B1G Tournament Bracket 2022

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

ROSEMONT, Ill. - The Big Ten announced on Saturday the bracket for the 2022 Big Ten Men's Ice Hockey Tournament, with Big Ten Champion Minnesota collecting the top seed after earning its fifth Big Ten title and the program’s first since 2017. The 2022 Big Ten Tournament will feature a three-weekend format with all games taking place on the campus of the higher-seeded teams.

The tournament will open March 4-6 with three best-of-three quarterfinal series, as No. 2 seed Michigan will host No. 7 seed Michigan State, No. 3 seed Notre Dame will entertain No. 6 seed Wisconsin and No. 4 seed Ohio State will host No. 5 seed Penn State. The Nittany Lions and Badgers tied for fifth place in the final standings, but Penn State claimed the No. 5 seed due to its 3-1-0 record against Wisconsin.

As the top-seeded team, Minnesota will have a bye to the single-elimination semifinals, which are scheduled for March 12. The highest-seeded team advancing from the quarterfinals will host the second-highest advancing seed, while the lowest-seeded advancing team will play at Minnesota.

The highest-seeded team remaining after the semifinals will host a championship game scheduled for the weekend of March 19.

Michigan’s quarterfinal matchup will air on FS2 and Bally Sports Detroit, while the other quarterfinal matchups will be available on B1G+.

The quarterfinal schedule can be found below, while the complete tournament bracket can be found in the image above.

2022 BIG TEN HOCKEY TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINALS
March 4-6 | Best-of-three series

#7 MICHIGAN STATE AT #2 MICHIGAN

Game 1: Friday, March 4 – 7 p.m. ET on FS2
Game 2: Saturday, March 5 – 7 p.m. ET on Bally Sports Detroit
Game 3: Sunday, March 6 (if necessary) – 7 p.m. ET on FS2

#6 WISCONSIN AT #3 NOTRE DAME

Game 1: Friday, March 4
Game 2: Saturday, March 5
Game 3: Sunday, March 6 (if necessary)

#5 PENN STATE AT #4 OHIO STATE

Game 1: Friday, March 4
Game 2: Saturday, March 5
Game 3: Sunday, March 6 (if necessary)

Its amazing to me Wisconsin somehow finished above Michigan St. Talk about two bad teams...

I get why it's spread out, since the games are at the home ice of the higher seeded team, but it feels weird that the tournament is spread out over 3 weekends.

I hope it gets revamped at some point. Have a full single elimination tournament or 1st round best of 3 then the final rounds the same weekend.

Either do it at the number 1 seed (preferred) or possibly rotate at NHL venues (St Paul, Columbus, Detroit, Philly/Pitt, Chicago).

I get why it's spread out, since the games are at the home ice of the higher seeded team, but it feels weird that the tournament is spread out over 3 weekends.

Yeah pretty brutal just playing a semi final on saturday and then waiting until the next saturday to play 1 more game.

Oh well.

With how bad MSU and Wisky both are, pretty much can lock in us getting the winner of PSU/OSU as our oppenent.

Yeah pretty brutal just playing a semi final on saturday and then waiting until the next saturday to play 1 more game.

Oh well.

With how bad MSU and Wisky both are, pretty much can lock in us getting the winner of PSU/OSU as our oppenent.
First round as is seems fine to me, then just do the semis and the final in the same next weekend IMO. The nice thing about the current setup is that it allows all games to be on campus at the site of the higher seeded team though. And not to beat this dead horse but they need as much attendance as possible I suppose.

First round as is seems fine to me, then just do the semis and the final in the same next weekend IMO. The nice thing about the current setup is that it allows all games to be on campus at the site of the higher seeded team though. And not to beat this dead horse but they need as much attendance as possible I suppose.
While I agree that I'd prefer the semis and final at one site on the same weekend, one other factor in favor of the current set up is the atmosphere for the conference championship game. The format they have adopted assures a home team in the final. Imagine the "crowd" for a Michigan vs. Penn State championship game at Mariucci.

While I agree that I'd prefer the semis and final at one site on the same weekend, one other factor in favor of the current set up is the atmosphere for the conference championship game. The format they have adopted assures a home team in the final. Imagine the "crowd" for a Michigan vs. Penn State championship game at Mariucci.
Agreed, that's fair.

