Badgers QB Coan Has Surgery on Injured Foot, Will Miss Extended Time

The Wisconsin QB holds back the system, not the other way around

For whatever reason, they aren’t great at developing quarterbacks.

when they stumbled upon a great one (russel Wilson) they should’ve won a National title. They lost on a Hail Mary to MsU and then we’re out coached badly against TCU. But it showed they can be a high powered multi-dimensional offense if given the right QB. Until they find another elite QB they’ll have to be content being a top 15 program not a national title contender.
Edit: Mertz kid is a possibility at having that very QB.

Last edited:

And Brennan Armstrong, Virginia's future QB1 decommitted around that time. Fleck has raised our QB recruiting standard!
Brennan Armstrong was a year before Bachmeier, Mertz and Duggan. He has been playing nicely this year and acquitted himself well in their recent loss to Clemson.

This will only hurt the Badgers if their games are close and/or experience at QB is needed. Mertz can make the throws and WI has a higher ceiling with him as their QB. However, they also have a chance of losing a few games they otherwise would not as he goes through the growing pains. My guess is coaching staff was hoping to throw him in next year when they knew what they had at WR and RB and blame offensive weakness on Coan this year if things faltered. Now RB, WR and QB will all have to grow together. Hoping they flop!!.

You also get to throw several short passes to backs behind the line of scrimmage, bulking up your completion percentage! Coan's completion percentage last year was very high, but, if I recall, Tanner smoked Coan on throws downfield over 15 yards.
Unless my memory is faulty but when they both played against one another Coan and his team won handily and Coan threw one long TD pass.
Every team in the West is not as deep as tOSU and PSU and it is up to the position coaches to get raw players up to speed after losses from graduation.
The upcoming BIG season is going to be more volatile and unpredictable because of the potential loss of players to the virus.
The season W/L will have an asterisk next to it.

This will only hurt the Badgers if their games are close and/or experience at QB is needed. Mertz can make the throws and WI has a higher ceiling with him as their QB. However, they also have a chance of losing a few games they otherwise would not as he goes through the growing pains. My guess is coaching staff was hoping to throw him in next year when they knew what they had at WR and RB and blame offensive weakness on Coan this year if things faltered. Now RB, WR and QB will all have to grow together. Hoping they flop!!.
Good example of this, at least it seems so far this year: Spencer Rattler at OU. He was featured in a Netflix series on star QB's in high school a couple years ago, good watch if anyone's interested.

Granted, they throw the ball a lot more than I assume Sconnie ever will.

I have long ago quit assuming Wisconsin would be taking a big step back because of this or that. Thoughts like that used to comfort me back in the 00's and early 10's but I have since learned to simply hope and count on the Gophers getting better, rather than count on the Badgers getting worse to level that playing field. The arrival of Fleck is the best evidence yet that this playing field can be equal. Wisconsin will still be good this fall. Probably very good.

when they stumbled upon a great one (russel Wilson) they should’ve won a National title. They lost on a Hail Mary to MsU and then we’re out coached badly against TCU. But it showed they can be a high powered multi-dimensional offense if given the right QB. Until they find another elite QB they’ll have to be content being a top 15 program not a national title contender.
That team was finished 11-3 and was far from a national title caliber squad. They lost to Oregon, not TCU, lost to a bad 6-7 OSU team and also could have easily lost to MSU again in the Championship had a punt return not got called back.

However if you were to pair that offense with one of their more recent defenses from 2017 or 2019, they would have had a very good chance to win a national championship but the defense that year wasn't what it has been like in recent years.

That team was finished 11-3 and was far from a national title caliber squad. They lost to Oregon, not TCU, lost to a bad 6-7 OSU team and also could have easily lost to MSU again in the Championship had a punt return not got called back.

However if you were to pair that offense with one of their more recent defenses from 2017 or 2019, they would have had a very good chance to win a national championship but the defense that year wasn't what it has been like in recent years.

