Bars around Campus before Iowa game

maliksealy

Reaction score
Gopher fan driving up from Des Moines tomorrow. Where's the best place to go to stay warm indoors around campus for food/drink/game watching on Saturday before our game? Any hidden gems that won't be slam packed?

As others have mentioned, Malcolm Yards. Town Hall Brewery at Seven Corners on the West Bank is a good alternative. You can ride the train to the game.

Gopher fan driving up from Des Moines tomorrow. Where's the best place to go to stay warm indoors around campus for food/drink/game watching on Saturday before our game? Any hidden gems that won't be slam packed?
Options near the stadium are really limited these days. Sally's and Stub and Herb's are completely packed even 2+ hours before the game. Other places that used to be options (like Applebee's and Big Ten) are closed now. So as PM said, you almost have to go to the West Bank or Malcom Yards.

The alumni center has alcohol and usually a food truck and you can take that inside. They usually have a game on the big screen inside the alumni center. The alumni center is usually an pretty quiet/older crowd though.

Not around campus, but fun spots we hit before games and then Uber over are in "Nordeast" Minneapolis. Start your morning off with a Dago and cold beer at Dusty's. Then hit some of the fun neighborhood bars within a few blocks of each other. 1029, Jimmy's, Knight Cap, Grumpy's, Mayslack's, Psycho Suzi's, NE Palace, and don't forget to have Marlo make you a "Greenie" at Tony Jaros River Garden.

Not around campus, but fun spots we hit before games and then Uber over are in Nordeast Minneapolis. Start your morning off with a Dago and cold beer at Dusty's. Then hit some of the fun neighborhood bars within a few blocks of each other. 1029, Jimmy's, Knight Cap, Grumpy's, Mayslack's, Psycho Suzi's, NE Palace, and don't forget to have Marlo make you a "Greenie" at Tony Jaros River Garden.
Greenies will sneak up on a guy...

There is a Lucky's 13 at the Burnsville Center that would be perfect for Iowa fans.

I'm kidding... enter that mall at your own risk.

you'd probably be able to get into Mannings/Como Tap with a group of 4-6 -- though then your committing yourself to walk a mile and a half. Blue Door would be an option with a mile long walk. Station 280 is even further away but would allow you to watch games. All of these options would allow you to take a city bus (route 3) -- or take an uber as well.

Go to Mac’s. Snag an Uber or drive and park. That place rules.

Blarney's in Dinkytown is huge...and sometimes has the Blarney Bus going...

I like Burrito Loco in Dinkytown as a sneaky spot with some room.

I haven't noticed the Blarney bus for a while now. Used to take to the hoops games a lot before covid.

The Gopher Bar in downtown St. Paul has Coneys. Train will drop you off right at the stadium.

The Gopher Bar in downtown St. Paul has Coneys. Train will drop you off right at the stadium.
Ah, if you have never been there, I don't think pregame would be a good opportunity for that experience.

Ah, if you have never been there, I don't think pregame would be a good opportunity for that experience.
I live relatively close and I've always wondered if that place is actually a gopher bar or not - the few times I've been there haven't been on a gamedays and it had a very "local" feel - reminded me of the bars on the East side that really only seemed to be for the legit hardcore drinkers that live in walking distance.

Soooooo.... there is an express bus from Burnsville transit station that leaves 1 hour before and about 1.5 hours before game start and returns 30 mins or 60 mins after the game. $5 bucks. Numerous places to have some pre game close by and then bus it. No hassles and not crowded.

Not around campus, but fun spots we hit before games and then Uber over are in "Nordeast" Minneapolis. Start your morning off with a Dago and cold beer at Dusty's. Then hit some of the fun neighborhood bars within a few blocks of each other. 1029, Jimmy's, Knight Cap, Grumpy's, Mayslack's, Psycho Suzi's, NE Palace, and don't forget to have Marlo make you a "Greenie" at Tony Jaros River Garden.
Have you ever PubMoseyed?

Have you ever PubMoseyed?
I have never PubMoseyed, but I've been in Nordeast when it's been going one. I'm from Rochester, and we have actually brought up a bus (one year we brought two), and did our own Nordeast Pub Crawl. We really like the area, and frequent it when we are in the Cities. My son and his family live in New Brighton, so he's only a short jaunt south on New Brighton Blvd that empties into Northeast Minneapolis.

I live relatively close and I've always wondered if that place is actually a gopher bar or not - the few times I've been there haven't been on a gamedays and it had a very "local" feel - reminded me of the bars on the East side that really only seemed to be for the legit hardcore drinkers that live in walking distance.
It's not a Gopher sports bar but everything else you experienced is accurate. Hardcore bar and staff with an FU disposition.

Surly.
15 minute walk to stadium. Get there early.

if you want your wallet stolen, blarns is the place for you.

There is a Lucky's 13 at the Burnsville Center that would be perfect for Iowa fans.

I'm kidding... enter that mall at your own risk.
I prefer the original Lucky's 13 in Mendota Heights.

Soooooo.... there is an express bus from Burnsville transit station that leaves 1 hour before and about 1.5 hours before game start and returns 30 mins or 60 mins after the game. $5 bucks. Numerous places to have some pre game close by and then bus it. No hassles and not crowded.
Burnsville guy here, and if you're coming up from Iowa I can say this would work great if you don't need to be on campus.

To the guy who likes the Lucky's 13 in Mendota Heights better than Burnsville: Yes. The one in Bloomington is better, too, but the Burnsville location isn't bad. The guy who's afraid of Burnsville Center is watching too much Fox News; it's just pretty empty as they plan to redevelop.

I prefer the original Lucky's 13 in Mendota Heights.
That’s the joke… burnsville center is about 70% empty, dirty as hell, creepily quiet, and just feels like a dying building.

Last edited:

Burnsville guy here, and if you're coming up from Iowa I can say this would work great if you don't need to be on campus.

To the guy who likes the Lucky's 13 in Mendota Heights better than Burnsville: Yes. The one in Bloomington is better, too, but the Burnsville location isn't bad. The guy who's afraid of Burnsville Center is watching too much Fox News; it's just pretty empty as they plan to redevelop.
I live ten minutes from the mall. Well aware of it.

Currently watching NBC news while I reply.

Last edited:

It's not a Gopher sports bar but everything else you experienced is accurate. Hardcore bar and staff with an FU disposition.
That is LEGIT the truth with the staff. Just a nasty vibe.

Top Bottom