B1G schools and four-year scholarships

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score

I read that. Interesting. Kill has said that recruiting a guy is a "four year commitment." I am not sure of the connection to this, however.

Interesting. I would think that if the majority of the conference is on board we would be as well because you would not want it used against you. I can see where coaches would be against the change but it is a good thing for the players especially when a coaching change is involved.

Funny that up until a few months ago when it was discussed on here I had been under the impression that scholarships were already 4 year deals. I like the change.

Rittenberg has confirmed that the Gophers are NOT offering 4 year scholarships. They are citing "uncertainty o legislation about multi-year grants"

Seems like a disadvantage to me but, oh well. Got the guys in so I guess I can't complain.

Seems like a disadvantage to me but, oh well. Got the guys in so I guess I can't complain.
Only if they are approved and we don't do it. For now, it probably didn't change much given that none of our expected signees were swiped by another B1G school and since it doesn't appear that B1G schools were doing this the entire recruiting period (seems like decision to do so was more recent).

According to ESPN: Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois and Northwestern have taken the 4 year scholarship pledge.

Purdue, Minnesota and Indiana will continue with 1 year deals.

It seems odd that we didn't follow suit considering the number of B1G schools that did. It's also worth noting that the #7/8, #10, and #12 teams were the ones that didn't.

If we had accepted this pledge would we have still been able to give scholarships to walk-ons? And what would have happened with redshirt guys that would need 5 years? It may have been something in the details the U didn't agree with.

The first question at Kill's presser was about this. You could tell it caught him off guard. He said that his understanding was that they didn't finalize any decision and that B1G meetings in April (I think) would play an important deciding factor. The legislator also has a say in this apparently...

I like it. Players are locked into the school and can't transfer unless released from their scholarship...seems fair.

gophergrad said:
According to ESPN: Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois and Northwestern have taken the 4 year scholarship pledge.

Purdue, Minnesota and Indiana will continue with 1 year deals.
That can't be good for future recruiting?

Top Bottom