Bailey Helgrem

Bailey only played in 7 games last year and last played on Dec 29th.. played a season high 24 minutes against Ole Miss on Dec 3rd...

played a career high 737 minutes in 18-19, scored 87 points, 181 rebounds, 25 blocks

On another thread, I noted that she opted out during the season. She made it known at the time that she was not returning.

It was odd, with three centers opting out at Kansas at the end of the calendar year and the coach noting that none were expected back. Kansas already seemed committed to playing a freshman gal from Greece who got freshman of the week honors a couple of times before fading against better teams in conference. Seems Helgrem can rebound a little, I had to look her up because even as a Big 12 guy her name didn't ring a bell. Kansas has owned 9th or 10th in the Big 12 for a number of years. The fact my Cyclones game with them a Lawrence was close was embarrassing, they've been really awful.

I try to stay positive.. but this feels like Fernstrom 2.0
Eh, I think it's considerably different in several regards. Fernstrom was something of a scorer so I think it was a let down when she wasn't able to do that here. The excpectations will be different for Helgrem.

Also, in defense of Fernstrom she was best suited to a slower paced game. She was really not the kind of player who could possibly thrive in Stollings' run and gun style. I don't know that there would be such a mismatch in this case.

Also, Helgrem won't have the strain of playing for an abusive jackass.

Eh, I think it's considerably different in several regards. Fernstrom was something of a scorer so I think it was a let down when she wasn't able to do that here. The excpectations will be different for Helgrem.

Also, in defense of Fernstrom she was best suited to a slower paced game. She was really not the kind of player who could possibly thrive in Stollings' run and gun style. I don't know that there would be such a mismatch in this case.

Also, Helgrem won't have the strain of playing for an abusive jackass.
I agree, we need a better defensive presence inside and rebounding, If she does those and is reasonably mobile getting from end to end she will be a good addition. Even if she was a Fernstrom clone that would still be a good addition in my opinion (Stats). Fernstrom could be kind of nifty around the basket but she lacked quickness although she had better footwork than many posts we have had. Fernstrom averaged 5pts & 5rbds a game at only 16 minutes/game, so if she had closer to starter minutes she would have been close to a double double player. In the one brief video online & Bailey looks like she might be mobile or at least more so than Fernstrom or Buckingham. At 6'5" she is certainly more imposing than anyone we currently have.

Last edited:

Top Bottom