Bad atmosphere

Gopher04

Reaction score
The atmosphere at the bank has been very disappointing. I saw so much Husker red yesterday it was disgusting. We have a winning team and people sell their tickets. What's worse is that the gopher fans that are there (excluding student section) are lousy at best. I sit on the home side and I'm the only one standing up on third downs and such. These are big ten games and people sit on the 90 year old hands. The Ski-U-Mah chant could be something special but you can hardly hear the away side. The students are the only ones who are enthusiastic. You wonder why our team isn't fired up. We having winning team and it's time that we change the culture here to a winning culture. We have a school with so much tradition and we waste it. I'd just like to see the bank rock one night where everyone is in their feet hooting and hollering cause up to now, I've been very disappointed.

The atmosphere at the bank has been very disappointing. I saw so much Husker red yesterday it was disgusting. We have a winning team and people sell their tickets. What's worse is that the gopher fans that are there (excluding student section) are lousy at best.

Why are they lousy? Because they're not hooting and hollering like the game is a life and death matter? The Twin Cities is a very cosmopolitan place with lots of amenities. Nebraska is much more culturally homogenous (maybe that's what you're actually wishing for). Most Nebraska residents have little or nothing more interesting in their environments than college football. If you really want to live in a place more like Nebraska, then moving to Nebraska is a much simpler solution than wishing the culture here would change.

Home attendance is up this year over last year. The crowd might have been a little subdued because the gophers were behind yesterday for nearly the whole game. And it looked like they were not going to turn things around no matter how loud the crowd could have been. Fans are people and they have feelings too. Silly to think we would hoot and holler for no reason. Can't blame the crowds for the poor play. Sorry.

DATE OPPONENT SCORE OVERALL CONF. TIME ATT
09/03/15 TCU L, 17-23 0-1-0 0-0-0 3:37 54147
09/12/15 at Colorado State W, 23-20 1-1-0 0-0-0 3:59 32500
09/19/15 Kent State W, 10-7 2-1-0 0-0-0 3:02 52823
09/26/15 Ohio W, 27-24 3-1-0 0-0-0 3:11 53917
10/03/15 at Northwestern L, 0-27 3-2-0 0-1-0 2:52 30044
10/10/15 at Purdue W, 41-13 4-2-0 1-1-0 3:20 33780
10/17/15 Nebraska L, 25-48 4-3-0 1-2-0 3:25 54062

The atmosphere at the bank has been very disappointing. I saw so much Husker red yesterday it was disgusting. We have a winning team and people sell their tickets. What's worse is that the gopher fans that are there (excluding student section) are lousy at best. I sit in section 242 on the home side and I'm the only one standing up on third downs and such. These are big ten games and people sit on the 90 year old hands. The Ski-U-Mah chant could be something special but you can hardly hear the away side. The students are the only ones who are enthusiastic. You wonder why our team isn't fired up. We having winning team and it's time that we change the culture here to a winning culture. We have a school with so much tradition and we waste it. I'd just like to see the bank rock one night where everyone is in their feet hooting and hollering cause up to now, I've been very disappointed.
The crowd was very subdued yesterday and late arriving too. I am with you about trying to rally the fans in the stands. If I wanna be a spectator I will watch it on tv.

Not sure how many home games you've been to, but I've left TCF voiceless quite a few times over the last couple years. When the team gives us something to cheer about I've been pretty impressed with the crowd. The win over Neb a couple years ago, playing OSU tight, etc. Even when they lost, if it was good and exciting football the crowd was into it. There just hasn't been anything this year to really be excited about. Three point wins against bottom rung schools isn't going to generate excitement.

As far as the Husker red, we had a lot of Husker fans in 209. And talking to many of them and overhearing many of them, I'd bet half if not more were MN residents who are Nebraska alums or had kids going to Nebraska. Some of the Gopher fans were harassing a Husker fan in front of us; country hick, inbred, etc. sort of thing. The guy looked back at me, shrugged and said, "Not sure what that's about. I'm from Brooklyn Park."

"Bad atmosphere" hasn't been my experience in section 103. But I've seen enough others on this board say it's bad to make me believe that I'm in the minority.

