Badger starting Right Tackle Casey Dehnn gone.

Jeez. I have grown up my whole life in the shadow of Camp Randall Stadium, gone to games there every year of my life, every birthday party I've ever had has been at a Badger game since I was 3, (and that was in the mid 80's when we were one of about 10,000 people in the stands), basically grown up at the same time as the program has grown, and because I wanted to go to a different city for college I am a terrible person? I answered a question about the upcoming Wisconsin depth chart in a thread about the Wisconsin depth chart. Sure you have seen a lot of UW and IA trolls but I would expect you to be smart enough to differentiate between chest thumpers and people who come to talk football. I made no grand statements about Badger superiority, simply gave my opinion on this years team and brought up a point about the hypocrisy on both sides for ignoring the whole timeline of the programs in favor of a smaller sample of only successful years.

I have bleed Badger red my whole life, I am one of those few Wisconsinites who is way more into the Badgers then the Packers. My first job was selling hot chocolate in the stands of the Camp when I was 10. I remember when we were the conference punching bag and teams scheduled us for the automatic win. I remember when my friends and I could walk right into the games and sit on the 50 yard line after the third quarter because there were so few people there that they opened up the gates for free. I was at the michigan game in 93 and almost died in the crush, I was at the Dayne game when he made his first start and when he set the NCAA rushing record and 20 in between. I stayed up till 4 in the morning listening to the Hawaii game on the radio, trying not to wake up my parents, when he had 330 yards in three quarters as a true freshmen. And most vividly I remember dancing with my parents on State Street at 3 in the morning when we beat MSU in Tokyo to go to the Rose Bowl in 93. My teachers growing up have been former Badger football players three different years. Our high school team was coached by former Badgers. Our pee wee football championship game was played at Camp Randall, right on the terrible old astroturf. I went to high school with 4 guys who ended up playing football at UW. One of my closest friends growing up is now a coach on the team. I'm not some bandwagon fan, I grew up on the UW campus and Badger football has been an integral part of my entire life, good and bad.

And you think the proper thing to do is to abandon all of that because I wanted to experience a different city for college? I'm a trojan horse because I refuse to root against my entire upbringing? Ridiculous. Were you not Gopher fans your whole lives? You didn't start following college football until you were a student here? If you were a fan as a kid you would have had no problem rooting for UW or Iowa after a life time of rooting against them? Some interesting expectations of fandom there. Call me all the names you want I have no shame for being proud of the city where I'm from and yet choosing to broaden my world view somewhere else. I had my choice of both schools and I chose the U to get out of Madison. My academic loyalty is unquestionably with UMN, just not my athletic loyalty. Be ashamed of the other 20,000 U students who couldn't even name the starting QB and have never supported the football team.

I really hope Kill can turn the team around. Its no fun walking on eggshells around my friends because I don't want to kick them when they are down. Only time will tell if he's the right guy but he seems to have a solid plan in place. Even with all this I really just want to talk about football. All I ask is you judge me by the quality of my posts and not just blindly call me stupid because other Badger fans have run their mouths here before.

How warmly are diehard Gopher fans received in Madison?

On the side note, Bret Bielema's Hawkeye tattoo didn't deter him from seeking the win against Iowa.

I check the Hole every day, and have since I was a freshman in 03. I just recently (like in the last week) re-enrolled at the U so I thought I would test the waters. I didn't want to post in a thread about the Gophers because I didn't think that would be appreciated, so I waited for some threads on the Badgers to be started to post. I have made zero comments on the commitments, that is not why I'm here. I had no idea anyone got banned, I just try to skim past all the nonsense name calling BS so I wasn't aware of any of that, beyond that people don't like Badger 2010. I usually never post because of irrational hate-fest threads like this where no one even reads the posts, they just respond to posts with 'what you said,blah blah blah Badgers suck and always will suck and you are dumb'. I thought I would try to keep it on the field or at least a civil disagreement. We can debate the standings of the programs without 4th grade name calling. I don't expect people to respond with glee to posts about the Badgers but I would expect that people act like adults. Calling people unbelievable stupid for disagreeing with you on a completely subjective issue, like sports fandom, speaks for itself.

