Bad penalties

Rosemountian

Reaction score
Have we gone a full game in the last 1.5 seasons without at least 1 of the following 3 penalties?
I am literally asking, so answer if you know. The streak may predate kill.

Illegal formation
Illegal motion/shift
Illegal substitution

We had 1 illegal formation against Wisconsin

And the illegal formation against Sconnie was a killer. You could see it right away, I was literally screaming at the TV.

This is something that I had hoped Kill would improve on. It was bad under Brew an is still bad. It was Gray on Saturday who was positioned wrong, which is unacceptable for a QB. Nelson should have noticed as well.

This is something that I had hoped Kill would improve on. It was bad under Brew an is still bad. It was Gray on Saturday who was positioned wrong, which is unacceptable for a QB. Nelson should have noticed as well.

The player on the outside has to know he needs to move forward to cover the lineman. The QB is busy making his reads to be able to position every guy n the field. That penalty is all on Gray.

I actually think it was the middle receiver that should have been on the line. We were in that same formation later on, I was wondering who was at fault.

These kind of penalties are killer. They are like too many men on the ice in hockey, there is just no excuse for them if your head is in the game.

I'm not Jon Gruden but for the most part, I have to go with the fact that there has been a revolving door on the Offensive Line as one of the main reasons for the missteps by those guys. There again, those are things I would expect less of from 4th and 5th year guys than I would from FR and SO who are stilling learning the playbook, and thinking too much.

Have we gone a full game in the last 1.5 seasons without at least 1 of the following 3 penalties?
Illegal formation
Illegal motion/shift
Illegal substitution

The streak for sure predates Kill. The Judd Fisch-led offense would traditionally get all of these penalties multiple times per game (or so it seemed).

Definitely something that needs to be cleaned up.

In the Iowa game, we only had four penalties, none of which were any of the ones you listed.

Illegal formation
Illegal motion/shift
Illegal substitution

What is interesting, if anyone watched Wisconsin vs. Nebraska is that Wisconsin was shifting a lot on the road at Nebraska with a freshman quarterback under a brand new OC and they weren't getting these types of penalties.

It must be experience and having Jr's and Sr's instead of young guys that makes the difference. I don't know how else you explain it.

In the Iowa game, we only had four penalties, none of which were any of the ones you listed.

There was a false start penalty in the fourth quarter in that game...to me that is illegal motion, which is that type of penalty.

Top Bottom