BADger bb

I think this line of logic is a little easier to understand:

Wisconsin sucks.

There is a reason, but it has nothing to do with kenpom numbers or coaches deciding when to have their players rebound. It does, however, involve a little bit of knowledge related to actually playing basketball and the skill sets related to it. Generally, defensive rebounding is about positioning and technique. Things that can be taught and that do rely on schemes. For example, playing m2m instead of zone or not "breaking out" looking for quick transition points off of misses.

OTOH, offensive rebounding relates more to athletic ability, quickness, instinct, strength, etc. Intangibles, for lack of a better word. There have been hundreds of great d rebounders who are worthless on the O glass. Big plodding players can D rebound if they get good position and know how to block out, but often they are not good O rebounders.

My theory is that Bo has lacked those kinds of players over his tenure. I would agree that he rarely crashes the boards with his backcourt, but to say a 6'-10" power forward is instructed to eschew the offensive glass is beyond stupid. Make that argument for Bohannon, not Leuer.

A player that can rebound is a player that can rebound. Whether it is on the offensive end or the defensive end, it's going to come down to positioning, instincts and desire. Athletic ability is certainly a factor, but look at Kevin Love. He's certainly far less athletic than most of the players at his position in the NBA. But because he understands positioning and has the requisite desire he's a fantastic offensive rebounder.

Watch the Badgers play Michigan State this weekend and see if there is a philosophical difference when it comes to crashing the offensive glass.

A player that can rebound is a player that can rebound. Whether it is on the offensive end or the defensive end, it's going to come down to positioning, instincts and desire. Athletic ability is certainly a factor, but look at Kevin Love. He's certainly far less athletic than most of the players at his position in the NBA. But because he understands positioning and has the requisite desire he's a fantastic offensive rebounder.

Watch the Badgers play Michigan State this weekend and see if there is a philosophical difference when it comes to crashing the offensive glass.

The example you use is a guy who was a consensus first team AA as a freshman and then a lottery pick in the NBA. You know who else could do both? Moses Malone. Give me a break.

Your "rebounding is rebounding" argument is absolutely wrong. Offensive and defensive rebounding are two entirely different animals. Some guys are good at both, but generally those aren't the big, slow, lumbering types (1st team consensus all-americans are often the exception).

It's pretty clear to me that you've spent more time in the band than on the court.

I like Leuer as a player but Carter is the better player and the gap will increase as time passes. Leuer is the better shooter but Carter does everything else better. They're both Sophs but this is Carter's first year in the league and he's starting to straighten out the learning curve.

Just to let everyone know: I do NOT hate any Badger teams, I just simply loath them.

Top Bottom