Ole you are right I should have said mediocre when referring to the last 50 years, not terrible. I agree with you over the whole history of the programs UMN is still ahead. But I feel in any relevant discussion of college athletics much more weight is put on recent achievements, or should UW basketball start thumping their chests about that 1941 title banner hanging in the Kohl? That would be laughable right? The game has totally changed, and while no one can take that title away from us, no one is going to bring that up in support of this years team. In recent history, and I don't think it is unreasonable to call the last 20 years recent history, there is no comparison. UW is on the verge of becoming a true reload-not-rebuild powerhouse.

I think you may have missed part of my post. There was no 'typical drunken Badger fan who has no sense of history' in there. I fully acknowledge our years of futility. I even mentioned twice how I used to go to games when there was no one there because we sucked so much, as well as our years as a auto win for the big boys. I don't deny that, if anything I try to bring it up more often so we can really appreciate just how far we have come.

To those thinking going to a school means you MUST be a fan of that school I don't get it. I guess its a different experience for those who didn't grow up on campus with Gopher/Badger sports being everywhere around you, I can see how the loyalty isn't as deep. Obviously you know how ridiculously petty you sound when you claim that YOUR WAY is the ONLY WAY to do it right, I'm just going to chalk that up to venting frustration about the de-commit.

All I can say is that football never even entered my mindset when I was looking at schools for college. I am and always will be a fan of the Badgers. Where I get my education is totally separate from that in my mind. I see UW as a city team more so then I see them as a school. I could care less about the school, but I can hear the crowd cheer from my bedroom, how could I not be a fan of that team? People tailgate on my front lawn its just part of where I'm from. Those of you calling me names are obviously not from the city or least didn't grow up near the campus or you wouldn't even question it.

I check the Hole every day, and have since I was a freshman in 03. I just recently (like in the last week) re-enrolled at the U so I thought I would test the waters. I didn't want to post in a thread about the Gophers because I didn't think that would be appreciated, so I waited for some threads on the Badgers to be started to post. I have made zero comments on the commitments, that is not why I'm here. I had no idea anyone got banned, I just try to skim past all the nonsense name calling BS so I wasn't aware of any of that, beyond that people don't like Badger 2010. I usually never post because of irrational hate-fest threads like this where no one even reads the posts, they just respond to posts with 'what you said,blah blah blah Badgers suck and always will suck and you are dumb'. I thought I would try to keep it on the field or at least a civil disagreement. We can debate the standings of the programs without 4th grade name calling. I don't expect people to respond with glee to posts about the Badgers but I would expect that people act like adults. Calling people unbelievable stupid for disagreeing with you on a completely subjective issue, like sports fandom, speaks for itself.

Ole you are right I should have said mediocre when referring to the last 50 years, not terrible. I agree with you over the whole history of the programs UMN is still ahead. But I feel in any relevant discussion of college athletics much more weight is put on recent achievements, or should UW basketball start thumping their chests about that 1941 title banner hanging in the Kohl? That would be laughable right? The game has totally changed, and while no one can take that title away from us, no one is going to bring that up in support of this years team. In recent history, and I don't think it is unreasonable to call the last 20 years recent history, there is no comparison. UW is on the verge of becoming a true reload-not-rebuild powerhouse.

I think you may have missed part of my post. There was no 'typical drunken Badger fan who has no sense of history' in there. I fully acknowledge our years of futility. I even mentioned twice how I used to go to games when there was no one there because we sucked so much, as well as our years as a auto win for the big boys. I don't deny that, if anything I try to bring it up more often so we can really appreciate just how far we have come.

To those thinking going to a school means you MUST be a fan of that school I don't get it. I guess its a different experience for those who didn't grow up on campus with Gopher/Badger sports being everywhere around you, I can see how the loyalty isn't as deep. Obviously you know how ridiculously petty you sound when you claim that YOUR WAY is the ONLY WAY to do it right, I'm just going to chalk that up to venting frustration about the de-commit.