I will say it seemed like there was less red in the stadium than there was in Nebraska's last two visits here.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I sit in the student section, so I kind of get a different view since everything is loud over there.

However, the TCU game atmosphere seemed different. The stadium seemed to be rocking that night (most of the time).

The Ski-U-Mah chant is forced and lame.

Absolutely right. The chant should be continuous and rapid. Remember the chants yesterday from the Husker fans "Go Big Red" or Iowa fans chanting "Let's go Hawks"? If the students were taught to chant "Ski-U-Mah" in the same cadence as "Let's go Hawks" it would be awesome and unique. Moreover if the students were chanting the entire stadium would chime in. Companies and institutions search tirelessly for ways to distinguish themselves and the U has a perfect way to do so with athletics. This could be a terrific branding opportunity if done right.

Also, while I am ranting let's get rid of the "I'm too cool to take this cheering seriously" lame, post modern "rah" from the announcer at the end of the rouser.

With the average age of Gophers fans falling roughly in the 110 range, it is difficult to create a loud atmosphere. I have attended games at Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Northwestern, and Illinois. TCF needs to replace current fans with the Vikings fans. Only stadium which is worse is Northwestern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sit in the student section, so I kind of get a different view since everything is loud over there.

However, the TCU game atmosphere seemed different. The stadium seemed to be rocking that night (most of the time).

It shouldn't be terribly surprising that the season opener against the #2 team in the nation created a slightly better atmosphere than the Nebraska game...

It shouldn't be terribly surprising that the season opener against the #2 team in the nation created a slightly better atmosphere than the Nebraska game...

Right. But OP said the bank is never rocking. Definitely was that night. But I understand that it shouldn't take a top 5 match up to get the crowd into it.

Why are they lousy? Because they're not hooting and hollering like the game is a life and death matter? The Twin Cities is a very cosmopolitan place with lots of amenities.

This is the dumbest argument in the history of arguments.

With the average age of Gophers fans falling roughly in the 110 range, it is difficult to create a loud atmosphere. I have attended games at Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Northwestern, and Illinois. TCF needs to replace current fans with the Vikings fans. Only stadium which is worse is Northwestern.

What a dumb ass thing to say. It's that core of fans that have stayed with this program through over 50 years of mediocre to inept football. Without that support the stadium wouldn't have been built, and things would have been even more bleak many years. Not sure why so many comments blaming the old fans (of which I am one) pop up here. That demographic is part of every team's fan base. Sorry, I'm going to get excited when there is something to actually get excited about. The fake cheers and forced attempts at enthusiasm don't do it. I also see many of the younger fans paying as much attention to their phones as to what is going on in the game but not really calling for them to be replaced.

Home attendance is up this year over last year. The crowd might have been a little subdued because the gophers were behind yesterday for nearly the whole game. And it looked like they were not going to turn things around no matter how loud the crowd could have been. Fans are people and they have feelings too. Silly to think we would hoot and holler for no reason. Can't blame the crowds for the poor play. Sorry.

The Billds took a run at it in 212 on Nebraska's first possession. Figured that with the Gophers marching down the field on our first possession that we could establish hostile from the get go. Definitely worth some noise, especially with NU starting deep (on the 15 or so I think).

There wasn't a single bite. Couldn't believe it.

As I've mentioned before 212 has significantly deteriorated; that goes for 211 and 213 for that matter. As far as I'm concerned the ticket hike and associated seat movements has filled the seats with zombies. Increasingly disappointing.

We really like these seats and we're not going to shut up. Football is not a spectator sport. It's participatory.

I bet that at least 50% of the Nebraska fans yesterday live in the Twin Cities. I work with a guy who grew up in Nebraska, and he was going to the game with a group of 6 who all live here. It's the one chance they get to see their team.

Likewise, I talked with 2 guys in their 60s at Surly who were decked out in red. They both have lived in the south metro for over 40 years and usually cheer for the Gophers...

they will look at see the worst thing they ever did was add the seat licenses and made it open to re-selecting seats. It moved many long time fans out and moved everyone else around where they had friends from years past. It is much easier to high people you have know for years than strangers

Pretty sure a big chunk of red was due to the 2-fer sale (1 non-conference + 1 conference) and the single-game sales too going to NU locals.

