B1G Tournament Game 1: Gophers vs Penn State (3-1-23)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Two 4-14 teams ignite Target Center’s Big Ten tournament as Penn State and Minnesota clash for the third time this season. The Gophers hold a 2-0 advantage over the Lady Lions who account for half Minnesota’s conference wins. In addition to PSU, Minnesota defeated Nebraska and Purdue. Penn State’s four conference victories are Northwestern, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Rutgers.

Under Lindsay Whalen the Gophers are 1-4 in the Big Ten tournament with the only win coming against Carolyn Kieger’s Penn State squad in 2020. Everything (sort of) points to the Gophers advancing to meet a Michigan team which appears to be limping to the finish. Who knew 4-14 may turn out to be a perk?

Unfortunately I think we're going to see the old axiom about how difficult it is to beat a team three times in one year coming to play. Sure hope I'm wrong though cuz I would love to see you a little momentum to finish the year off.

Unfortunately I think we're going to see the old axiom about how difficult it is to beat a team three times in one year coming to play. Sure hope I'm wrong though cuz I would love to see you a little momentum to finish the year off.
That gets said a lot, but I've never seen any data that suggests that teams who are 2-0 against an opponent tend to lose the third game. It is tough to beat a team three times in one year because you need to go three for three. Once the first 2 games already won, I am not any more concerned about the third game that I would be for an opponent with a comporable record who we split with.

That gets said a lot, but I've never seen any data that suggests that teams who are 2-0 against an opponent tend to lose the third game. It is tough to beat a team three times in one year because you need to go three for three. Once the first 2 games already won, I am not any more concerned about the third game that I would be for an opponent with a comporable record who we split with.
Probably depends on how you look at everything. It's like my feeling if I come to bat after getting 3 straight hits or if I'm standing at the free throw line after making 5 in a row. Are the odds with or against me? In my mind, what happened during the previous at bats or FT's have nothing to do with my current situation. Each situation is a blank slate, completely separate from what happened in the past. Now, I can mentally allow previous situations affect me in either a positive or negative way, but if I'm truly locked in, now is the only thing I'm thinking about. Each situation is it's own entity.

Hard to beat a team 3 times in a season is an NFL axiom taking into account the "any given Sunday" and the parity of the NFL. Misapplied if we're talking about womens NCAA basketball.

Its hard to beat a team 3 times in a year when teams have a similar talent level which these teams do. That said Penn State has looked disinterested the last month while the Gophers who are still inconsistent are playing their best. Getting off to a good start is important today, dont give PSU any hope. Gotta think today might be Kiegers last game as head coach.

Penn St lockdown D is.......locking us down. And it seems we never planned for the press. I love Whalen but not this much.

Battle needs to slow down, Katie B needs to stop throwing these soft left handed passes, it gets stolen everytime. for as bad as they have played only down 10 is wild. Make some of these open shots and its a ballgame.

21 turnovers through 3 with the PG having 7 of them. That won't beat anyone. Double the turnovers to Penn State.

Email I’m surprised. Penn State leads with their forearm a lot when driving to the basket.

Here they come!!!! These ladies are so special!!! They are going to do it!!!!

Basically better in every way except turnovers and now PSU turning it over repeatedly.

Top Bottom