All I can say is that football never even entered my mindset when I was looking at schools for college. I am and always will be a fan of the Badgers. Where I get my education is totally separate from that in my mind. I see UW as a city team more so then I see them as a school. I could care less about the school, but I can hear the crowd cheer from my bedroom, how could I not be a fan of that team? People tailgate on my front lawn its just part of where I'm from. Those of you calling me names are obviously not from the city or least didn't grow up near the campus or you wouldn't even question it.

Again, are die hard Gopher fans treated any better at UW - Madison? On Wisconsin message boards?

You showed up here on the day a top local MN kid flipped to the badgers and minutes after another badger troll had been banned. You had something besides "football talk in mind"

YOUR QUOTEs:
"You can't say 'UW fans are dumb because they have only been good for 20 years"
"why do the last 50 years of terrible football not count against UMN's status"

UW has only been good the last 20 years.
The last 50 years UW has been worse than the U for 30 and better than the U for 20 not simply better than the U.
The U was much better than UW the previous 90 years of our two programs histories, including 6 national titles.

You are the epitome of a UW fan. To you nothing before 1990 exists.
Congrats. Enjoy your blowhard assface of a coach. Enjoy your wins now because there is really no reason your program can't fall back to the pack again. Iowa did after Fry. Nebraska did after Solich. Michigan even did under richrod. You are one or two bad decisions away from becoming very mediocre, and 3 or 4 bad decisions from being back to 1989.

I did not say that UW was better then UMN during those 50 years. I said UW has been very good for the last 20 years and it has been 50+ years since UMN was at that level.

Neither team was anything worth bragging about during the ~25 years from the late 60's to the 90's but if you want to claim that as an era of Gopher superiority I don't have a counter to that.

The Gopher peak has so far been higher then the Badgers currant run, but this run is in no way over yet. We already have more Rose Bowl wins. Also it is obviously a much bigger deal to win a title today, what with the civil rights act opening up the south and the formalized NCAA title process. No more claiming National Titles when you lose your bowl game.

You're right, one or two bad decisions and we could be back to a middle of the pack team. The problem with that is that there has been absolutely nothing that suggests that is going to happen. The talent level is higher then its ever been, the athletic budget has been in the black for close to a decade and new facilities have been built/upgraded all over campus. Could it change? Sure, but I'm not going to worry about that until we start to see some kind of evidence of this downfall beyond Gopher/Hawkeye message board hopes and wild assumptions.

Bigdsrip, are you a Gopher fan at all? I'm curious because my situation is the reverse of yours. I grew up a Gopher fan and I despised UW. I transferred there after two years elsewhere and it took me a year or so to get comfortable rooting for the Badgers (Morton's last). I too was on State Street in '93, and was in Pasadena a month later. I'm surprised you'd go to the U and not become a Gopher fan at all (whether you prefer them to the Badgers or not). I can't quite picture myself standing on the side of State Street in a Gopher sweatshirt while all my friends enjoy the party. I'd feel like I never fully embraced the UW experience had I not become a badger fan.

Today I'm a season ticket holder for Gopher Football (since 2004). I root for both teams and I still root for my alma mater head to head. I'm generally treated respectfully here because, for the most part I stay out of discussions on UW football, including the week before and week after they play in football.

I guess I'd say, if you are a Gopher fan too, why not stick to the Gophers on this site and go to Scout or Bucky to talk Badgers. If you're not a Gopher fan, then I guess I agree with the rest of these guys, why are you here?

You’re trying to convince Gopher fans that college and college football are not interdependent. Let me repeat I don’t care where you came from. I personally came from a place that was under the shadow of University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I spent a year at a liberal arts college which has 2/3 engineering program with UIUC. So, most of the students over there cheer for Fighting Illini. I vividly remember Bruce Weber’s final four moments, the cheer, the tears, the joy, the silent, the disappointment…everything you name it. Ever since I decided to enroll at the University of Minnesota, I’m a Gopher fan. I’ll always cheer for Gophers. I’m not going to cheer Illini at the expense of Gophers. This is where my allegiance lies. And I took it seriously. I still have good friends who went there and I even visited there last summer.
It is not a question about where it is honorable way to do or not. It THE correct way and only way to do. I can’t see any others. Emotional appeals are enticing but should not over rule the rationality. I do not believe in partial allegiance. I accept all the collaterals come with the benefits. No, you cannot pick and choose what you want and what you don’t want. You’re not supposed to do it as well.

