Badger defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct! What is funny is any of you thinking that's the defense you can expect all season. It will be fun to revisit this. Thing is, if that is the defense all season, teams will still have to stop the offense!

Ooohhhh....scary. The 19 points against TCU was awe-inspiring.

Here to talk Badger football Formo. If you guys don't want to talk UW football, you don't have to! That's what's fun in all of this. You have the free choice to not talk Badger football.

Then talk Becky football. No need to be a dooouche and flex your "my pen0r is bigger than your pen0r" ego.

Sorry

Dpoll, you love the word "starter". It means a lot to you to be a starter. We discussed this with Bill Nagy who "started" 6 games as a TE. What that means is, the Badgers formation to start the game included a jumbo TE. Nowhere in any depth chart was Nagy listed as a TE. In fact, when the television lists starters, he only appeared twice when he started those games on the interior offensive line. So he "starts" and that means something to you, even though he played no more than a dozen plays per game at TE and most games only a handful.

This season, James White is returning as a 1000 yard rusher, but isn't a starter. Because there is depth of talent in Madison that doesn't exist in Minneapolis.

You are fixated on "starter" because your team is not very successful at winning football games (a factual statement - the part about not winning football games). Your program has struggled to field talent, so the starter means more to you.

In big boy football, we play a lot of players because we have a lot of guys who deserve to play. This is common at Ohio State also. They replace 7 starters on defense - but the depth they played all season has them more than confident at replacing those players.. Wisconsin played 10 defensive linemen last season in a rotation. They played 3 corners in a rotation.

So to give you a factual statement, Wisconsin returns 9 starters. They have 9 players on their starting defense that have started. Meanwhile, two reserve defensive linemen have started. Wisconsin returns 11 starters. This is why teams that win in football, are confident with their new starters. It's big boy football.

I'll give you one last factual statement. Wisconsin's football program owns Minnesota's football program winning 14 of the last 16.

Dear Friend, I got another factual statement for you. Things go in cycles.
Wisconsin's dominance over Minnesota is done. You had a nice run big boy! Your time is over!

WE AGREE! Wisconsin replaced productive players with other productive players because Wisconsin is a good team that plays a lot of guys. I agree that we lost more guys than Watt. The production won't drop off.

If anything, Sorenson leading the team in tackles only solidifies what I mean. He was 44th in the Big Ten in tackles because 6 guys played LB for Wisconsin! So you can trumpet that Wisconsin loses their top tackler. I'll remember that he was scheduled to be their nickel LB until injuries gave him his opportunity. Good player? Sure. Irreplaceable? Nope.

The better way to measure is how many guys in the regular rotation are coming back. Wisconsin has a lot of players who have started, succeeded, and are returning for more. That's what's fun about the depth of this football program.

So you've completely backtracked from your original statement, which was: "The defense returns essentially the entire team minus JJ Watt." That's good. Your other excuse, that UNLV was showing something completely new scheme-wise was also ridiculous.

The fact is that the defense performed poorly last night against one of the worst offenses in college football last year. Whether it was simply early season rust or not, I think it still opens up lots of questions about the Badger D. I think the defense will probably improve over the course of the season, but I also think they are going to have to rely on the offense to score 35+ per game in order to beat the top teams in the conference.

Here to talk Badger football Formo. If you guys don't want to talk UW football, you don't have to! .

Couldn't have said it better myself; that is why we are on a Gopher Football Message Board and not a Vadger one. Honestly, how big of an imbecile do you have to be to actually write something this utterly stupid. Don't you have some pedophilia to dabble in; perhaps a deer carcus to fornicate with? And entire keg of beer to consume for happy hour? Maybe get a job?

I'll give you one last factual statement. Wisconsin's football program owns Minnesota's football program winning 14 of the last 16.

So would you say your entire self worth is tied to the success of the badgers football team or just the majority of it?

I'm gonna like the Gophers whether their good or bad and I'm gonna dislike the badgers whether they're good or bad. So the badgers have beat the Gophers the majority of their recent meetings, is that supposed to change my feeling toward the Gophers or are you trying to prove your not completely worthless.

Go back to where you came from.

Dear Friend, I got another factual statement for you. Things go in cycles.
Wisconsin's dominance over Minnesota is done. You had a nice run big boy! Your time is over!

Hey, it's 2007 all over again! Talk is cheap. Results between the lines matter.

Couldn't have said it better myself; that is why we are on a Gopher Football Message Board and not a Vadger one. Honestly, how big of an imbecile do you have to be to actually write something this utterly stupid. Don't you have some pedophilia to dabble in; perhaps a deer carcus to fornicate with? And entire keg of beer to consume for happy hour? Maybe get a job?