Hopefully we have a full house next week!
I doubt it, with the HS hockey championship and probably not one of the big name opponents (Wisconsin/Michigan). However if we win and get Michigan in the championship game, it will be a good crowd.

Bring home an NCAA title this year and we will see more crowds like we had last weekend next year.

I doubt it, with the HS hockey championship and probably not one of the big name opponents (Wisconsin/Michigan). However if we win and get Michigan in the championship game, it will be a good crowd.

Bring home an NCAA title this year and we will see more crowds like we had last weekend next year.
On the contrary, I think this might increase the chance of a good crowd. Folks will already be in town, and none of the games will conflict time wise with the Gopher Game. The high school players might want to all go to the Gopher game afterward. You never know.

On the contrary, I think this might increase the chance of a good crowd. Folks will already be in town, and none of the games will conflict time wise with the Gopher Game. The high school players might want to all go to the Gopher game afterward. You never know.
Isn't the AA championship the same night as the semifinal?

Of course now there's a chance the badgers are coming to town again, which would boost attendance.

So we'll probably face Wisconsin again next week I would expect. Gophers best be focused, Wisconsin will come into that game looking for blood and to prove something.
I'm not convinced they won't lose the next two, but if not, I'd love to put another pounding on the red guys next weekend.

So we'll probably face Wisconsin again next week I would expect. Gophers best be focused, Wisconsin will come into that game looking for blood and to prove something.
I think the Domers will win tonight & tomorrow

Isn't the AA championship the same night as the semifinal?

Of course now there's a chance the badgers are coming to town again, which would boost attendance.
Ah yeah, I was just looking at the class A bracket, my bad.

I guess we'll see how things pan out.

Are you new to the Big Ten Tournament? It's going to be basically empty. Maybe 3000 people there max.
It didn't used to be played at the higher ranked team's home ice though, that may make a difference.

It didn't used to be played at the higher ranked team's home ice though, that may make a difference.
The Big Ten tournament has been at Mariucci multiple times.
Paid attendance:
3/8/19: 1835
3/9/19: 1911
3/6/20: 2012
3/7/20: 2281
3/8/20: 2039

The Big Ten tournament has been at Mariucci multiple times.
Paid attendance:
3/8/19: 1835
3/9/19: 1911
3/6/20: 2012
3/7/20: 2281
3/8/20: 2039
I will admit, I did not realize that the B1G tournament had been played at the higher seeded team's ice for a few seasons now.

Regular season attendance was on a downward trend those seasons though, and while we don't have the numbers for this season it feels like it's started to come back a bit. Further, those seasons the team was rank 20th and 18th. In the 2018-2019 season we ended the year on a 3 game winning streak, and in the 2019-2020 season we ended in a terrible skid, only winning 3 of the 9 games played in February and either tying (and losing in OT) or losing the last 4 games. We also didn't win the regular season B1G title either season.

Coming into the tournament the #1 seed, winning the B1G Regular season title, being ranked #2 nationally, and ending the regular season with 4 consecutive sweeps is a far cry from the situation the team was in during those seasons. I think we see far better numbers this year.

I will admit, I did not realize that the B1G tournament had been played at the higher seeded team's ice for a few seasons now.

Regular season attendance was on a downward trend those seasons though, and while we don't have the numbers for this season it feels like it's started to come back a bit. Further, those seasons the team was rank 20th and 18th. In the 2018-2019 season we ended the year on a 3 game winning streak, and in the 2019-2020 season we ended in a terrible skid, only winning 3 of the 9 games played in February and either tying (and losing in OT) or losing the last 4 games. We also didn't win the regular season B1G title either season.

Coming into the tournament the #1 seed, winning the B1G Regular season title, being ranked #2 nationally, and ending the regular season with 4 consecutive sweeps is a far cry from the situation the team was in during those seasons. I think we see far better numbers this year.
I think the semifinal will be better than those past years, but nothing like Wisconsin weekend unfortunately. Now a championship game against Michigan would sell fairly well I think. Were it not for the state tournament this weekend would have a decent turnout - that is a major factor in the numbers bonin displayed.

Top Bottom