B1G Tournament Game 1: Gophers Versus Northwestern (3-3-22)

Northwestern will be motivated. A loss to the Gophers might knock them out of the NCAA tourney.

Northwestern will be motivated. A loss to the Gophers might knock them out of the NCAA tourney.
true, but they aren't playing their best basketball and it is a good matchup for us as they don't shoot the 3 real well.
MN has a lot at stake too - one, we have 5 seniors and two, we are playing some good ball right now. (i.e. Kadi has to be feeling good heading into this game)

I like this matchup for the Gophers. Burton is terrific for NW, but they never know what they're going to get from their other players.

will be interesting if Rose is able to play for us.. if she can play.. I think I still start LBK/Sissoko.. LBK actually played very well against Northwestern here.

will be interesting if Rose is able to play for us.. if she can play.. I think I still start LBK/Sissoko.. LBK actually played very well against Northwestern here.
Rose is a freshman and has faded in the 2nd half of the season, plus her intensity on Defense just isn't there, which could be a function of a Freshman. I most definitely stay with this lineup, I want to see more out of Rose, playing time is a privilege.
Its time to ride out these seniors..

Would've nice to see them get hot and bump off two. One seems more realistic. Hopefully both Northwestern and Iowa overlook the GOPHERS.

I think the Gophers can beat Northwestern even if the Wildcats don't overlook the Gophers. Iowa, on the other hand, is a whole different set of problems. Maybe the best 1-2 tandem in the country now with Clark and Czinano. I watched Iowa drill Michigan yesterday and was amazed by the stat that Czinana had 16 dribbles on over 200 made baskets. That's remarkable. On a related note, the huge crowd in Iowa yesterday reminded me of what can happen when a local high school star stays home.

I think that not only should LBK start but she should play about 7 minutes a quarter. The team sputters when she is on the bench. She provides stability and energy. Scalia is a given because she can play at least 38 minutes, has fire power, and provides stability. Hubbard, Sissoko, Winters, and Rose are a puzzle. They all can make a big impact but it is hard to predict when. I think that they should only play one Sub on the floor at a time. When they put in platoons, they sputter and give away big leads. Go Gophers.

Anybody feel like the Gophers kept Northwestern in the game? Gophers had some good looks but couldn’t knock them down. Still after allowing an 11-0 run, to be ahead at halftime is commendable. Need Winters and Hubbard to find their shot second half. Go Gophers!

I like our balance, Deja and Diva need to contribute. We need to keep them in front! our help is good, our backside rotation is not good

Need to stay out of foul trouble in the 2nd half, really need LBK and Winters on the floor

A close game. Not the kind we usually pull out. Hope we can however.

On to next season, hopefully it will be better for the Gopher BB fans.

Wow northwestern really leaving the door open for us.

Feel like they're really going to be keying on Scalia. Maybe that'll leave Winters or diva open for a three attempt

Man we’re just horrible in the Big Tourney. Hopefully in my lifetime I might see a deep run. Sissoko turned it on at the end of the season but you cannot miss 5 straight FT’s. I do hope Sissoko stays with the team.

our composure at the end of close games is not good.
what the heck was that last offensive play, to have Lex go 1 on 1??

our composure at the end of close games is not good.
what the heck was that last offensive play, to have Lex go 1 on 1??
looked like it was suppose to go to Lex on the in bounds then prolly run some quick action for Scalia but NW took the in bounds pass away so it was scrambled.

looked like it was suppose to go to Lex on the in bounds then prolly run some quick action for Scalia but NW took the in bounds pass away so it was scrambled.
you get the ball into Scalia and you force Northwestern to make a decision, double team her or no..

Great game--7 ties and 19 lead changes. Gophers played hard and well most of the game. Good contributions from many players. Northwestern made good defensive adjustments to the gopher offense and they rebounded strongly near the end of the game. Free throws made a big difference. Northwestern shot over twice as many free throws and made almost three times as many points on free throws. Gophers have some good things to build on but need to have recruits and underclassmen raise their games. Gophers need to pick up some high-quality big players in the transfer portal. Go Gophers.

I was wondering what Whalen was thinking, late in this game.
1) She played Helgren way too long and got -0- production from her
2) During NW's 4 missed free-throws, she had Helgren, who is 6"6", NOT rebounding, but way down the court. This was really dumb. If you are not having her rebound, why have her in the game?

I was wondering what Whalen was thinking, late in this game.
1) She played Helgren way too long and got -0- production from her
2) During NW's 4 missed free-throws, she had Helgren, who is 6"6", NOT rebounding, but way down the court. This was really dumb. If you are not having her rebound, why have her in the game?
Agreed... she forgot all about LBK who was our energy, was making plays.. This isnt the first game she played Helgren to long, when we get down, why play her? she isnt even a good interior defender either.
The other thing why did we keep going over picks and getting caught with mis matches.. They were 3 for 23 from three, why go over?

Top Bottom