Bateman could break Gophers first round drought

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Axios Twin Cities:

Standout wide receiver Rashod Bateman is moving up NFL Draft boards and could become the first former Minnesota Gopher taken in the first round since Laurence Maroney in 2006.
  • The Athletic's Chris Burke projects Bateman going to the Tennessee Titans with the 22nd pick.
  • NFL.com's Peter Schrager has the Chicago Bears taking him with the 20th selection.
  • And in a worst-case scenario for Vikings fans, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. has nemesis Green Bay Packers taking Bateman with the 29th pick.
Go Gophers!!

Bateman is a tough one to peg right now. Some teams may look at how easy it was to get great WR talent in the 2nd round and beyond and hold off a little bit, or he could easily go in the 20's.

Here's hoping he goes high and goes to a team Vikings fans don't HATE!

There was another mock recently that had him going at 27 to Baltimore. Seems like there is a very good chance he hears his name called on day one which would be very cool.

I'm seeing him more and more in the first round as the draft nears. Not many guys in the elite range have his size. Putting in that sub 4.4 along with being 6'2", 210lbs? He should be the fourth receiver off the board....but even if he is the fifth....there's a good chance that will be one of the first 32.

I'm seeing him more and more in the first round as the draft nears. Not many guys in the elite range have his size. Putting in that sub 4.4 along with being 6'2", 210lbs? He should be the fourth receiver off the board....but even if he is the fifth....there's a good chance that will be one of the first 32.
His pro day measurements were much closer to 6' and 190lbs so not nearly as big as initially advertised. That doesn't mean I think he is anything less than a first round talent.

There was another mock recently that had him going at 27 to Baltimore. Seems like there is a very good chance he hears his name called on day one which would be very cool.
Uggghh... If I'm a WR, Baltimore is not far from the last place I want to play. They had a hard time this offseason appealing to WR free agents. Cold weather, outdoor division, bruising division, and a WR in Baltimore gets to block on about 6-8 plays for every play they might see the ball. Bateman did some blocking for the Gophers so I'm sure he's capable but damn, I'm guessing there's 26-28 other places he would rather play

I’m definitely excited to watch the draft again this year. Last year was my first year watching it staying up til 1 AM to see AWJr get selected. I was irritated that he didn’t get pick until the second round.

If our man, RB, don’t get selected in the first round....I’m going to be SHOCKED!

Excited for next week for sure!

His pro day measurements were much closer to 6' and 190lbs so not nearly as big as initially advertised. That doesn't mean I think he is anything less than a first round talent.

Does seem a little big....but if every players size is a little exaggerated.....it still puts him at the larger end of the top wideouts.

More talk about Bateman going to the Pack...UGH!

Rashod Bateman – WR (Minnesota)​

No one wants to see a former Minnesota Golden Gopher end up in the NFC North, especially to the Packers. But this could happen this year with Rashod Bateman and it would not be enjoyable from a fan’s perspective as well as the Vikings’ side of things.

Bateman isn’t a burner like some of the other receivers in this class, but he’s fast enough. What he is, is an established route runner with reliable hands. He’ll be a guy who keeps the chains moving and make clutch grabs that keep drives alive. He’d be a dangerous weapon in Green Bay when paired with Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams.

The Packers have failed to address the wide receiver position early in the draft for many years, instead relying on late rounders like Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Alan Lazard to line up with Adams.

Valdes-Scantling has had issues with his hands and Lazard has battled injuries. If Bateman is still on the board, he’d make a ton of sense for the Packers.

Vikings fans who love the Gophers will scream in outrage and they would be forced to root against a guy they’ve been in love with for the last three years.

Bateman could also be an option for the Bears at pick No. 20, and while that’d also be a tough pill for Gophers and Vikings fans to swallow, it’d be easier to take as he’d be less dangerous in Chicago’s offense catching balls from the Red Rocket, Andy Dalton.

Barefoot measurements are kinda useless. You play in shoes.

I posted this awhile back, but if Bateman and St. Juste both are selected in the first three rounds, it will be the first time since 1978 when three LB's (Mark Merrill, Michael Hunt, and Steve Stewart) were selected in the 2nd round.

Put another way--It's been 42 years since the Gophers program has had multiple players drafted in the first three rounds of the same draft. Time to break that streak.

With his size, I could see St. Juste being chosen before Bateman.

Bateman to Green Bay in the first round if they cant move up their pick from 29 to get THE position player that they want in an area of greater need (corner, DL, OL).

Bank it.

WR in the 1st round are tricky.

I found a pretty detailed writeup online about the history of WR as 1st-round draft picks.

From 2000 to 2020, 77 WR were taken in the 1st round. Of those 77, 9 become All-Pro players and 21 were named to the Pro Bowl. As of 2020 when this article was written, 19 of the 77 WR taken in the 1st round had amassed fewer than 100 career receptions.

So, a few WR taken in the 1st round panned out, but during that 20-year span, there were more misses than hits. For every Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald or Reggie Wayne, you also had guys like Freddie Mitchell, Rashaun Woods or Kevin White who flamed out. If I was a masochist, I would point out that during that 20-year period, the Vikings had 4 WR taken in the 1st round - Troy Williamson, Percy Harvin, Cordarrelle Patterson and Laquon Treadwell. Two complete busts, 1 KR, and one talented head case.

I think Bateman has a good shot to be a solid NFL WR. He might go later 1st round or early 2nd round. the important thing is that he goes to a team where he is a good fit.

Bateman to Green Bay in the first round if they cant move up their pick from 29 to get THE position player that they want in an area of greater need (corner, DL, OL).

Bank it.

Bateman will go before 29.

WR in the 1st round are tricky.

I found a pretty detailed writeup online about the history of WR as 1st-round draft picks.

From 2000 to 2020, 77 WR were taken in the 1st round. Of those 77, 9 become All-Pro players and 21 were named to the Pro Bowl. As of 2020 when this article was written, 19 of the 77 WR taken in the 1st round had amassed fewer than 100 career receptions.

So, a few WR taken in the 1st round panned out, but during that 20-year span, there were more misses than hits. For every Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald or Reggie Wayne, you also had guys like Freddie Mitchell, Rashaun Woods or Kevin White who flamed out. If I was a masochist, I would point out that during that 20-year period, the Vikings had 4 WR taken in the 1st round - Troy Williamson, Percy Harvin, Cordarrelle Patterson and Laquon Treadwell. Two complete busts, 1 KR, and one talented head case.

I think Bateman has a good shot to be a solid NFL WR. He might go later 1st round or early 2nd round. the important thing is that he goes to a team where he is a good fit.

I'm sure most positions would look like this.

I’ll admit I have no idea

Great player, but coaches have their ideas.

I think most National guys I have read have Bateman in the 2nd or 3rd round with 5,6,7 receivers ahead of him.
We shall see how it shakes out.
If 6 QB’s go in round 1 like some are predicting it cuts down the slots available.
Be nice if he goes in round 1 but better if he has a great NFL career. Both are possible but given one I’d take the career.

Top Bottom