Badgers and National Anthem

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered (I searched for it, but couldn't find anything)...

Am I the only one who was bothered by the Badgers not being on the field for the National Anthem?

Am I the only one who was bothered by the Badgers not being on the field for the National Anthem?

No, you're not the only one. It appears every other whiny Gopher fan here is bothered by this complete non-issue as well.

How is it a non-issue? If they chose not to come out for the anthem, it's an issue. If they were not told to come out on time, it's an issue. It bothered me that the team wasn't out on the field, not that they were Badgers. I think both teams should be on the field for the national anthem and that didn't happen. If that's whiny, then so be it.

At the pregame meal, the Badgers double dipped a chip. It was like putting their whole mouth right in the dip!
classless!

They're red, what do you expect? Classless, unpatriotic trash (hey, it's wisconsin, i'll pull no punches).

No, you're not the only one. It appears every other whiny Gopher fan here is bothered by this complete non-issue as well.

sfbadger, if it bothers people it bothers people. Don't get so defensive. If you don't think its an issue, why do you bother posting about it. Many on here are very patriotic and the National Anthem is a nice opportunity to recognize it, even as simple and common as the Anthem is. If it's not a big deal to Badger fans then so be it. It's not as if the original poster came on your board and asked about it. This is a Gopher board and we are proud that it's important to Brewster that we're on the field for the Anthem. That's not a priority for BB.

Go Gophers!!

The badgers are UNAMERICAN for not partipating in the National Anthem.....I knew there was something wrong with that color.

I honestly can't remember a time when one of the teams for ANY sporting event (high school, college, pro) and of any sport wasn't on the field/court/ice for the national anthem.

I guess I would like to know is this typical for Wisconsin? Anyone ever see them on the road elsewhere?

Neither team is on the field at Wisconsin when the NA is played. It all depends on when they decided to play it. Other then the Superbowl, most NFL teams arent on the field either for the anthem. Its a non story.

Wouldn't the decision of when to come out be Bielema's call? Maybe it was a mistake on his part or shows poor judgment, but I don't think it's fair to throw the players under the bus for it. It's not their call.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal.
FYI: The Gophers weren't on the field for the National Anthem in Madison last year.
Haha really? Whoops.

"In-breds in red" were snacking on last minute cheese curds and 2% in the locker room. :rolleyes:

Class-less program and class-less coach = expected

I think there are still logistical issues to work out. The national anthem used to be 15 minutes before kickoff in the middle of the band's pregame show, but I thought I read here once that after the Big Ten Network came along, they wanted to have the national anthem on TV with the teams on the field, so they asked that it not occur until closer to kickoff.

So the U obliged and re-wrote the band's pregame show to make the anthem happen right at the end, after the team comes on the field. Now that the anthem is right at the end of the show and close to kickoff, there isn't a lot of time to sit and wait for the other team. To me it seemed like the Gophers basically ran on the field and lined up, and then it started. Then once it starts, Wisconsin is not going to start coming out in the middle of it, so they have to wait for it to finish. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Also if I remember correctly, Either Cal or Air Force wasn't even all the way out and when they started the national anthem.

Prior to Brew, neither team at the Dome came out for the NA (from what I recall)

This is an issue.

Is it the official policy of the taxpayer-funded University of Wisconsin to disrespect those who died for their freedom and ability to actually receive their education at this school? Is it the official position of the taxpayer-funded University of Wisconsin to purposely disrespect their fellow citizens in attendance by willfully disrespecting their country through this action?

Where are the good people of Wisconsin? Do they really support their state University disrespecting their country all the while taking millions of dollars from their citizens?

It's time for Badgerdom to stand up and protest this abuse of power by the liberal nutbars at this University and take it back.

Its an issue but not really, If Gophers won, would this thread have even started? Proabably not.

Also if I remember correctly, Either Cal or Air Force wasn't even all the way out and when they started the national anthem.

That is because the Air Force players are against America.

Yes

Its an issue but not really, If Gophers won, would this thread have even started? Proabably not.

Yes, I would have started the thread anyway. It is the first time I've been to any sporting event where both teams weren't on the field for the national anthem. Win or lose, I think it's disrespectful. I don't blame the players, but I do blame any coach who chooses not to have his/her team on the field for that moment.

Yes, I would have started the thread anyway. It is the first time I've been to any sporting event where both teams weren't on the field for the national anthem. Win or lose, I think it's disrespectful. I don't blame the players, but I do blame any coach who chooses not to have his/her team on the field for that moment.

I believe the Badgers intended to be on the field, but the pre-game video conference pep-talk with Osama Bin laden ran long.

You should worry about important stuff.

This is an issue.

