bad news coming for hoops

I'm not sure I've read too much about TT needing to play because he is good. I think it was more if he has a scholarship and he's going to be here....then play him so he can develop and GET better.
On a last place team if he was going to see his sophomore season as a Gopher, then he needed more minutes at the end of last year. I also believe it appears the coaches are trying to make him a banger, to play tougher by withholding minutes and that is not who he is and it is not a formula that often works. His strength is shooting 3's....we have zone defense talent (TT is one of those) vs possessing bangers and junk yard dogs hounding people man to man defensively. We play hard but did we utilize the talent the best way on defense?
Coaches don't just give minutes away for the sake of 'development.' Thompson either did not fulfill his end of the bargain for playing time or simply did not match with the style of play.

The Gophers were competitive in most games last year. In year one, Johnson is trying to win and establish a culture while doing so. Johnson can't just throw Treyton out there for 'development' if it affects the 'development' of Battle for instance.

Johnson has a method to his decision making. If he doesn't, he will not be a coach for long. We will not know the expectations Johnson has for Thompson until someone in the media asks one of the coaches or Thompson himself the specific question about what Thompson must do to get on the court.

Coaches don't just give minutes away for the sake of 'development.' Thompson either did not fulfill his end of the bargain for playing time or simply did not match with the style of play.

The Gophers were competitive in most games last year. In year one, Johnson is trying to win and establish a culture while doing so. Johnson can't just throw Treyton out there for 'development' if it affects the 'development' of Battle for instance.

Johnson has a method to his decision making. If he doesn't, he will not be a coach for long. We will not know the expectations Johnson has for Thompson until someone in the media asks one of the coaches or Thompson himself the specific question about what Thompson must do to get on the court.
Very few coaches at any level are going to tell reporters anything resembling the truth. Great kid, works hard. He's coming on. We'll see what happens in practice this next week. Blah, blah
Now, if a reporter or a parent asks and all of a sudden that person is suddenly playing....you know that coach will not be successful if their decisions are influenced by outsiders.

I told you why Thompson didn't play and I disagree with the logic. You think it's a great strategy to put a square peg a round hole in the name of trying to make someone into somebody they aren't. Maybe it works. I'd rather recruit somebody who wanted to play like that and had those traits and abilities.

Agreed, Treyton just wasn't physically ready yet last year, but if he has put on another 15-20 pounds though I think he can give some back up minutes at the five, could be a nice change of pace stretch five when Payne comes out. For guys like Henley, JOJ and Betts, the key is can they give a rotation in the first half and do enough to give Battle and Garcia breathers enough rest to not wear down in the closing moments. IF Betts can take Garcia's back up minutes, that will put him in a good spot to earn starting minutes the following year

Honest question: is Payne already that good, that he's ahead of Thompson?

I've skipped ahead here so maybe missed this.

Will it be easy for Fox and Ihnen to get another redshirt for this coming year? So they will each have 2 seasons for Fox and 3 for Ihnen still left?

Not sure what the NCAA's usual stance was on handing out multiple medical hardship waivers at all, let alone two years in a row.

Times possibly have changed now anyway.

You generally think at some point that the player either gives up or they stop getting hurt.

Honest question: is Payne already that good, that he's ahead of Thompson?
Don't know that anyone here can answer a question like that but Payne has the size to compete down low in the Big Ten whereas Thompson did not last year. How quickly Payne can adjust to the college game remains to be seen but physically he light years ahead of where a guy like Thompson was as a freshman.

maybe I'm crazy, but I still see TT getting his minutes as a PF or even a SF.

just because you're tall, that does not mean that you are required to play in the paint. it's not a state law. (unless that changed when the legislature approved edibles......)

I see TT as a guy who will rotate in, hit a couple of 3's, and hopefully grab a rebound or two.

he is not - ever - going to be some physical presence in the lane.

But he can be a contributor in a rotation.

just because you're tall, that does not mean that you are required to play in the paint. it's not a state law. (unless that changed when the legislature approved edibles......)

I see TT as a guy who will rotate in, hit a couple of 3's, and hopefully grab a rebound or two.

If the stretch 4 becomes a part of Ben’s rotation it is certainly within the realm of possibility once we get an established post presence. That being said, TT just doesn’t have the lateral quickness to guard the 3. It just isn’t going to happen.

If the stretch 4 becomes a part of Ben’s rotation it is certainly within the realm of possibility once we get an established post presence. That being said, TT just doesn’t have the lateral quickness to guard the 3. It just isn’t going to happen.

Battle was essentially a stretch 4 last season. Garcia will be a stretch 4 this season. It's definitely a part of Ben's rotation.

Hope so. That would be huge.

Top Bottom