B1G Tournament 2022-23

But nothing can compare to the experience Lockwood has endured since becoming the Spartans' acting head coach in late January. Lockwood took over after coach Suzy Merchant had what MSU has described as a medical incident on Jan. 28. She has not returned to the sidelines.

Merchant remains in contact with the program and Lockwood said her spirits are good. He anticipates leading the Spartans for the remainder of the season as Merchant continues to recover.

Update:

Brown's absence wasn't as lengthy as Phelia's, but her contributions were still missed. Prior to Michigan's senior night matchup with Rutgers, the program announced that Brown would not be available due to an "internal issue."

She then missed the team's ensuing matchup with Wisconsin, and questions began to arise about whether the fifth-year senior would be available for the postseason. Michigan was upset in Madison on Sunday, and it was clear Michigan wasn't the same team without Brown in the lineup.

However, Barnes Arico put all rumors to bed on Tuesday morning on Sports Talk 1050 WTKA.
"Leigha is available, which is great news, obviously, heading into the tournament" Barnes Arico said."

As for Phelia, Barnes Arico wasn't as optimistic that her return would come as quickly as Brown's, but she was quick to mention that Phelia will "be back at some point."

"She's progressing really well, and she is super antsy, and she's ready to go," Barnes Arico said. "She's got an opportunity to meet with the doctor this week and I think she's really progressing really well.

In other news, the B1G tournament has been outstanding thus far. (I skipped out of the Illinois/Rutgers game to rest up for the remaining games). Here's Purdue's winning bucket. Here's hoping the top four bring the intensity.

Nebraska was a rocky team this season. Expected to be good, then not, then good, then not.

Big Ten has some incredible teams this year, each with interesting character. The Final Four will be exciting to see who knocks of whom among those big time teams.

Today
1677818527225.png

Tomorrow

1677818564640.png

1677818641629.png

1677818670520.png

In other news, the B1G tournament has been outstanding thus far. (I skipped out of the Illinois/Rutgers game to rest up for the remaining games). Here's Purdue's winning bucket. Here's hoping the top four bring the intensity.

This was an exciting basketball game even though Wisconsin was involved.

This was an exciting basketball game even though Wisconsin was involved.
The Badgers actually looked organized. And Marisa Moseley's foot stomp is nearing Felisha Legette-Jack level.

Here's hoping the Illini can make Maryland break a sweat. The other games today should have their moments.

The Badgers actually looked organized. And Marisa Moseley's foot stomp is nearing Felisha Legette-Jack level.

Here's hoping the Illini can make Maryland break a sweat. The other games today should have their moments.
Agreed, Mosley has resurrected Badgers Women's basketball, can we Poach her? She is proving to be a good head coach. Tongue and cheek cause I'm anti Badger in all sports, but their program was near rock bottom. I'm going to bail on work early and make my way to Target Center. Looking forward to some great basketball. Should have planned and bought ahead. Very much agreed I'm an Illini fan today and will be looking to see them give Maryland a run for the money.

Last edited:

Gross sitting around so many Hawkeye fans. I know it gives this Gopher fan the jeeves and hurls being around the Black and Gold. Will say this though, it was fun having a lot of body's in Target Center and energy. NICE tournament atmosphere. Purdue hung tough for three quarters, Ellis really tried to keep Purdue in the game. A lot more Red or Scarlet and Gray for Ohio State than I was expecting today. Sure a lot of Hawks fans will bail and go to dinner, and watch next game on TV. Imagine what the Gophers could do in Minneapolis with a big crowd and great squad?

Thought Illinois was going to make more of a game of this tonight, 1st quarter was more evenly played. 2nd Quarter Illini looks disorganized and turning the ball over a lot. Illini cheer team and band is annoyingly loud early. Gonna have to move seats this half time show and pounding drums is giving me splitting headache. These people in feathers are just pounding on drums. Time to head to concessions.

If Maryland wins this tournament they could end up a 1 seed that is for sure. Iowa and Maryland, Indiana and Ohio State, it's going to be some of the best basketball all year. I hope the Gophers players watch this as a group tomorrow and see themselves here in the near future, have to visualize it and see what it takes to get to this level. Saturday is going to be the barn burner of the year.

Watched the opening two games from mid-court across from the benches. Ceded the territory to the Hawkeye brigade in the nightcap. No matter where you sat, I think Cotie McMahon was the player of the day.

Last edited:

This game will be exciting. Two elite, potential Sweet 16 teams go at it.

1677902052204.png
Teri Moren for Indiana won Big Ten Coach of the Year. Indiana is ranked #2 in the nation. Ohio State uses scheming to play better than they are and could upset Indiana -- even in a spectacular way.

