Band Question???

forestlaker

Reaction score
Last year a parent of a Band member told me the Band would be getting new uniforms for this season. Is this true? Does anyone have pictures of them?

No new uniforms this year, from everything I've heard. There may be some new replacement uniforms, but the design will be exactly the same.

No new uniforms. But last year we did purchase raincoats to go over the uniforms. They have a thinsulate lining to keep us warm in the winter.

New Entrance for Band?

Is the band going to be working on anything new for the new stadium? I am thinking pre-game (outside) and entrance to the stadium type stuff. Great opportunity to do something different. I would assume that the band must be fired up for a chance to be in a packed stadium. The dome acoustics were awful.

I would assume run cadence on to the field will have to be tweaked due to tunnel placement. I had also heard that rotating the M was out, but I am hoping that was just a rumor.

I would assume run cadence on to the field will have to be tweaked due to tunnel placement. I had also heard that rotating the M was out, but I am hoping that was just a rumor.

umnhcky can comment more about the design changes if he wishes but basically here is what I've heard more recently about the pre-game show.
-Run Cadence/Entry is different because of tunnel placement
-After that a lot is the same but backwards because the tunnel is on the opposite side of the field now
-there's more playing to both sides of the field during fanfare type stuff to fill the whole stadium with sound
-arrangement and layout of the instrumentation has been redone for a more balanced sound
-the "M" will rotate in the opposite direction :eek:
-gauntlet set at the end for the team to run through has been modified for the new tunnel placement

Additionally I think there is a different spell-out formation each week for the team we are playing, but I'm not sure what the status on that change is. All the long standing traditions such as the Battle Hymn swinging gates, Cascade/M-compression and expansion are of course still in.

What used to be the Chicago Ave march-up and plaza show is now a march around the stadium that starts between gates A and B, goes around clockwise to the ticket office side where they'll do a plaza show facing South towards Stadium Village. It's going on there because there isn't enough space on the plaza and there is plenty of green space for people to watch. I think they're calling that area the promenade.

Band!

I am sure they will figure out something! I go to the games to watch the band like a lot of people.

Go Gophers!!

First Game

Band had an optional rehearsal last Thursday (and another one this Thursday) and the first halftime show is just going to be a bunch of celebratory songs to celebrate being outside/in the new stadium...We worked on "Celebrate Good Times" (Or is it just "Celebrate"?) last week, not sure about the others. Aerogopher hit the nail on the head as far as pregame changes.

So the long awaited alternative after killing the Univ.

Avenue March is for the band to march half way around the outside of the stadium and play few songs????

This is even weaker than the Chicago Avenue march.

They really screwed this one up.

That and thousands of red clad fans in the suites and

Avenue March is for the band to march half way around the outside of the stadium and play few songs????

maybe in the student section will be enough to really piss me off.

Thank you UPnorth fan and your ilk for that one.

Thank you for reminding us how you and several other Gopher "super" fans can be so utterly anhedonic.

This is news to you? This has been the plan for months now...

Thank you for reminding us how you and several other Gopher "super" fans can be so utterly anhedonic.

Anhedonic? How dare you. I'd strongly prefer that you limit yourself to a 3rd-grade vocabulary so that I can understand you.:rolleyes:

*Insert xenophobia and/or sophomoric jab at intelligence here*

they could have done so much with being back on campus and instead they choose to march around in a circle. *duh*

It wasn't known that the plan would be as crappy

This is news to you? This has been the plan for months now...

as it appears to be.

Nice comprehenison skills.

It was known that the oh so disruptive 3 block march from the old Armory to the stadium was out.

It was implied they were working hard to come up with a good alternative. This plan is not very interesting.

I recall the U of M President and many others crowing about the restoring the tradition of the band marching down University Avenue once again, not the bank marching 250 yards past a couple of parking lots.

The U of M could F up just about anything.

I have no problem with this, I do have a suggestion

The whole stadium area is going to be a celebration so the band marching around the stadium is great.
The suggestion that I have is for the alumni band. I think they should play at every game and a perfect pre-game area for them to be is in front of Williams arena.
It is now like a stage and it would be great hearing the rouser in the Stadium Plaza/Williams/Mariucci areas.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as it appears to be.

Nice comprehenison skills.

It was known that the oh so disruptive 3 block march from the old Armory to the stadium was out.

It was implied they were working hard to come up with a good alternative. This plan is not very interesting.

I recall the U of M President and many others crowing about the restoring the tradition of the band marching down University Avenue once again, not the bank marching 250 yards past a couple of parking lots.

The U of M could F up just about anything.

Actually, it has been known that the plan would be this "crappy". Posters who are in/close to the band have mentioned in multiple prior threads that this was the plan.

I get that this is a big deal to some folks and I'm not going to rehash the multitude of reasons why I think not marching down the Ave is an understandable decision. My snippy response was due to the fact that this "crappy" decision is one of those topics that devolves a thread into nonsense every time it comes up (see also: alcohol ban). Some people think the U gave up too easy when the City said no. Others think that they had reasonable cause for making the change. All agree the march down the Ave would be awesome and lament that it will not be so.

