Bandwagon City

Now this this thread is filling with FAIL...

I go on at length commenting how a good party/tailgate atmosphere is one of the three needed ingredients essential for bigger sustained game attendance (explaining it doesn't exist today). And now I've got a fellow "fan" schooling me with the "news" it doesn't exist today.

Thank you for the news flash.

Too bad good tailgating will never happen for the U.

Somehow you have to make this point with the Administration. I remember when people used to tailgate at the Old Met for the Vikings, even when they didn't all have tickets. They would tailgate, some would go to the game, and the rest would watch on TV from their tailgate location.

As Schnauzer said, you have to make it enough fun that people come for the fun/comraderie (sp?) even in years when the product isn't pristine. It does, however, need to be exciting to watch (i.e. "in the game" against most teams). I have some friends I only see during football season, but I enjoy seeing them each year. It is like a 3 month Christmas card.

No. You argued earlier that, essentially, people had finite money to spread around. Even in this tough economy, that's not even close to being true. Those attending Vikings and Twins and Wolves and Wild and Gophers BBall games on a regular basis have plenty of dough to spread around.
I'm not sure about the people you know, but I don't know anyone with that kind of money. I feel like you are making some assumptions here.

The U is wimpy when it comes to obvious things like this. I don't get it. Will Kaler?

The powers that be at the U (ok, the powers that be once Maturi is gone) need to take a field trip to some SEC schools and see what the pre-game festivities there are like. Even mediocre programs like Ole Miss are epic in terms of what their fans do. I can't imagine something like that here in the State Where Nothing Is Allowed.

The powers that be at the U (ok, the powers that be once Maturi is gone) need to take a field trip to some SEC schools and see what the pre-game festivities there are like. Even mediocre programs like Ole Miss are epic in terms of what their fans do. I can't imagine something like that here in the State Where Nothing Is Allowed.

Ya, I'd much rather live in Mississippi.

Frustrating indeed

Basically, I stopped following the Vikings in late November and early December of 1999. Minnesota returned home from Happy Valley with a 6-3 record having having dropped the losses by a combined total of eleven points to ranked opponents in Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Purdue. Replete with it's own "stimulus package," the program came home to a crowd of 47,852 against Indiana (W: 44-20) -- well short of capacity at the Metrodome (or even, TCF Bank Stadium). Quite honestly, this pissed me off!

Originally, I thought that the pent-up demand for a winning season was finally satiated for the first time in nine years, recruiting would turn, and Gopher football would be important to the local sports community again. After reconnecting with friends from the U about the season, it dawned on me how challenging it was going to be. Fast forward four years to 2003 -- a ten win season averaging 44K. BTW - we won 20-14 at Penn State (3-9) again that year in front of 106K+.

I've invested considerable thought into why we seem to be in this position and think there are a number of factors that fit into the equation...
1. Depth of local HS talent base (OK, but more D2/FCS/D3 quality).
2. Local climate (more hype than substance relative to conference).
3. The University community (not the foundation of the collegiate experience as it is elsewhere).
4. Relative popularity of football (Hockey attracts more attention and talent than other places).
5. Importance & priority of the University to the citizenry (many other ed options; pub & prvt).

Not sure what to think...

Top Bottom