BANHAM ON WOODEN LATE-SEASON LIST

I don't follow women's basketball like I do the men, but I've seen enough to know that if Rachel Banham isn't a 1st-team All-American, the voters are high. No way are there 5 better DI women's players than her.

I don't follow women's basketball like I do the men, but I've seen enough to know that if Rachel Banham isn't a 1st-team All-American, the voters are high. No way are there 5 better DI women's players than her.
Well, get ready to get some air fresheners. I agree with you but it seems like there are enough players who have solidified their status ahead of her, fairly or not, to make sure she's a second teamer (I'm thinking of Stewart, Jefferson, T Mitchell, K Mitchell, Turner, with maybe K Mitchell the one she could displace, given that Banham beats her in almost every statistical category except strength of opponents). And they have to find room for Niya Johnson, Banham... Last year, she'd have been a first-teamer. This year, it's just such a good class that I'm not sure she'll make the first team.

If we still had Zahui B., Banham would have had more exposure.

If we still had Zahui B., Banham would have had more exposure.

True, but a lot of things would be different if Zahui B were around (for one thing, Banham wouldn't have these gaudy stats). To me, the real "if" is that Banham would have been a first-team AA lock if she had not been hurt last season.

Well, get ready to get some air fresheners. I agree with you but it seems like there are enough players who have solidified their status ahead of her, fairly or not, to make sure she's a second teamer (I'm thinking of Stewart, Jefferson, T Mitchell, K Mitchell, Turner, with maybe K Mitchell the one she could displace, given that Banham beats her in almost every statistical category except strength of opponents). And they have to find room for Niya Johnson, Banham... Last year, she'd have been a first-teamer. This year, it's just such a good class that I'm not sure she'll make the first team.

While AP does a 1st & 2nd team, the coaches just do a 10 person team. Of the ten from 2015, 6 are now in the WNBA (4 seniors, Loyd & Zahui B.). The four holdovers will probably make it (Stewart, Jefferson, T. Mitchell & Davis). That leaves places for K. Mitchell, Turner, Banham, Johnson... on the WBCA team.

She scored 60 points to tie a national record. She is getting more publicity then any of the drama queens you mentioned.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...7/26/breanna-stewart-connecticut-f-6-4-senior

Rachel was number 14 in the ESPNW preseason top 25 for 2015-16. She was not and is not (especially given recent performances on national TV (BTN)) being overlooked; but as others point out, it's a talented field.

No. 14: Rachel Banham, Minnesota, G, 5-9 senior

Banham's knee injury a year ago ruined what might have been a complete rebirth of Minnesota basketball. The 2013-14 Big Ten scoring champ and 2014-15 preseason conference player of the year went down 10 games into last season with a torn ACL. A healthy Banham is dominating with the ball in her hand and can play either guard spot. She is already Minnesota's all-time leader in 3-point field goals and will pass Lindsay Whalen as the school's top scorer. -- Charlie Creme

She scored 60 points to tie a national record. She is getting more publicity then any of the drama queens you mentioned.
"Drama queens?" Who are you even talking about? I wouldn't call any of those players drama queens, nor do I think we need to downplay anyone else's talents to indicate how great Banham is.

"Drama queens?" Who are you even talking about? I wouldn't call any of those players drama queens, nor do I think we need to downplay anyone else's talents to indicate how great Banham is.

She deserves this recognition and if she was on a more high profile team that had more exposure she would be ranked higher. We have had the privilege of enjoying her greatness but it bothers me she is not given more national recognition. We should have Kobe take over her publicity.

Top Bottom