Is it the official policy of the taxpayer-funded University of Wisconsin to disrespect those who died for their freedom and ability to actually receive their education at this school? Is it the official position of the taxpayer-funded University of Wisconsin to purposely disrespect their fellow citizens in attendance by willfully disrespecting their country through this action?

Where are the good people of Wisconsin? Do they really support their state University disrespecting their country all the while taking millions of dollars from their citizens?

It's time for Badgerdom to stand up and protest this abuse of power by the liberal nutbars at this University and take it back.

It's because we're Communists. Or Terrorists. One or the other; I get confused each week. Anyway, some kind of bad "ist."

As to what the University of Wisconsin believes, I quote a Report of the Board of Regents, 1894:

Whatever may be the limitations which trammel inquiry elsewhere, we believe that the great State University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found.

So the U obliged and re-wrote the band's pregame show to make the anthem happen right at the end, after the team comes on the field. Now that the anthem is right at the end of the show and close to kickoff, there isn't a lot of time to sit and wait for the other team. To me it seemed like the Gophers basically ran on the field and lined up, and then it started. Then once it starts, Wisconsin is not going to start coming out in the middle of it, so they have to wait for it to finish. I wouldn't be too concerned.

This is correct. The Big 10 has "requested" in the past couple of years that all teams be out for the Banner. A certain coach in PA doesn't want to change what he has done for a long, long time, so the new protocol is merely a request at this time. Many of the schools have now altered their shows to move the Banner to the end so teams can be out. Not all teams elect to do so, WI is one of those.

Prior to last year the Banner was about 8 minutes before kick and neither team was out. Brewster agreed to the switch so the Gophers now come out for it.

This is correct. The Big 10 has "requested" in the past couple of years that all teams be out for the Banner. A certain coach in PA doesn't want to change what he has done for a long, long time, so the new protocol is merely a request at this time. Many of the schools have now altered their shows to move the Banner to the end so teams can be out. Not all teams elect to do so, WI is one of those.

Prior to last year the Banner was about 8 minutes before kick and neither team was out. Brewster agreed to the switch so the Gophers now come out for it.

Sanity reigns. Thanks for clarifying. Hope some of your fellow 'Holesters recant for all those vicious accusations.

Yeah, we're unpatriotic trash...

They're red, what do you expect? Classless, unpatriotic trash (hey, it's wisconsin, i'll pull no punches).

Listen up: You can question protocols of coaches all you want (I suppose JoPa's a scumbag too right?) but don't you dare go on applying a procedural decision to the people of Wisconsin.

Here's the facts:

Operation Enduring Freedom: WI casualties: 10 deaths, 80 wounded. MN: 8 & 41.
Operation Iraqi Freedom: WI casualties: 90 deaths, 596 wounded. MN: 65 & 520.
Source: US DOD

National Guard Active Duty: WI: 2252 MN: 1830 US Veteran's Administation CTS from Dec 2008

State Populations: WI: 5,627,967 MN: 5,220,393
Source: Wikipedia

So, although WI is only 7% larger by population, it has 39% more KIAs, 20% more wounded, and 23% more National Guard troops on active duty.

So, _I_ will pull no punches: you tell me who the "unpatriotic trash" is?

Listen up: You can question protocols of coaches all you want (I suppose JoPa's a scumbag too right?) but don't you dare go on applying a procedural decision to the people of Wisconsin.

Here's the facts:

Operation Enduring Freedom: WI casualties: 10 deaths, 80 wounded. MN: 8 & 41.
Operation Iraqi Freedom: WI casualties: 90 deaths, 596 wounded. MN: 65 & 520.
Source: US DOD

National Guard Active Duty: WI: 2252 MN: 1830 US Veteran's Administation CTS from Dec 2008

State Populations: WI: 5,627,967 MN: 5,220,393
Source: Wikipedia

So, although WI is only 7% larger by population, it has 39% more KIAs, 20% more wounded, and 23% more National Guard troops on active duty.

So, _I_ will pull no punches: you tell me who the "unpatriotic trash" is?

Lighten up Francis.

Lighten up Francis.

What he said, you calling him unpatriotic?!?!

117942261.jpg

Bit of a mancrush I see..........

What he said, you calling him unpatriotic?!?!

117942261.jpg

I guess some of us are so obsessed with Decker, we even take pictures of him.

To the Badger fan with the war stats, while I don't agree with calling your team unpatriotic (well aside from your hockey teams CCCP look alikes), there are two Gophers on the football team that have served the country. Yes this is slightly off topic, but so is state of Wisconsin vs State of Minnesota data.

To the fellow Gopher fans. They won we lost. We have Purdue this week Homecoming week!!! Lets move on. Besides the banner, why should Wisconsin live rent free on our board? The 120th will be here soon enough.

This is an issue.

classic. I never thought a hilariously stupid fan base could become more deranged, but here it is.

Paging China Gopher!

Top Bottom