Title of the thread is "Badger Defense" - if that isn't talking Badger football, what is?

BAN HAMMER PLEASE STRIKE THIS TROLL DOWN!

custom_1256950366573_banhammer15gq9.jpg

So you've completely backtracked from your original statement, which was: "The defense returns essentially the entire team minus JJ Watt." That's good. Your other excuse, that UNLV was showing something completely new scheme-wise was also ridiculous.

The fact is that the defense performed poorly last night against one of the worst offenses in college football last year. Whether it was simply early season rust or not, I think it still opens up lots of questions about the Badger D. I think the defense will probably improve over the course of the season, but I also think they are going to have to rely on the offense to score 35+ per game in order to beat the top teams in the conference.

I apologize for confusing some of you. I shouldn't have said the whole defense is back, as that confused you all. What I should have said was, we lost JJ Watt, and nothing else we will miss. That observation is not from some HS recruiting ranking, or whispers of guys looking good in practice. That statement is 100% based on the fact that every UW player that was in the rotation last night - i.e. starters and key reserves - is a player I've seen perform before and have success.

I agree, the defense didn't look good last night. Not once did I see a blitz, twist, etc. I'll bet the house that it had a lot more to do with rust than anything.

As for needing to score a lot to win in the Big Ten....what's new? Glad to have the UW offense to handle that task. They are more than up to it.

I apologize for confusing some of you. I shouldn't have said the whole defense is back, as that confused you all. What I should have said was, we lost JJ Watt, and nothing else we will miss.

Trust us, no one was confused. You got caught making a false statement. Happens to the best of us, so it will certainly happen to a Becky troll. Backtracking and not admitting you were wrong only makes things worse.

Why are you still here?

**cue predictable "I'm talking Badger football" response**

If everyone puts any badger fans on their ignore lists, it solves a lot of issues....

Not sure I follow you here? This is the second year for Coach Hauck and his staff at UNLV. Are you implying that Hauck "pulled a Brewster" (switching offenses multiple times), came in last year, installed the Pistol offense, and then came into last night's game with a completely different offense than last year?

I didn't watch the game last night but I'd be surprised if UNLV wasn't running the same offense that Hauck has been using since his days in Montana...

Sorry.....just noticed this post Ogee. UW prepared for an offense they didn't see. It is explained here:

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/201...ook-defense-unprepared-for-rebels-offense-and

BOV,
I like talking football; Gophers most of all, but I'll talk Badgers, Wolverines, or whomever. I could do without your snarky tone and wish you could admit when you overstate your argument, but that's a different matter.

The coaches may be at fault for all the players out of position last night, but I can't see how scheme caused the D line to get pushed around by UNLV all night. Scheme didn't cause all those missed tackles either. It's possible that losing 4-5 productive senior leaders had an impact too. Players like Borland needed to step up and they didn't. The Badgers are a very good team this year, but I think you have your head in the sand if you do not have some questions about the D.

OK, now back to Gopher football, and onto USC

I was definitely not happy with the defense. But I also realize that they had to read a lot more than they will the rest of the season. The spread/pistol is a tough offense to play, especially when you don't prepare for it. So when I look at Butrym, Hemer, Kohout and Allen - all big DTs that played very well last season - getting pushed around, I figure they are going to look different when they face a team that they know the scheme. DTs getting blown off the ball is a symptom of pad level. They had high pad level because they were looking into the backfield a lot more than they will do later in the season when they are reading teams that have shown their offense on film.

I will join you in having concern if it comes against good opponents. Colleges get 20 hours a week of instruction. I'm not shocked by sloppy play early in the season....I actually expect it. We see it every year.....App State over Michigan, OSU struggling with Navy and on and on. No one should be shocked when teams don't play as well as expected in week one. That's why I wanted to talk Badger defense here. Our friend Rupie is predicting success over the UW defense based on a defense that was unprepared and sloppy. I think it's pretty premature to think that will be the case in week 9 (or whenever we come to Camp Randall North).

Borland is coming back from injury and playing a new position with a new coordinator with no Spring ball, and even a late start in summer camp. I will be concerned if his play doesn't pick up in the coming weeks. I didn't have high expectations for him immediately. I give him the benefit of the doubt, just like I do to the coaching staff.

Again, unless I'm missing something, you're telling me (and the UW coaching staff) that UW did not prepare for the offense that UNLV ran ALL SEASON last year?

How is that possible considering the accuracy of the article:

"Rebels head coach Bobby Hauck is supposedly bringing back a pro-style offense similar to what he ran at Wyoming..." Um...Montana Grizzlies anyone?

"Thursday night marked Chris Borland's first game in nearly a year. Unfortunately, it showed.