Hindsight is always 50/50. They were ranked 4th in the country until the Michigan St hail mary loss.

Those losses are always tough to bounce back from, and even though Ohio St wasn't good that year, they played them on the road the following week. A little Mason esque losing a heartbreaker, then having another dud the following week, however the loss was only by 4 points.

If Wisconsin doesn't lose on that hail mary, they could have ran the table in the regular season. They were only 10 points short of pulling it off regardless. Thanks Kirk Cousins!

I think it's worth nothing that the year that Wilson transferred in they had two NFL caliber wideouts in Nick Toon and Jared Abberderis. Other than Alex Erickson and Cephus they haven't had anyone on the outside that would have allowed a competent QB to open up the offense. This year especially I think their receivers will struggle to help Mertz, Wolf, or Vanden Boom and they will be even more uni-dimensional than normal.

Unless my memory is faulty but when they both played against one another Coan and his team won handily and Coan threw one long TD pass.
Every team in the West is not as deep as tOSU and PSU and it is up to the position coaches to get raw players up to speed after losses from graduation.
The upcoming BIG season is going to be more volatile and unpredictable because of the potential loss of players to the virus.
The season W/L will have an asterisk next to it.
I think he was talking about season stats, not that one game. Morgan's worst game of the year, BY FAR was against Wisconsin. It was probably one of Coan's best. Wisconsin had a good defensive scheme that day.

Hindsight is always 50/50. They were ranked 4th in the country until the Michigan St hail mary loss.

Those losses are always tough to bounce back from, and even though Ohio St wasn't good that year, they played them on the road the following week. A little Mason esque losing a heartbreaker, then having another dud the following week, however the loss was only by 4 points.

If Wisconsin doesn't lose on that hail mary, they could have ran the table in the regular season. They were only 10 points short of pulling it off regardless. Thanks Kirk Cousins!
I agree if they don’t lose on that Hail Mary they could have maybe played in the title game but I was responding to a post that said they should have been national champions.

If you are truly the best team in all of CFB then you shouldn’t let it get that close to begin with, especially not twice to a team like MSU.

LSU absolutely blew out OU last year who was #4 in the country, in 2012, Bama absolutely blew out ND who was #1 in the country. The 2014 buckeye national title team blew out Wisconsin 59-0 in the big ten championship and beat an Oregon team by 20 who blew out #4 FSU in the playoff.

Point is if you are truly the best team in the country then you blow out teams like MSU and OSU and even Oregon who LSU best handily that same year.
Not get into a dogfight all 4 games and lose 3.

I agree if they don’t lose on that Hail Mary they could have maybe played in the title game but I was responding to a post that said they should have been national champions.

If you are truly the best team in all of CFB then you shouldn’t let it get that close to begin with, especially not twice to a team like MSU.

LSU absolutely blew out OU last year who was #4 in the country, in 2012, Bama absolutely blew out ND who was #1 in the country. The 2014 buckeye national title team blew out Wisconsin 59-0 in the big ten championship and beat an Oregon team by 20 who blew out #4 FSU in the playoff.

Point is if you are truly the best team in the country then you blow out teams like MSU and OSU and even Oregon who LSU best handily that same year.

I also disagree with the statement that they 'should have been national champions', but that's still one of the best Wisconsin teams I've seen, and they were legit contenders until the OSU loss.

That was the year Alabama won by beating LSU the 2nd time they played, after losing the 1st time, and not even making the SEC championship game.

Wisconsin also blew out #8 at the time Nebraska, and #20 Penn St, by more than Alabama beat Penn St by when they played earlier in the season.

National championship teams do typically blow out most teams, but they also end up in at least 1 or 2 slugfests at some point during the season. Last year's LSU team was loaded, and they still played close games with Texas, Auburn, and Alabama.

