bad news coming for hoops

Guessing he subscribes to GI and that is why he knows early. I have heard that they threaten to cancel your subscription if you leak the info on GH.

It's such a scam, that Ben, Fleck, the school purposefully withhold reporting info publicly just so that GI insiders can say they got something for their money.
You don't honestly believe that the coaches and school are withholding info just so that some subscribers to a site run by 247 can say they got early information right?

I guarantee that Fleck/Johnson.....could give a crap about the subscribers at Gopher Illustrated. Just like they could give a crap about the posters on Gopherhole.

How about whoever trying to clickbait hide news like this can fuck off?

Sucks for ihnen. Was excited for him.

Side note - how funny is it that the strib breaks the news and puts the details behind a paywall.

I am curious if there's ever been another instance in CBB where the same two players tear ACLs in consecutive years. What are the odds of that?

It has to be crushing from an emotional standpoint to go through this type of injury two years in a row. Hopefully both Ihnen and Fox can make full recoveries. Seems strange that the same knee again. Looks like the freshman will all have a chance at some meaningful minutes.

The program needs to evaluate its off season program and dig into why these injuries keep occurring. It seems that we have had way more than our fair share of injuries to important players compared to the rest of the big ten. Something needs to change ASAP.
I am sure they are evaluating everything to make sure this isn't being caused by something they are doing wrong.

Appears Fox and Ihnen are now on the Eric Curry plan. Program is definitely snakebit right now with injuries. Hopefully there is no drama with the Garcia situation and he is granted eligibility since the front court depth has once again taken a massive hit in the off season. Thankfully we won't be in the same dire situation we were last year though with Garcia in the mix.

It has to be crushing from an emotional standpoint to go through this type of injury two years in a row. Hopefully both Ihnen and Fox can make full recoveries. Seems strange that the same knee again. Looks like the freshman will all have a chance at some meaningful minutes.
Definitely puts more pressure on Payne to come in and be a factor early. He has the size to do it but it is a big jump from high school to college.

Ben will have no choice but to free Treyton Thompson now.
My quick take is no. Ben will just have the others log more minutes. Man, if I am this bummed out, can’t imagine what Fox and Ihnen feel like.

My quick take is no. Ben will just have the others log more minutes. Man, if I am this bummed out, can’t imagine what Fox and Ihnen feel like.
They're already down to 10 healthy scholarship players. They'll be lucky if they have 9 by the time B1G play starts. And that includes Betts.

Fox and Ihnen were going to be big pieces this year, that stings badly. I think its more of a psychological blow. You have II the only guy to stick with Ben and Fox who despite never actually playing a game to me seemed like the rallying point of the team. One day we won't just only have bad luck......right??

Side note - how funny is it that the strib breaks the news and puts the details behind a paywall.

Well, their content is all behind a paywall, right? Why would this story be any different?

well, let me take a different tack on this.

We don't KNOW what Ihnen was going to do this year.

there was a lot of hope and speculation about what he might be able to do, but that was not based on any real on-court evidence.

So, it's not like the Gophers lost a returning starter or a proven double-figure scorer.

They lost a guy who "we think" might have been able to start and "we think" had a chance to be pretty good.

It's disappointing. But it doesn't have to be the end of the world.

what it can be is an opportunity for someone else to play additional minutes and show what they can do.

Hey - maybe TT will get the chance that a lot of people have been clamoring for. Who knows - if TT gets that additional playing time, he might just demonstrate that he is as good as some people seem to think.

Ben will have no choice but to free Treyton Thompson now.
I mean, hopefully Thompson has been putting in the work, adding some mass, and is ready to take on a bigger role this season.

This news sucks but we aren't in the same dire situation we were in last year when our only healthy options were Curry, Daniels, and Thompson. Payne will be the x-factor. If he can translate his Big Ten ready size into productive minutes down low it will be a massive boost to the team.

The program needs to evaluate its off season program and dig into why these injuries keep occurring. It seems that we have had way more than our fair share of injuries to important players compared to the rest of the big ten. Something needs to change ASAP.
This 100%

Either that or evaluate how the players are being cleared?

there was a lot of hope and speculation about what he might be able to do, but that was not based on any real on-court evidence.

So, it's not like the Gophers lost a returning starter or a proven double-figure scorer.

They lost a guy who "we think" might have been able to start and "we think" had a chance to be pretty good.

what it can be is an opportunity for someone else to play additional minutes and show what they can do.

Hey - maybe TT will get the chance that a lot of people have been clamoring for. Who knows - if TT gets that additional playing time, he might just demonstrate that he is as good as some people seem to think.
These injuries put a damper on the hopes of a big jump in year two because once again we are seeing two guys who were expected to be key pieces of the rotation go down before the season even begins.

Even with these injuries this should still be an improved team over the one we had last year but injuries to key players shrinks your margin for error and makes it more difficult to succeed.

The reality is that we will be forced to rely more heavily on freshman now. How that will all work out remains to be seen but it is always a massive crap shoot when you have to put your faith in true freshman. Sometimes they succeed, often they just aren't ready in year 1. Hopefully our incoming class is ready to hit the ground running.

good lord.
1. if it’s the same surgeon doing these ACLs, then the team needs another surgeon and fast.
2. if it’s the same trainer under whom all these injuries are occurring, then it is time to fire him/her/them and find a new staff.
3. we know it’s not the coaching staff. been through several of these with similar problems.
4. we know it’s not the weather because these injuries have been occurring different times of the year. See 1 and 2 above.

Minnesota sports. Best to Never have optimism. No wonder we’re a grumpy fanbase.

There are some interesting studies out there about injuries in college athletics. Here are a few stats that popped up after a quick search:
  • There are 7.5 injuries per 1,000 athletic exposures (each player in a game or a practice) in preseason men's college basketball. This rate is higher for preseason than it is during the season... likely due to deconditioning during offseason.
  • Twice as many injuries occur during game-like conditions versus drills.
  • Knee injuries account for nearly 18.3% of all injuries in college basketball.
Here is a detailed study of men's college basketball injuries.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1941286/

Here is a hopeful study about players returning to high performance following ACL injuries.
https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/11/acl-tears-basketball.html

I'm not sure I've read too much about TT needing to play because he is good. I think it was more if he has a scholarship and he's going to be here....then play him so he can develop and GET better.
On a last place team if he was going to see his sophomore season as a Gopher, then he needed more minutes at the end of last year. I also believe it appears the coaches are trying to make him a banger, to play tougher by withholding minutes and that is not who he is and it is not a formula that often works. His strength is shooting 3's....we have zone defense talent (TT is one of those) vs possessing bangers and junk yard dogs hounding people man to man defensively. We play hard but did we utilize the talent the best way on defense?

Top Bottom