And this will be real interesting. Two elite potential Sweet 16 teams go at it
1677902125225.png

Caitlin Clark of Iowa is the likely MVP of all NCAA basketball. Maryland under coach Brenda Frese is a perennial power. You know how bad they both want this win.

1677902347043.png

After decades of Gophers rivalry, Iowa still puts on the most memorable show​

MARCH 3, 2023 — 9:15PM

B10_Purdue_Iowa_Basketball.JPG

BRUCE KLUCKHOHN, ASSOCIATED PRESS - Purdue forward Rickie Woltman knocked the ball away from Iowa star Caitlin Clark during Friday’s third Big Ten women’s basketball tournament quarterfinal at Target Center.

Patrick Reusse Patrick Reusse

There are many Minnesotans who don't go back more than a quarter-century with their Gophers fandom and thus believe that Wisconsin stands as our state university's greatest rival.

"The Border Battle" … oh, those are so special, they will tell you.

These newbies — not even 50 years of age, most of them — are spewing hogwash.

The fiercest rivals for the Gophers for a larger share of the seven decades-plus since I became aware there was a Big Ten have been the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Good read Iowa:

Ohio State beats strong team 3 times in season:

Injury situation again at Indiana:

Diamond and defense:

Maryland and Iowa for tomorrow's game agree to elbows and brass knuckles, not really but it will be a cage match.

Looking forward to watching McMahon versus Indiana

Teri Moren for Indiana won Big Ten Coach of the Year. Indiana is ranked #2 in the nation. Ohio State uses scheming to play better than they are and could upset Indiana -- even in a spectacular way.

For one day only I will be wearing Ohio State red -- at the Ohio State vs Iowa game. I won't be cheering for anyone, just wearing the not-Iowa colors.

I don't know who saw this, but there were 9,375 in attendance today, the second-highest attendance in any session in the history of women's Big Ten Tournaments. One would think we'll have to be on the standing rotation now, right? Maybe we already are.

McMahon had a spectacular day when you consider that she spent a good part of the game guarding Holmes AND was in the first line of the press which turned the game in the Buckeyes favor.

It's been a terrific tournament to attend. We even found some great, but slightly, out of the way seats which minimized Hawkeye fan contact.

Anyway, kudos to Iowa fans for the atmosphere and kudos to Caitlin Clark and Diamond Miller for adding spark to the proceedings and annoying the rival fans.

The versatile Cotie McMahon:

Also, McMahon guarded forward Mackenzie Holmes exclusively all night, without any practice with that pairing before the game.

“She (Holmes) absolutely murdered us the first game and the second game. We had no answer,” said coach McGuff. “We knew we had to make some type of adjustment there, either double her, so we put Cotie on and fronted just to try to keep it out of her hands.”

McMahon grabbed two of her three steals in that position. Indiana is successful because they lob the ball into Holmes and let her use her size, speed and efficiency in the paint. Instead of trying to get between the rim and Holmes,

McGuff’s strategy of not letting her get the ball in the first place was a game-changer. How effective was it? Holmes had two points in the fourth quarter, going 1-for-3 from the floor.

On Jan. 26 and Feb. 13, Holmes scored a combined 59 points against the Buckeyes. Saturday, Holmes ended the night with 12 points. Holmes’ lowest point total in any Big Ten game this season, tying a total she had against Morehead State where the forward only played 18 minutes.

Doing the same thing wasn’t the only halftime adjustment. In the second half, McGuff went for a smaller set of players, bringing in guard Emma Shumate and sitting both forwards Eboni Walker and Rebeka Mikulášiková on the bench.

I don't know who saw this, but there were 9,375 in attendance today, the second-highest attendance in any session in the history of women's Big Ten Tournaments. One would think we'll have to be on the standing rotation now, right? Maybe we already are.
The Caitlin Clark effect is big right now. Interest will likely decline at least somewhat after she is gone.

If Maryland wins this tournament they could end up a 1 seed that is for sure. Iowa and Maryland, Indiana and Ohio State, it's going to be some of the best basketball all year. I hope the Gophers players watch this as a group tomorrow and see themselves here in the near future, have to visualize it and see what it takes to get to this level. Saturday is going to be the barn burner of the year.

Iowa's Lisa Bluder must be savoring the win over Brenda Frese and Maryland in such a highly-attended game. Maybe this season is finally Bluder's moment in the Final Four spotlight.

Last year I was none to pleased with running up the score at Williams Arena, but this year I admit she deserves a lot of respect.

It was one thing for McMahon to guard Holmes and quite another to guard Czinano. Clark with a triple double (30 points, 10 rebounds and 17 assists) in Iowa's rout of the Buckeyes.

Caitlin Clark recorded a stat line so impressive, no other college basketball player — man or woman — has ever reached it​

120ea2cc0c0a7dfe5e5801f7861a3513

Caitlin Clark recorded a stat line so impressive, no other college basketball player — man or woman — has ever reached it
Meredith Cash
Mon, March 6, 2023 at 5:07 PM CST·2 min read

• Iowa Hawkeyes superstar Caitlin Clark has been torching opponents throughout the 2023 season.
  • The Player of the Year frontrunner recorded her 10th career triple-double in the Big Ten Tournament championship game.
  • Clark recorded a stat line no other player — man or woman — has ever matched at the college level.
Caitlin Clark is the greatest act in all of basketball.

And she put on quite a show under the bright lights of her latest stage — the Big Ten Tournament championship game.

The junior superstar recorded the 10th triple-double of her illustrious college basketball career to lead her then-No. 7 Iowa Hawkeyes to a 105-72 rout of the No. 14 Ohio State Buckeyes, clinching the program's second conference title in as many years. Clark scored a game-high 30 points at a 52.9% clip from the field and 5-of-11 shooting from beyond the arc, adding 10 rebounds and a season-high 17 assists to round out the historic tour de force.

The accomplishment was unprecedented in the modern era of the NCAA; no other player — man or woman — has finished a game with at least 30 points and 15 assists in the last 20 years. Nor has any other player — again, man or woman — recorded a 25-point, 10-rebound, and 15-assist stat line in that same span.

Except for Clark, that is. She recorded 28 points, 10 rebounds, and 15 assists on the road against Ohio State — then ranked second in the nation — back in January of this year.
"It is a special accomplishment," Clark said after the game. "But I truly mean it doesn't happen without every single person in the locker room. So, I'm thankful for them."
Caitlin Clark.

Clark motions to the crowd during the Big Ten Tournament championship game.AP Photo/Bruce Kluckhohn

Next up for Clark and her Hawkeyes — now ranked No. 2 in the latest AP Poll, thanks to their impressive showing in the Big Ten Tournament — is the Big Dance. Last season, Iowa bowed out earlier than expected, in a second-round upset at the hands of the Creighton Bluejays.

But this year, the National Player of the Year frontrunner and her impressive supporting cast have their eyes set on a deep run — and perhaps a No. 1 seed on Selection Sunday to kick it all off .

"I think this does earn us a 1 seed," Clark said."We beat two 1-seeds in the past two weeks. I don't know how that wouldn't earn you a 1 seed, but I'm not the one that makes those decisions."

Probably would have drew even better if the event had been in Des Moines, IA.

For the second consecutive season, Big Ten regular season women's basketball and the Big Ten Women's Basketball Tournament Presented by TIAA were the most-watched in Big Ten Network history. BTN's Big Ten Women's basketball tournament was up +25% year-over-year, averaging 150,000 viewers per game, while the regular season was up +19% year-over-year.

Additionally, Saturday's tournament semifinal featuring Iowa vs. Maryland delivered 380,000 viewers, making it the most-watched game in network history. That topped the previous record set in February, when Iowa vs. Indiana earned an audience of 325,000.

Three of the top five women's basketball tournament games in network history came this season, while four of the five most-watched regular season games took place this season. On B1G+, nine of the top 10 women's basketball average-minute-audiences in B1G+ history took place this season, including the entire top 5.

Big Ten Network's Top Five Big Ten Women's Basketball Tournament Games:

DateMatchupViewership
3/4/2023Iowa vs. Maryland380,000
3/5/2022Iowa vs. Nebraska286,000
3/4/2022Michigan vs. Nebraska238,000
3/3/2023Iowa vs. Purdue236,000
3/4/2023Indiana vs. Ohio State222,000

Big Ten Network's Top Five Big Ten Women's Basketball Regular Season Games:

DateMatchupViewership
2/9/2023Iowa vs. Indiana325,000
2/16/2023Michigan vs. Indiana169,000
1/31/2022Ohio State vs. Indiana164,000
2/18/2023Iowa vs. Nebraska158,000
2/21/2023Iowa vs. Maryland151,000

i

Player of the week: Caitlin Clark, Iowa

The junior guard earns the honor for the third time this season. It comes after a Big Ten tournament tour-de-force in which Clark had 74 points, 30 assists and 23 rebounds in the Hawkeyes' three victories. She had the first triple-double in Big Ten championship game history and was tournament MVP for the second season in a row.

Ohio State coach Kevin McGuff said of Clark's 30-point, 17-assist, 10-rebound performance to beat his team in the final: "One area where she's really grown is she's reading the floor at an extremely high level. They're setting ball screens, and she's reading our coverages and making perfect passes to the appropriate person.

"And that makes it really tough to defend. She sees the floor and makes the right decisions as well as anybody I've seen, maybe ever, in college basketball."

Top Bottom