Bigdsrip, are you a Gopher fan at all? I'm curious because my situation is the reverse of yours. I grew up a Gopher fan and I despised UW. I transferred there after two years elsewhere and it took me a year or so to get comfortable rooting for the Badgers (Morton's last). I too was on State Street in '93, and was in Pasadena a month later. I'm surprised you'd go to the U and not become a Gopher fan at all (whether you prefer them to the Badgers or not). I can't quite picture myself standing on the side of State Street in a Gopher sweatshirt while all my friends enjoy the party. I'd feel like I never fully embraced the UW experience had I not become a badger fan.

Today I'm a season ticket holder for Gopher Football (since 2004). I root for both teams and I still root for my alma mater head to head. I'm generally treated respectfully here because, for the most part I stay out of discussions on UW football, including the week before and week after they play in football.

I guess I'd say, if you are a Gopher fan too, why not stick to the Gophers on this site and go to Scout or Bucky to talk Badgers. If you're not a Gopher fan, then I guess I agree with the rest of these guys, why are you here?

;) Interesting. I tend to check illini loyalty very frequently. I try to not to register as well, because if I have an account I'll incline to comment and rile up their fan base. So, I decided to be a reader only.

Oh, of course I root for the Gophers. In every game but one. I just don't follow the inside stories nearly so close. I'm not going to feel bad about posting Wisconsin stuff in a thread about Wisconsin started by a Gopher fan. I had some info to share directly related to the topic and I did so. Is that not what message boards are for? Don't talk about Wisconsin on here and I won't post about UW. Do you really not want any opinions outside of Gopher propaganda on here? That seems like a stale board to me.

There was no chest thumping, I just wanted to share my opinion without being called all kinds of names for it. Treat me with respect and it will be returned to you, thats the only point I've been trying to make.

Its a dumb question with an obvious answer that you already know. If people come talking smack they are not well received. If they come to talk football they are treated with respect. Some people are jerks regardless. Are you really using the lowest common denominator as your guide on how to act? Shouldn't you try to do the right thing regardless of what other people do?

I did not say that UW was better then UMN during those 50 years. I said UW has been very good for the last 20 years and it has been 50+ years since UMN was at that level.

Neither team was anything worth bragging about during the ~25 years from the late 60's to the 90's but if you want to claim that as an era of Gopher superiority I don't have a counter to that.

The Gopher peak has so far been higher then the Badgers currant run, but this run is in no way over yet. We already have more Rose Bowl wins. Also it is obviously a much bigger deal to win a title today, what with the civil rights act opening up the south and the formalized NCAA title process. No more claiming National Titles when you lose your bowl game.

You're right, one or two bad decisions and we could be back to a middle of the pack team. The problem with that is that there has been absolutely nothing that suggests that is going to happen. The talent level is higher then its ever been, the athletic budget has been in the black for close to a decade and new facilities have been built/upgraded all over campus. Could it change? Sure, but I'm not going to worry about that until we start to see some kind of evidence of this downfall beyond Gopher/Hawkeye message board hopes and wild assumptions.

You should have made this your first post.
You want to talk football? Good.
All badger fans need to do is acknowledge 3 things IMO and I can talk real football with them. I have found sconnie fans older than 30 can do these 3 things, younger or irrationally stupid fans cannot.

1)It's a hot streak wisky is running on now, not a permanent elevation. Law of averages says eventually things will fluctuate. Barry Alverez is keeping HIS program afloat. He cannot be expected to be the AD forever. A bad coaching change destroyed Nebraska, Michigan, and a scandal took down OSU and PSU. Those programs are better situated to handle bad times than either of ours, hence our bad coaching hires have hurt us more, and your relative stability has helped keep your program winning.

2)Your current coach is a blowass. He's a dumb jock bully type not some god's gift to coaching football. He was handed a program built with a specific formula in place to help keep things very stable and winning 7-9 games every year. He's either JUST smart enough not to change that formula, or has been explicitly told by his boss not to change that formula. He currently wins, that is why you are cool with him, not because he's a great coach/ambassador for the program.

3)Your opinion on our situation is your opinion, but needs to be qualified with acknowledgment that wisky was once bad. Don Morton bad.

You hit a home run and have been circling the bases, the same thing happened to Iowa with Fry, to Purdue with Tiller, to MSU now with Dantonio. Our situation isn't hopeless and yours isn't impossible to come crashing down.

and i still don't know how you can be a badger fan and go to the U, but if your soul handle handle that, fine. Just don't be the dbag wearing badger red in the student section.

Does anyone else remember the doofus poster here from Wisky who was not only a U alum, but a former Gophers baseball player and was still a Becky fan? Goodness gracious, what an enormous d*uchenozzle.

Its a dumb question with an obvious answer that you already know. If people come talking smack they are not well received. If they come to talk football they are treated with respect. Some people are jerks regardless. Are you really using the lowest common denominator as your guide on how to act? Shouldn't you try to do the right thing regardless of what other people do?

B.S.!!! and you know it. First of all, I just asked a legit question. Second, speaking of acting properly regardless of others behavior, are you defending decent Gopher fans on Badger boards or in your hometown of Madison? Regarding your presence here, are you taking the high road? Are you talking football or defending the "right" to be a Badger fan and a U of Mn alumnus, and pointing out how stupid and cruel you think we are for questioning your loyalty to Gopher athletics or even why you'd choose the U of M in the first place?

You can choose to discuss football at any time. Just post a new thread with a football related question or topic.
Thanks in advance.

Does anyone else remember the doofus poster here from Wisky who was not only a U alum, but a former Gophers baseball player and was still a Becky fan? Goodness gracious, what an enormous d*uchenozzle.

hahaha Calm down dpodoll. It's ok. These pathetic souls can't comprehend the negative impacts from their action or believe. I daresay the future employers or colleges will have issue with their morality. If I were them, I would not mention it at all. I used to worked with people from UF, UGA, and USC, and they absolutely despise this type of behavior. It seems like an unimportant issue, but it truly is.

Ole I totally agree with points 1 and 2 but I think your selling BB a little short. His first two three years he was a total ass. I think all Badger fans can agree with that and were a little embarrassed with the things he would say. But he has grown a lot since then and has really become a class act. Remember he was 36 when he got the job with a lot of maturing left to do. The 2 point conversion was a departure from his new ways, and I can see why Gopher fans still hate him. BB should have owned up to that and not made that BS excuse, but that was clearly a personal thing between him and Brewster. Brewster took a lot of personal shots at BB privately and publicly and that was a fitting send off for that jerk. He could have been the coach anywhere, I don't think BB has any hate or disrespect to the U as a program, he just hated Brewster.

We'll see on the record. BB already has more ten win seasons then UMN does. I think at 60-19 that is way more than keeping Barry's program rolling. He has added to it significantly.

Ole I totally agree with points 1 and 2 but I think your selling BB a little short. His first two three years he was a total ass. I think all Badger fans can agree with that and were a little embarrassed with the things he would say. But he has grown a lot since then and has really become a class act.

Has really become a class act. You're not joking right? Your impartial observation as a Badger fan?

Remember he was 36 when he got the job with a lot of maturing left to do.

I got my first job when I finished my high school at 16, but I wasn't doing stupid things. So, stop that B.S. excuse. If you're old enough to lead a program, you ought to know how to behave as well. Pat Fitzgerald didn't behave the way BB did.

The 2 point conversion was a departure from his new ways, and I can see why Gopher fans still hate him. BB should have owned up to that and not made that BS excuse, but that was clearly a personal thing between him and Brewster. Brewster took a lot of personal shots at BB privately and publicly and that was a fitting send off for that jerk. He could have been the coach anywhere, I don't think BB has any hate or disrespect to the U as a program, he just hated Brewster.

