Badgers Get 4* RB From Clemson

The Gophers aren’t the only ones benefiting from the Transfer Portal.

Badgers have always concentrated on a good ground game. Jalen Berger, freshman who played a lot last year, was 4* 0.9374 out of HS. Transfer Mellusi, who has three years of eligibility, was a 4* 0.9105 out of HS. I think the Gophers have made real off-season strides, both in personnel and development, in run defense. But the big dogs in the B1G West keep improving as well. Really looking forward to this coming season.

The Gophers aren’t the only ones benefiting from the Transfer Portal.
Pretty sure that was never really in doubt :). Lots of players in the portal moving all over the place.

In regards to this move, clearly they aren't 100% sold on Berger being the guy and felt they needed to bring in more bodies. Has been odd seeing Wisconsin with any uncertainty at the RB position after the long run they have had where it always seemed like the heir apparent to the current stud back was waiting in the wings. Has not been that way since JT moved on.

Pretty sure that was never really in doubt :). Lots of players in the portal moving all over the place.

In regards to this move, clearly they aren't 100% sold on Berger being the guy and felt they needed to bring in more bodies. Has been odd seeing Wisconsin with any uncertainty at the RB position after the long run they have had where it always seemed like the heir apparent to the current stud back was waiting in the wings. Has not been that way since JT moved on.
I think they’re sold on Berger. I don’t think they’re sold on anyone behind him.

I think they’re sold on Berger. I don’t think they’re sold on anyone behind him.
Maybe, but Berger is pretty young still and it seems a little unlikely that this kid from Clemson wants to go play second fiddle to someone for the next 3 years. I doubt he would go there if he didn't at least feel he had a solid shot at winning the starting job.

Maybe, but Berger is pretty young still and it seems a little unlikely that this kid from Clemson wants to go play second fiddle to someone for the next 3 years. I doubt he would go there if he didn't at least feel he had a solid shot at winning the starting job.
Good point. It would be nice to see them miss on some RBs for a change. Although it stinks to see them get a Clemson guy for 3 years.

He went to Clemson, apparently not afraid of a crowd of competition.

maybe new guy takes most of the carries and berger defects. There is only room for 1 alpha dog.

I wouldn’t read into it too much. The Badgers likely would’ve added someone earlier than this if they were that worried. You take talent when you can. Every kid seems to think they can start somewhere else.

Injuries and fatigue are part of the game. Maybe WI is looking for another RB to form the “pair.” They have some pretty serviceable spares, but all seem to be a step down from Berger.

Last edited:

Injuries and fatigue are part of the game. Maybe WI is looking for another RB to form the “pair.” They have some pretty serviceable spares, but all seem to be a step down from Berger.
Son of a gun, just when I didn't think it could be worse, you point out a potential two-headed monster. Ugh. At least they won't be able to run it down our throats like that '09 game I think. Did Val Martin play in the spring game?

I wouldn’t read into it too much. The Badgers likely would’ve added someone earlier than this if they were that worried. You take talent when you can. Every kid seems to think they can start somewhere else.
I'm definitely not one who predicts the downfall of the Badgers, but last year was one of the first times since the Mason years where we clearly had the better RB and this year will be the same as long as Mo is healthy.

Berger may well turn out to be the guy but this is the first time in a while where it doesn't feel like a slam dunk that Wisconsin is going to have an elite RB in the backfield the way it has for so long.

Just another indication of a way we have narrowed the gap in recent years between us and Wisconsin.

I’m beginning to like the speculation that WI got a Clemson 4* transfer (who won’t be the guy replacing Ettiene at Clemson) because Berger, though clearly talented, might not be a bell cow back. Maybe he isn’t good for 25 carries a week for 12+ weeks. And, prior to the Clemson transfer, there was no WI RB who could come close to unseating Berger. At the risk of ignoring history, I am tempted to say the Gophers have more depth and cumulative talent at RB than WI does. Maybe this is the year that WI relies on Mertz and its suffocating defense.

Taylor did not play every down.
No RB in the BIG should be asked to play almost every down even if they want to.

I think the guy to be concerned about is Braelon Allen. Played RB this spring as a senior in HS. Originally was coming to play defense. Now, he will start at RB. 6-2 240, can run. Absolute stud.

I think the guy to be concerned about is Braelon Allen. Played RB this spring as a senior in HS. Originally was coming to play defense. Now, he will start at RB. 6-2 240, can run. Absolute stud.
He looks to be a great athlete, but 1) he doesn't have a long history at RB, 2) he skipped a year of high school to be part of the 2021 class. I don't think it's a guarantee he'll be a great RB, especially not right away.

Taylor did not play every down.
No RB in the BIG should be asked to play almost every down even if they want to.
No RB plays every down. Nobody said any RB should play every down. Even Taylor sometimes approached 30 carries a game. That will probably be true for Mo too.

The point of WI recruiting a proven running back, and training a potential running back to go along with a possible very good running back is avoid using "the" or "a" in describing the running back siuation at WI.

Top Bottom