Yeah and Florida State won a national title by winning close games

That Wisconsin team would’ve been competitive with both Oregon and auburn that year in the national title game

Yeah and Florida State won a national title by winning close games

That Wisconsin team would’ve been competitive with both Oregon and auburn that year in the national title game
Disagree.

Aabama and LSU played in the title game last year and both would have won by double digits at leastIMO. The 2011 Bama D was on of the best defenses in college football history and easily the best this decade. You could make the case LSU's D that year was the second best of the decade.

I also disagree with the statement that they 'should have been national champions', but that's still one of the best Wisconsin teams I've seen, and they were legit contenders until the OSU loss.

That was the year Alabama won by beating LSU the 2nd time they played, after losing the 1st time, and not even making the SEC championship game.

Wisconsin also blew out #8 at the time Nebraska, and #20 Penn St, by more than Alabama beat Penn St by when they played earlier in the season.

National championship teams do typically blow out most teams, but they also end up in at least 1 or 2 slugfests at some point during the season. Last year's LSU team was loaded, and they still played close games with Texas, Auburn, and Alabama.
The 2011 Wisconsin team had certainly best and most efficient offense of any badger team in recent memory but I think the 2010 team and 2017 teams were just as good.

The 2011 team is the sexiest but not necessarily the best. We just tend to remember it the best because of how good Russell Wilson was and what he ended up doing in the NFL. I do think they are as good as any badger team but not clearly the best. The 2017 team went 13-1 and beat #10 Miami in their bowl game and the 2010 team went 11-2 and beat #1 OSU who went on to finish 12-1. The 2017 was just as good if not better on D as the 2011 team on O.

Disagree.

Aabama and LSU played in the title game last year and both would have won by double digits at leastIMO. The 2011 Bama D was on of the best defenses in college football history and easily the best this decade. You could make the case LSU's D that year was the second best of the decade.
I had the wrong year.
I don’t think LSU or Bama could’ve score many point on Wisconsin and it would’ve been a close low scoring game.

sometimes the team with the best quarterback wins that kind of game.

They didn’t win it. But if you don’t think they were contenders that year you feel free to think that.

I don't think Coan is a true difference maker, but he was REALLY good against the Gophers last year. However, having a steady person with experience with all the newcomers they have on O was something that they needed for this year, especially without the warm-up guarantee games and going right in to Big Ten play. Him being injured & Mertz coming in I do not think is a good thing in terms of this season.

Last year, their whole team (offense, defense, special teams, coaching) was really good when they played Minnesota. I have my personal thoughts about who was the better team over the whole season, but there was no doubt that Wisconsin deserved the west, especially with the 2nd, 3rd & early 4th quarter beatdown they put on the Gophers.

I don't think Coan is a true difference maker, but he was REALLY good against the Gophers last year. However, having a steady person with experience with all the newcomers they have on O was something that they needed for this year, especially without the warm-up guarantee games and going right in to Big Ten play. Him being injured & Mertz coming in I do not think is a good thing in terms of this season.

Last year, their whole team (offense, defense, special teams, coaching) was really good when they played Minnesota. I have my personal thoughts about who was the better team over the whole season, but there was no doubt that Wisconsin deserved the west, especially with the 2nd, 3rd & early 4th quarter beatdown they put on the Gophers.
Good points.

FWIW, they have a relatively "soft" Big Ten opening. First game is at home vs Illinois. Now, maybe the Fighting Lovies come in and shock the world. But that is not the expected outcome.

They travel to perpetually overrated Nebraska, to face the a Huskers team having likely just been brow-beaten by Ohio State the week before. Then return to Madison to face Pur-don't. Then the fun begins in earnest after that.

I get the feeling that this injury will just harden Wisconsin's resolve defensively. Unless Mertz sets the world on fire, their D is going to go into every game assuming that it's up to them to get the W. They were already going to be awfully tough. Tanner and Co. are good enough to be up to the task, but they sure can't lay another egg like last year.

Top Bottom