Recovering from surgeries to both shoulders, the sophomore running back didn't make any glaring mistakes..." Is he playing both ways now? Could have sworn he was a LB.

I stopped reading at this point.

Again, unless I'm missing something, you're telling me (and the UW coaching staff) that UW did not prepare for the offense that UNLV ran ALL SEASON last year?

I have no idea what offense UNLV's coach ran at Montana. I have no memory of them being in the Pistol last season in our matchup with them. What is clear is that the UW team - with lots of quality defenders in Mike Taylor, Chris Borland, Patrick Butrym, Louis Nzegwu, Ethan Hemer, Jordan Kohout, Beau Allen and Kevin Claxton - looked lost yesterday. Those same players have played a lot of football, and at a high level. So when 5th year senior All-Big Ten Safety Aaron Henry says they didn't prepare for a single formation they saw (specifically, UNLV going unbalanced), a lot makes sense when you watch good football players look lost.

For whatever reason, the UW coaching staff was expecting something different. That happens quite often in first games. Teams change. But back to the original point of Rupies post - thinking Minnesota is going to move the ball on Wisconsin simply because last night, is foolish. It will have nothing to do with it either way.

Who in the ____cares about the stinking BADgers and there pygmy qb?????/ Didn't watch a minute of their game game against highly rated UNLV. Who do the BADgers play next week? Radcliff?

For whatever reason, the UW coaching staff was expecting something different. That happens quite often in first games. Teams change. But back to the original point of Rupies post - thinking Minnesota is going to move the ball on Wisconsin simply because last night, is foolish. It will have nothing to do with it either way.

That actually DOES tell us something.. That if Minnesota uses an offense that Wisky didn't prepare for, we can put up points on your defense. Now if that happens, that's a whole different can of worms.

That actually DOES tell us something.. That if Minnesota uses an offense that Wisky didn't prepare for, we can put up points on your defense. Now if that happens, that's a whole different can of worms.

If only Jerry Kill was that dumb!

Huge difference between having all of camp to master an offense and making it your identity, and then using it game one, and trying to spring it on a team in week 9. That would be funny stuff. It would mean you don't have faith in who you are, and what you are doing. Jerry Kill is far from that stupid. Brewster, maybe. Not Jerry Kill though. Anyone worth a damn believes in who they are, and lines up and plays. The fact that UNLV tricked Wisconsin in week 1 is not uncommon for college football. That's why you see teams pretty much universally improve from week 1 to week 2. Their next opponent is on film.

I have no idea what offense UNLV's coach ran at Montana. I have no memory of them being in the Pistol last season in our matchup with them. What is clear is that the UW team - with lots of quality defenders in Mike Taylor, Chris Borland, Patrick Butrym, Louis Nzegwu, Ethan Hemer, Jordan Kohout, Beau Allen and Kevin Claxton - looked lost yesterday. Those same players have played a lot of football, and at a high level. So when 5th year senior All-Big Ten Safety Aaron Henry says they didn't prepare for a single formation they saw (specifically, UNLV going unbalanced), a lot makes sense when you watch good football players look lost.

We will move the ball against Wisconsin as will other teams. Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining Badger_inohiovalley. UNLV ran the same offense last year and Hauch ran the SAME offense at Montana. You lost your DC Dave Doeren who many football guru's thought was your best coach. With him now being HC at Northern ILL I wouldn't be surprised if the scoreboard at Soldier's Field doesn't look like two basketball scores. NIU will light your Badgers up

Who in the ____cares about the stinking BADgers and there pygmy qb?????/ Didn't watch a minute of their game game against highly rated UNLV. Who do the BADgers play next week? Radcliff?

You cared enough to open a Badger defense thread. Many others have cared enough to have the discussion approaching a fourth page.

Wisconsin plays Oregon State, who is better than the Dakota teams that have been made quite comfortable in the Twin Cities of late.

We will move the ball against Wisconsin as will other teams. Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining Badger_inohiovalley. UNLV ran the same offense last year and Hauch ran the SAME offense at Montana. You lost your DC Dave Doeren who many football guru's thought was your best coach. With him now being HC at Northern ILL I wouldn't be surprised if the scoreboard at Soldier's Field doesn't look like two basketball scores. NIU will light your Badgers up

Ruppert, your hate of Wisconsin is entertaining to watch.

You might move the ball, but as I said, it will have nothing to do with how things went vs. UNLV, which was your original take.

Wisconsin plays Oregon State, who is better than the Dakota teams that have been made quite comfortable in the Twin Cities of late.

You sure about that Becky? Because in the third quarter Oregon State is busy getting a$$ pounded by.....wait for it.....SACRAMENTO FREAKING STATE. Yeah, when that is the nonconference quality opponent you trumpet, congratulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom