B1G vs SEC poll (who's better?)

Comparing the B1G against the SEC historically. Who is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
This is a bit of a rant. I heard the bowl commentators talking about whether the SEC participants wanted to play (as if they get to decide) their given opponents. I would think that the players would have more pride than that and go out to try to prove that they deserve "better".

Also, the SEC won't travel to play a B1G team in November. Why not?

I'm getting really tired of the SEC dictating and given a pass by the media and college football particularly.

What you say??

"Also, the SEC won't travel to play a B1G team in November. Why not? "

Well ... mostly because we B1G teams don't even offer it as our schedules in Nov are already locked up by the B1G....

Also the same reasons everyone wants to stay home, more money...

Big Ten and SEC are very equal.
Elite: SEC 1 (LSU); BT 1 (OSU)
Top 15: SEC 3 (UGA, FL, Bama); BT 4 (PSU, WIS, MN, Iowa)
Ranked: SEC 1 (Auburn); BT 1 (Michigan)
Slightly Above Avg: SEC 4(TAM, UT, UK, Mizzou); BT 3 (IU, MSU, ILL)
Slightly Below Avg: SEC 4 (Ole Miss, Miss St, Vandy, SC); BT 4 (Mary, Purdue, Neb, NW)
Garbage: SEC 1 (Arkansas); BT 1 (Rutgers)

SEC a little better at the top. SEC is more consistent at winning big inter-conference games at the top of the food chain. It’s very debatable if league is better top to bottom.

Slightly better but as noted the bowls aren’t the best barometer as they are essentially home games and that’s worth a point or two,

Plenty of competitive games over the years. I think the disconnect comes in where SEC fans believe en masse it isn’t even a competition, every loss is an anomaly or lack of motivation and similar nonsense.

I think Minnesota dominated Auburn.

Just double-checked the stats; I was right. Minnesota cleaned their clock.

Public Service Announcement: it’s possible to be complimentary of the SEC as a conference without diminishing the accomplishments of the B1G.

Follow the $$ and recognize that certain media outlets have vested financial interests in certain conferences and, therefore, in playing emotional fans off of each other while laughing all the way to the bank.

I’d say the SEC is a little better than the B1G but the Gophers can compete with anyone in the sec

Well, the REAL MONEY, is in research, and the B1G was so far ahead of the SEC it's not even funny, but then we saw how much money the SEC was bringing in and it had to be a little embarrassing the once proud B1G getting whooped on by the idjits of the south, so I believe a top down effort was made to convince all the B1G schools to start investing more in their football/athletic programs. We brought in PSU and then Nebraska, then the TV money really started cooking, and our jumping on the Conf TV network thing first, allowed the B1G to get back to being closer to the SEC overall.

But football is all schools like Bama, Auburn, USCar, Tenn, Miss St and Ole Miss seem to have going for them, so of course they pretty much had to invest more time and energy and money into their football programs. So the SEC is probably still a little better, mostly because they more often than not have that one team that seems to be able to beat anyone. Usually Bama, but not always, when Bama has an off year, another team steps up, Aub, Flor, LSU. We seem to have to depend only on Ohio St every year. It hurt the B1G when PSU got nailed for the whole pedo thing. Toss in UW's being too one dimensional and Michigan struggling to find a good coach, oh and Nebraska's just disappearing from the discussion altogether. MSU having that nice little run they had helped, and now the Gophers being on the rise will help as well. I think PSU has recovered and Iowa remains always decent. We'll remain right on the SEC's heels until we get a 2nd or 3rd program able to win it all occasionally. One thing that helps is the talent must be getting more spread out into other conferences, as more and more SEC programs seem to be losing early season games to non-conference opponents they shouldn't be losing to.

Alabama, Georgia and Auburn and Florida and LSU--the SEC is a little better. I might have said a lot better before the Gophers took down Auburn.

