to hang with their other 4 guys on D.

It’s a win even with Battle in (10 point loss). But if hurt, Battle needs to sit / rest.

Front Edey and help out on him. Don't let him get the ball. If he gets the ball within 5 feet of the basket- it's over. I'd take the chance the Purdue has an off night on 3 pointers and don't let Edey beat you with layins and dunks. Purdue is not Michigan or Illinois quick. They are quicker than us, but so was St Olaf. We should be able to hang with their other 4 guys on D.
Last game with Purdue Ben absolutely refused to send help when Edey got the ball. Painter remarked on it, paraphrasing, “if they don’t double him, we keep going to him”.

Can you really front a 7’4” player with guys 6’9” or less? (Thinking Payne or JOJ)…or a soft 6’10” Garcia…

PG smith is fast

The line at Ohio State was +14.5. They won.

I'm not putting money on it nor do I think they will win today, but to say there is no chance is pretty ballsy as it ignores history as recently as exactly one week ago.

Vegas will give you $100 for every $1100 you bet on Purdue moneyline today. You should definitely cash out your 401k and bet all of it on Purdue.

In related news, some bettor bet over $1 million to win $11,000 on live betting on the Chargers when they were blowing out Jacksonville last weekend....oof.
I would bet it all on Purdue (money line) Vegas was wrong on Ohio State. Immediately after that game, and even during that game I was posting that Ohio State was not that good…I got slammed. Guess what, they have lost 5 in a row.

Some other posters said this but I tend to agree, the Big Ten has four tiers this year:

Tier 1: purdue
Tier 2: MSU Illini Rutgers
Tier 3: Penn State Indiana Michigan Northwestern
Tier 4: Gophers Nebraska Ohio State Maryland

Can you really front a 7’4” player with guys 6’9” or less? (Thinking Payne or JOJ)…or a soft 6’10” Garcia…

PG smith is fast
I don't know if you can or not, but if he backs you down and gets near the bucket you have no chance. Making them throw it over Payne is at least risky.

I would bet it all on Purdue (money line) Vegas was wrong on Ohio State. Immediately after that game, and even during that game I was posting that Ohio State was not that good…I got slammed. Guess what, they have lost 5 in a row.

Some other posters said this but I tend to agree, the Big Ten has four tiers this year:

Tier 3: Penn State Indiana Michigan Northwestern
Just to add...I think wisconsin is tier 2, Iowa 3?

Just to add...I think wisconsin is tier 2, Iowa 3?
Tier 3: Penn State Indiana Michigan Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin (on the verge of tier 4)

Fixed it, not sure how I forgot those two teams. *I think Wisconsin is really bad and they have no scorers and without Johnny Davis to help them they are in a world of hurt

Top Bottom