Why don't you send a letter to BB to tell him what you said? I don't like Brewster and he could be a jerk. But it will be more accurate to describe him as a fool hired by a tool. On the one hand you're accusatory of Brewster's potty mouth. On the other you're trying to portray BB as a saint. What an objective observation! How can you tell what BB has in his mind? Did he come to you personally as his psychotherapist? I don't care what he has in his mind as I cannot tell or see. So, I'll judge him by his behavior, actions and history. It is sheer lunacy to pretend that you know what other people are thinking in their mind. Police departments around the country should hire you as a mind-reader to utilize your extremely rare skills.

We'll see on the record. BB already has more ten win seasons then UMN does. I think at 60-19 that is way more than keeping Barry's program rolling. He has added to it significantly.

Why are you here again? You probably are not capable of understanding the ramifications from your behavior. 90% of your posts are full of Badger propaganda. What a shameless Trojan Horse! Came to the University of Minnesota, and act like someone from the UW. Shamelessly devour the benefits that you can get from your Alma mater, and spit on her face whenever you can. You're indeed a class act like your hero, BB.

I didn't know it was possible to find a bigger tool than Bielema but I believe we have found one - bigdsrip! Like father like son.

Required reading for any badgerass that wonders why we simply don't bow down to their juggernaut program's superiority:
http://fringebowlteamblog.com/?q=blog/we-have-not-forgotten-why-we-hate

Awesome article. Why can't folks appreciate the superior days of college football before jet travel and penicillin? Not everything gets better with age, you know. Today's game is too commercialized, what with the TV exposure and higher quality of play. Also, I find large stadiums quite garish, don't you?

The latest is BB cry whining about The new OSU coach stealing his recruits while He signs graduate free agents and just stole a 2013 Gopher recruit. With 7 new coaches this year should be a gaffe machine to watch unfold.

I think you may be exagerating things a bit Archie. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Frank Merriwell but you can call me Eli. I suppose you are under the impression you also believe Princeton won a national championship in 1871 also. I would expect such a boastful claim from a bunch of louts from ol Princeton. While Princeton did win several national championships on their own merit, I believe you also need to give due credit to the schools that many of those championships were split with. I'll expect nothing less than an aknowledgement that many of your championships were not won outright and in fact many of them were split with teams such as Yale who had better records than the Princeton team on more than one occasion. I also think you owe the good gopher fans of this board an apology for your boastful ways. At the very least you should act like you arent' the red headed stepchild of the Ivy League and fess up to your schools marginal record when it comes to football records.

I think you may be exagerating [sic] things a bit Archie. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Frank Merriwell but you can call me Eli.

How about I just call you Burt? It's not my usual practice to converse with a fictional character, but I will oblige you this once.

I suppose you are under the impression you also believe Princeton won a national championship in 1871 also. I would expect such a boastful claim from a bunch of louts from ol Princeton.

I am not "under the impression that also believe" that Princeton won a national championship in 1871, as you so eloquently "suppose." Princeton did not field a team in 1871, as I am sure you are aware. Nor did I "boast" as much. We did however, as I'm also sure you're aware, win national championships in both the prior and subsequent years.

While Princeton did win several national championships on their own merit, I believe you also need to give due credit to the schools that many of those championships were split with. I'll expect nothing less than an aknowledgement [sic] that many of your championships were not won outright and in fact many of them were split with teams such as Yale who had better records than the Princeton team on more than one occasion. I also think you owe the good gopher fans of this board an apology for your boastful ways.

My dear figment, I doubt you'll find that your ludicrous suggestion that the team with the best record must automatically be considered the champion will find much purchase here among the fine fans of the 1960 Gophers team.

At the very least you should act like you arent' [sic] the red headed stepchild of the Ivy League and fess up to your schools marginal record when it comes to football records.

Egads, if the atrocious spelling and grammar weren't enough, this alone proves that you are a phony. Princeton is the "Red-headed stepchild"? Have you not heard of Cornell?

Pip, pip,
Archie

Top Bottom