By the time we got back to Lot 86 noted that a number of Huskers were leaving with Minnesota plates.

I see it like someone complaining about running up the score. The way to deal with the issue is to stop them from scoring. In this case, fill the seats with Gophers and you're left with the 3000 seat allotment plus the scalpers and Gophers who sell their seats to the other guys.

Pretty sure a big chunk of red was due to the 2-fer sale (1 non-conference + 1 conference) and the single-game sales too going to NU locals.

By the time we got back to Lot 86 noted that a number of Huskers were leaving with Minnesota plates.

I see it like someone complaining about running up the score. The way to deal with the issue is to stop them from scoring. In this case, fill the seats with Gophers and you're left with the 3000 seat allotment plus the scalpers and Gophers who sell their seats to the other guys.

I sit with family members in section 110. There are many long term season ticket holders in that section who sell to the highest bidder to recoup some of the increasing license fees. This results in having a larger number of opposing fans than when the ticket prices did not include these hostage fees. There are a number of very negative, complaining older fans there who seem almost happy when the Gophers play poorly. I have asked a number of them why they keep coming if the experience is so negative for them and never really get a clear response. Minnesota needs to support our student athletes and hope they can get healthy to finish strong.

Why are they lousy? Because they're not hooting and hollering like the game is a life and death matter? The Twin Cities is a very cosmopolitan place with lots of amenities. Nebraska is much more culturally homogenous (maybe that's what you're actually wishing for). Most Nebraska residents have little or nothing more interesting in their environments than college football. If you really want to live in a place more like Nebraska, then moving to Nebraska is a much simpler solution than wishing the culture here would change.

Such a Minnesotan thing to say...all I read was:
"yeah but we have great culture with lots of museums and theatre........we're too sophisticated to cheer loudly"

Not great getting blown out didn't help an already down mood

People in the row in front of us - blue collar folks - and big Gopher fans, are gone this year because of ticket price hikes. The absurd -near-tripling of season tickets by the departed a***ole AD, will drive more away, as the on-field product will.

I sit with family members in section 110. There are many long term season ticket holders in that section who sell to the highest bidder to recoup some of the increasing license fees. This results in having a larger number of opposing fans than when the ticket prices did not include these hostage fees. There are a number of very negative, complaining older fans there who seem almost happy when the Gophers play poorly. I have asked a number of them why they keep coming if the experience is so negative for them and never really get a clear response. Minnesota needs to support our student athletes and hope they can get healthy to finish strong.

I commented about this in another thread. I think MN sports fans have seen our teams fail so many times, some people would just prefer to be negative because it is easier. If you're negative and expect the worst, then when it does happen it doesn't hurt as much. But if you're optimistic, then the losses hurt more.

I can see how some will be a little cautious, but what is the point of being a fan if you can't enjoy the wins and be optimistic about the future at least once in awhile?

Let's not rip the old timers. Those guys and gals have spent a ton of money over the years to watch crap football (excluding a short Mason stint) and they deserve to watch now however they choose just like the rest of us. If the team gives them anything at all to grab onto they will get fired up and stand. Very difficult to get on your feet for a 3rd down when you're down 21 points and you know for a fact our offense won't get us back in the game. If the D could maybe get a turnover? Or if the D can give the opposing QB less than 12 seconds on their 3rd and longs? Or special teams could return the ball more than 10 yards without a penalty? Or if Limey calls anything other than a 2 yard out on 3rd and 7? Then the fans might get excited. We can't play poorly executed, boring football and expect the fans to scream at the top of their liver-spotted lungs.

MN is different. Twin Cities are the largest metro area for all schools in the west division. Chances are good, many competitor's fans live here. Still at least 42,000 gopher fans were at the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would not be surprised if a number of those NU fans actually bought Gophers season tickets for this one game, and have sold the rest.
I even know a Bison fan who did that for their season opener at Montana. It's not uncommon.

TCF needs to replace current fans with the Vikings fans. Only stadium which is worse is Northwestern.

So basically encourage excessive drunkenness and a total party atmosphere?

Top Bottom