Badger Wire ranks B1G QBs

per the link, here's the part I presume most of us care about:

No. 4: Tanner Morgan -- Minnesota

Stop me if you've heard this before: after a remarkable 2019 campaign, Morgan really struggled during 2020's shortened season. A good part of that can be attributed to the departure of wideout Tyler Johnson and a Golden Gopher offense that wasn't able to repeat 2019's impressive down-field numbers. But experience is key here for Morgan, and with Mohamed Ibrahim's stellar presence in the run game as well as Chris Autman-Bell on the outside, a bounce-back campaign is likely. When you look through the quarterbacks in the conference, struggles in 2020 are so tough to judge. But when you have a veteran that's done it before in a big way, you have to think a return to good form is likely.

Go Gophers!!

It seems like most of the excuses they make for Mertz should apply to Morgan as well.

Penix impressed me in the bit I watched him play last year, but his completion percentage was only 56%. That's 1.5% lower than Morgan's supposedly disastrous 2020 season.

per the link, here's the part I presume most of us care about:

No. 4: Tanner Morgan -- Minnesota

Stop me if you've heard this before: after a remarkable 2019 campaign, Morgan really struggled during 2020's shortened season. A good part of that can be attributed to the departure of wideout Tyler Johnson and a Golden Gopher offense that wasn't able to repeat 2019's impressive down-field numbers. But experience is key here for Morgan, and with Mohamed Ibrahim's stellar presence in the run game as well as Chris Autman-Bell on the outside, a bounce-back campaign is likely. When you look through the quarterbacks in the conference, struggles in 2020 are so tough to judge. But when you have a veteran that's done it before in a big way, you have to think a return to good form is likely.

Go Gophers!!
I appreciate the self-awreness.

It seems like most of the excuses they make for Mertz should apply to Morgan as well.

Penix impressed me in the bit I watched him play last year, but his completion percentage was only 56%. That's 1.5% lower than Morgan's supposedly disastrous 2020 season.
Penix and Mertz are the two most overrated players in the conference.

Indiana goes 6-6
Wisconsin contends in (and I think Iowa wins) the west in spite of QB play, not because of it

Wow, they like us!

WaterySinfulAmericantoad-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

I am looking forward to seeing how Tanner Morgan and the Gophers experienced OL and the emergence of the next group of WRs can win the Big Ten West crown.

The article actually was pretty complimentary to Tanner and predicted a bounce back season for him. If Morgan's 2021 passing statistics place him within the top four of the conference, Minnesota should have a fine season.

I don't blame them for puffing their guy and Penix is the darling of the media who have a consensus that he is the best QB in the conference (or the best quarterback outside of whichever one plays for Ohio State).

Indiana goes 6-6
Wisconsin contends in (and I think Iowa wins) the west in spite of QB play, not because of it
Why do you say that about Penix? I've seen him play a couple of times and he seemed pretty electric -- but I don't know anything beyond that.

Mertz may turn out to be good but nothing he’s done thus far justifies his ranking. Being old school, Mr fancy pants’ “personal brand” getting driven into the turf in a Sconnie L would be satisfying.

Why do you say that about Penix? I've seen him play a couple of times and he seemed pretty electric -- but I don't know anything beyond that.
He is like a 55% passer coming off a knee injury. He plays for Indiana. Pardon me for not thinking Indiana will be a top 15 team this year when they lost so much.

How many wins against teams over .500 did they have last year.

1. A close win against 4-3 Wisconsin. Meanwhile the gophers lost in OT to wisconsin and people have Minnesota picked much lower. Minnesota returns more.

beating Michigan and penn state last year before people realized those two teams were mediocre at best has long term skewed people’s opinion of Indiana for 2021

The east sucked last year. Indiana’s season last year is like Minnesota’s 2019 if Minnesota had canceled the Penn State and auburn games instead of winning them. Still a great season. But no evidence to suggest it’s a great team.

Indiana goes 6-6
Iowa has a great program and I've envied their success over the years, but I don't get the love this year. They lost so much talent on both sides of the ball and have a pretty pedestrian QB (although he could obviously improve). I have no doubt they'll be a very solid team, but I have a hard time seeing them winning the West. Wisconsin's defense is gonna be SO good...and Minnesota's offense has the potential to be pretty elite. But hey, it's why they play the games.

Iowa has a great program and I've envied their success over the years, but I don't get the love this year. They lost so much talent on both sides of the ball and have a pretty pedestrian QB (although he could obviously improve). I have no doubt they'll be a very solid team, but I have a hard time seeing them winning the West. Wisconsin's defense is gonna be SO good...and Minnesota's offense has the potential to be pretty elite. But hey, it's why they play the games.
Yeah it’ll be Iowa vs Wisconsin game for the division title IMO

Top Bottom