Bateman opts out

No problem with this decision at all. I wouldn't take the risk of injury during a season like this.

Then why play in the first place?

I'm fine with him making this decision if that's what he wants, just seems weird to do it now after everything he went through to play this year. Best of luck to him moving forward!

I'm fine with him making this decision if that's what he wants, just seems weird to do it now after everything he went through to play this year. Best of luck to him moving forward!
It doesn’t seem so strange if the team only has one game left and it’s either lock down for 3 weeks to play one game against a to be determined opponent or opt out and go home for thanksgiving

His main reason for opting out in August was COVID concerns. When it looked like everything was safe with relatively flat Midwest case numbers and a good testing plan, it was acceptable. The situation in the locker room is no longer safe. If he were to contract symptomatic COVID and have lasting effects, it could significantly impact his training and/or draft clearance.

Can't blame him. Expected it a couple weeks ago..

Sucks his career ended like this but I don’t blame him. He’s been an incredible ambassador of the program. Can’t wait to see what he’ll do at the next level.

Best of both worlds, as fans we got to see him play a little more and he got to spend time with his teammates. Now we can shift focus to the guys that will have to carry the load in 2021 (CAB, Jackson...) and give them a chance to shine in whatever games we have left this season.

Best of luck to Bateman, glad he was a Gopher and excited to see what he can do in the NFL. Hopefully he can tear it up at that level and be a great ambassador for the program.

His main reason for opting out in August was COVID concerns. When it looked like everything was safe with relatively flat Midwest case numbers and a good testing plan, it was acceptable. The situation in the locker room is no longer safe. If he were to contract symptomatic COVID and have lasting effects, it could significantly impact his training and/or draft clearance.
I have zero issues with him making this choice. Based on your post, he would be contracting it again...

He came bacl and gave us a shot this year and the season hasn't gone our way. Don't think anybody believes he would be going now if we were in NW's position but at this point we aint in NW's position. Thanks for coming back and giving the Gophers another try, good luck next year in NFL. I know who I'll be drafting in fantasy league next year.

He came bacl and gave us a shot this year and the season hasn't gone our way. Don't think anybody believes he would be going now if we were in NW's position but at this point we aint in NW's position. Thanks for coming back and giving the Gophers another try, good luck next year in NFL. I know who I'll be drafting in fantasy league next year.
And I don’t think he opts out if we didn’t have this indefinite shutdown right now

Coming off of the season the Gophers had last year, I can see why he wanted to give it a try. There was plenty of excitement and he wanted to be a part of that with his teammates. I get that.

That excitement has been drained away, and replaced with an apathetic indifference (at best.) That, and the very real chance that he knows that the team won't be playing any more football this season.

Top Bottom