Actually, it has been known that the plan would be this "crappy". Posters who are in/close to the band have mentioned in multiple prior threads that this was the plan.

I get that this is a big deal to some folks and I'm not going to rehash the multitude of reasons why I think not marching down the Ave is an understandable decision. My snippy response was due to the fact that this "crappy" decision is one of those topics that devolves a thread into nonsense every time it comes up (see also: alcohol ban). Some people think the U gave up too easy when the City said no. Others think that they had reasonable cause for making the change. All agree the march down the Ave would be awesome and lament that it will not be so.
Well said. I have to say that you can't convince me that the people who are stressing out about not marching down University like you described will ever be content with ANY replacement for that event. It's an issue that someone will occasionally bring up on a somewhat frequent basis for years to come. I get it. People want desperately to (in a way) relive some of the cool moments from when they were younger. But so much has changed since then, in the last couple years especially, and will continue to rapidly change over the next few years until new traditions take root. And that's all I'll say about it.

Being housed in the stadium, the band gets to do their uniform Inspection outside in an area where fans get to actually see it. It's a cool tradition that most fans haven't seen or heard of.

U of M / third rate once again

Please disprove my assertion that it will be lessimpressive pregame march than the load of crap that the band had the metrodome?

The band will not even set foot on what traditonally was the campus.

The band had a better pregame march at the Music City Bowl than they will have at our new on campus stadium. Compare that to Iowa, or other B10 Marching Bands.

Back to Campus and still 3rd rate.

What are those markings below the band??? A street?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GkkuvJmeZc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRPm...14B79CB0&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KyMZ0D5L-w

Please disprove my assertion that it will be lessimpressive pregame march than the load of crap that the band had the metrodome?

The band will not even set foot on what traditonally was the campus.

The band had a better pregame march at the Music City Bowl than they will have at our new on campus stadium. Compare that to Iowa, or other B10 Marching Bands.

What are those markings below the band??? A street?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GkkuvJmeZc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRPm...14B79CB0&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KyMZ0D5L-w

Good god you are a whiny little bitch.....

You don't ask much do you? "Please prove me wrong using as evidence an event that hasn't taken place yet. C'mon! I double dog dare you!!!" And yet, I can prove you wrong. Its pretty easy actually. One was off campus by the Metrodome. The other is on campus by a brand new stadium that happens to be gorgeous. A stadium that is the dream of every Gopher fan. A stadium that is the first true home the band has ever had. Advantage: Marching around the stadium. The band could stand in one place outside TCF and it would still be a superior event to the Dome.
Also, I'm sure the band members on the board appreciate having their events called 3rd rate just because they don't meet your requirements.

We (the band) are always looking for volunteers to help out, Oakstreet. I'm sure if you called the management and voiced your opinions they'd be glad to hear it.

I think the area around TCF is going to be absolutely wild on gamedays, topped probably only by Dinkytown. A march around the stadium will be awesome. To repeat what has already been said, don't knock something before it even happens. Maybe if it is as lame as you think it is going to be they'll decide to close down University to let the band march through. After this first test-ish year, who knows what will happen?

If I am a whiny little 230 lb bitch, then you are

Good god you are a whiny little bitch.....

a giant douchebag.

I did not appreciate all of the talk by Bruinicks and others about marching band followed up by what happened. Get over it. You do not have to agree.

Compare that to Iowa, or other B10 Marching Bands.

Oak - You sir, just proved that the rest of us don't need to disprove anything. Ripping the band and referencing an even worse band is not helping you out. It is apparent that your knowledge of big 10 bands is minimal at best.

You whine about a silly march around and rip the pre-game traditions that have become part of the fabric of this university. Chill out and enjoy what the band does and don't complain about what they don't. You'll be much happier. And if you don't think you can do that, please find an onramp labeled 35 South and go hang out with your favorite high school band to our south.

I like what the band does but I believe the directors need to "step up their game" providing those in the stands with high quality half time entertainment for sports fans. I want upbeat music and MOVEMENT, it is a marching band after all.Way too many dull songs in the dome, sometimes I felt like I was going to fall asleep, instead of peppy music to keep my energy going into the second half. I'll probably get bashed by some music majors but the directors need to remember that the students are performing at a football game, not a concert hall.

We (the band) are always looking for volunteers to help out, Oakstreet. I'm sure if you called the management and voiced your opinions they'd be glad to hear it.

I think the area around TCF is going to be absolutely wild on gamedays, topped probably only by Dinkytown. A march around the stadium will be awesome. To repeat what has already been said, don't knock something before it even happens. Maybe if it is as lame as you think it is going to be they'll decide to close down University to let the band march through. After this first test-ish year, who knows what will happen?

But then he would be the same whiny bitch who cries about everything thats wrong with this University.....

What I got out of all of this

is that someone needs to go on a diet or at least start a workout routine. Lets shed some of those pounds!!!!!
Whiny is one thing but fat and whiny is a different story.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom