B1G Opening Day

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
In Michigan, Rutgers made it a game for a half. The Scarlet Knights trailed 26-25 at the break but the Wolverines pulled away for a 63-50 victory. Kysre Gondrezik was Michigan's star with 18 points and 7 rebounds.

Illinois took down Iowa in Champaign 70-65. Wittinger scored 18 and generally played a good two way game-at least an aggressive one. Holesinka was 4-5 from three for the Illini and finished with 16 points. The Hawkeye are still struggling for an identity without a lights out three point shooter.

After the Gopher game I caught the second half of Northwestern at Nebraska. It wasn't pretty but the Wildcats prevailed 62-58. It was 32-30 Northwestern at the half and Nebraska played better than I've seen this season until the end of the fourth quarter. Then they reverted to form. Northwestern wasn't much better. The score got stuck at 58-55 Northwestern from the 3:57 mark until :20 seconds remained in the fourth quarter.

Coffey, even with foul trouble, scored 22 and pulled down 9 rebounds. She was matched by Shepard (17 points and 15 rebounds).

The "have-nots" were more competitive than I thought they'd be. Illinois beat Iowa. I like their freshman point guard Beasley, the Czech import Holesinka, and obviously Wittinger. I think they'll win more games against the "haves". Nebraska gave Northwestern a run for their money, although that may speak more about the failings of Northwestern. And a short-handed and offensively-challenged Rutgers hung with Michigan for 20 minutes. A terrible game for Flaherty. Don't see many of those.

There are probably rules against it or whatever but because of what was going on in Illinois, I was hoping Stollings could try to get Minnesota girl Wittinger to come back to Minnesota. Maybe Stollings could even be convinced to start her. But if Illinois starts winning that doesn't seem very likely at all.

There are probably rules against it or whatever but because of what was going on in Illinois, I was hoping Stollings could try to get Minnesota girl Wittinger to come back to Minnesota. Maybe Stollings could even be convinced to start her. But if Illinois starts winning that doesn't seem very likely at all.

If I recall, Wittinger went to Illinois because her affiliated church had a strong campus ministry in Champaign. Right now she is playing with a lot of enthusiasm. Even after mistakes, of which she makes plenty, she just keeps digging away. And the Illini don't have much of an alternative at any forward position.

Top Bottom