Last edited:

This is a bit of a rant. I heard the bowl commentators talking about whether the SEC participants wanted to play (as if they get to decide) their given opponents. I would think that the players would have more pride than that and go out to try to prove that they deserve "better".

Also, the SEC won't travel to play a B1G team in November. Why not?

I'm getting really tired of the SEC dictating and given a pass by the media and college football particularly.

What you say??
what i care about today. GOPHERS POUNDED AUBURN !!!!!!!!!

Alabama, Georgia and Auburn and Florida and LSU--the SEC is a little better. I might have said a lot better before the Gophers took down Auburn.
We all remember how scared you were Bob...

SEC is a bit better, consistently so by varying degrees.

SEC #1
Big Ten #1
SEC #2-3
Big Ten #2-3
SEC #4
Big Ten #4
Everyone else.
then
Rutgers

Serious question: What does this mean?

In a given year if I have to rank the SEC and Big Ten Teams, it would typically reflect this order.

SEC #1 (SEC's best team is best)
Big Ten #1 (Big Ten's best is not as good as SEC #1, but better than their second team probably).
SEC #2-3 (The next two best SEC teams are probably better than the Big Ten's next best team)
Big Ten #2-3 (But then the 2nd and 3rd best Big Ten teams are probably better than the 4th best SEC team)
SEC #4 (Etc)
Big Ten #4
Everyone else.
then
Rutgers

Got it. You're saying the Gophers aren't as good as LSU but are probably better than Georgia.:)

I feel like the SEC remains a tad above the B1G in football. That says a lot when you consider where most of the HS football talent is in this country. The B1G is legit and deserves to always be taken seriously when playing a team from the SEC or anywhere else for that matter.

But my point extends beyond just the SEC and B1G. I feel all of the Power 5 conferences are close enough that their conference champions deserve to be in an extended playoff. I get irritated when SEC fans and sEcSPN go on about the SEC supposedly being in a different world, football wise. But I also think it is unfair to dismiss the ACC and PAC12 as if they can't compete. I can surely recognize when these conferences are "down" as the ACC is this year but you don't have to look very far to understand there is more parity (between conferences) in college football than many would care to admit. Oregon just beat Wisconsin. Cal beat Illinois. Pitt gave Penn State a great game. Although there might be single season trends, for the most part power 5 teams are capable of beating other power 5 teams and this happens all the time.

It really bugs me when the preseason polls have half the top ten set aside for the SEC, and then many of the SEC schools proceed to schedule softly, only have 8 conf games, mix in a November cream puff, and set themselves up to only likely lose to other SEC schools, which in turn guarantees the rankings to continue to be weighted in the SEC's favor all season. Bowls then annually prove the SEC is actually mortal and schools like MN can beat highly regarded SEC teams like Auburn, but this is cast aside with "motivation" BS so the following season can again be front loaded with SEC teams. That is what really bugs me and that is why I would like to see the polls and committee relegated to determining only at large teams while conference champions get auto bids (even if that means an occasional 8-4 team that gets hot and wins its conference is allowed into the playoff).

Having a "foot in both conferences" because of family connections .... The conferences are close.

Ohio State is a behemoth. They just have so much money . . . . it's hard for everyone else in the B1G to compete; it's not a level playing field, it just isn't.

As close as the SEC comes to Ohio State is Alabama - and they've been "close" to Ohio State, in terms of dominance in the conference, over past 5-10 years, but they're not Ohio State (as you've seen this year).

Rutgers in the B1G and Vanderbilt in the SEC probably "pair" well as "bottom feeders" (though Vandy has been decent on occasion, whereas Rutgers just hasn't).

Beyond that - I just think the SEC, right now, is "deeper." It may not be that way in 3-4-5 years, depending on how various coaching hires work out.

LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn (recognizing the Gophers beat them up physically) - at some point, the B1G runs out of teams which can "match up."

That's "right now" - doesn't mean it'll stay that way.

Top Bottom