B1G Non-Conference Games 2021-22

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Here are the opening match-ups. A couple of clubs venture out and St. Thomas plays its first D1 game.

Tuesday:
Longwood @ Maryland
North Carolina Central @ Illinois
Maine @ Nebraska
Morehead State @ Michigan State
St. Peters @ Rutgers
Long Island @ Penn State
IUPUI @ MIchigan
New Hampshire @ Iowa

Wednesday:

Bucknell @ Ohio State
Indiana
@ Butler
St. Thomas @ Wisconsin
Purdue
@ Western Kentucky
UIC @ Northwestern

Opening day, except for the Gophers, was B1G sweep. Although the Wolverines almost joined Minnesota in embarrassment. Michigan went overtime to defeat IUPUI 67-62.

not sure where to put this but big news from the buckeyes

Amy Dilk went down in the first minute for Michigan. Hopefully not an ACL, but nothing announced yet. Was hoping to see the Wolverines be a dark horse for the Final 4.

Amy Dilk went down in the first minute for Michigan. Hopefully not an ACL, but nothing announced yet. Was hoping to see the Wolverines be a dark horse for the Final 4.

One minute into the game, senior guard Amy Dilk slipped out from underneath herself and hit the ground. The entire crowd fell dead silent. Dilk remained on the ground for nearly three minutes, but was eventually able to walk off the court with some assistance.

“It was definitely tough to see that happen to her,” senior guard Danielle Rauch said. “It definitely shook a lot of us up. We got in the huddle and said, we got to do this for Amy, we got to play hard for her. … We tried to use our nerves and emotions to kind of fuel our game, nurse the way and use that momentum and play hard for her.”

The immediate injury created a dampened tone on the game, and the No. 11 Michigan women’s basketball team (1-0) could never quite recover, leading to a tight 67-62 overtime win against IUPUI (0-1).
[...]

The injury to Dilk forced freshman Jordan Hobbs into her first career action. The guard made an instant impact by stealing the ball from guard Rachel Kent, which brought the Wolverines bench to their feet.

Something called NJIT beat Wisconsin today. WI is pretty clearly the worst team in the big ten this year.

Something called NJIT beat Wisconsin today. WI is pretty clearly the worst team in the big ten this year.
The New Jersey Institute of Technology? I think there men's program pulled an upset a couple years ago, leading to lots of jokes about how could a 2 year online school have a team.

Last edited:

We, on the other hand, have played NJIT twice (2011 and 2015) and won them both.
they are missing their 2nd best player overseas for some time, she will be back and they have a promising freshman plus the kid from Beaver Dam will be ready to go probably in a few weeks, but your right new coach, freshman players = losses.

Stony Brook took down Rutgers in the RAC 53-44. The Scarlet Knights shot a Rutgers like 26% from the floor.

Rutgers has some major issues offensively
the big ten is starting to shake out a little so far and I see the gophers trying to inch into that top half.
I think Michigan, Mich St and Ohio state are beatable, I think Iowa relies on Clark to much, the teams that are really good are Maryland and Indiana. I think both could be final 4 material, but everybody else in that top we need to shoot for a split, home and home.

SIU Edwardsville (1-2) defeated Illinois (2-1) in Champaign 71-62.

SIUE lost their first two games to Kansas and Memphis. The Cougars are coached by former DePaul player Samantha Quigley Smith who is in her first year at SIUE. You could see Doug Bruno's influence when they were on offense-some of the time.

Wisconsin (1-2) got played in Peoria as the Bradley Braves (3-0) defeated the Badgers 64-57. Bradley was led by Elk River's Gabi Haack with 24 points and 8 rebounds. Haack also became the Braves all time scoring leader. We welcome Bradley and the one time Minnesota Gatorade Player of the Year to the Barn on the 26th of November.

Covid curtails the Hawkeyes:

IOWA CITY, Iowa — The Iowa women’s basketball team has canceled Sunday’s home game against Drake out of abundance of caution due to positive COVID-19 test results within the program. In addition, Iowa’s appearance at next week’s Cancun Challenge has been canceled.

“We’re obviously disappointed but understand this is the right decision,” said Lisa Bluder, P. Sue Beckwith, M.D., Head Women’s Basketball Coach. “Our team and staff have followed best practices. But unfortunately, a number of individuals experienced symptoms and tested positive. We will continue to follow the guidance of our medical staff and look forward to returning to the court.”

In volleyball, those go down as losses this season. Is that true in basketball?

In volleyball, those go down as losses this season. Is that true in basketball?

Volleyball forfeits in the Big Ten are counted as losses in the Big Ten Standings only. Outside the Big Ten I believe they are treated as cancelled matches.

I'm assuming the same is true in basketball. So, the Drake game and the Cancun games would just be cancelled games.

IUPUI is also going through conference forfeits:

INDIANAPOLIS - For the second time this week, the IUPUI women's basketball team will be unable to compete due to COVID-19 implications. Due to positive cases within the program's tier one individuals, the Jaguars are unable to travel to Fort Wayne on Saturday (Nov. 20) for a scheduled matchup with Purdue Fort Wayne.

Per League regulations vetted by multiple membership groups and approved by the Horizon League Council, the contest will be considered a forfeit. The game is canceled and will not be rescheduled.

IUPUI, which recently climbed to No. 10 in the most recent Mid-Major Top 25, is scheduled to play at Southern Illinois on Wednesday, Nov. 24 at 1:00 p.m.

Whalen wins in West Lafayette.

Erin Whalen that is. The 6'1" wing player for the Dayton Flyers (3-1) scored 26 points and gathered 8 rebounds leading Dayton to a 78-62 victory over Purdue (3-1).

Else where in the B1G, a struggling Michigan State lost two games in NYC.

On Sunday, the Spartans were defeated by the Fordham Rams (3-1) 71-68.

Today, the Spartans (4-2) were dropped by St Francis (Brooklyn) (2-3) 66-63. Nia Clouden scored 22 points against Fordham and 21 versus St. Francis.

Michigan had previously defeated St Francis 82-46.

A follow up to "the Badgers are really, really bad". Chicago State broke a 27 game losing streak by defeating Wisconsin in Madison.

In top ten match-ups

NC State (5-1) defeated Maryland (6-1) 78-60.

Stanford (4-1) defeated Indiana (4-1) 69-66.

what happened to Maryland, I had them as my sleeper to win it all.

"Lack of depth" sez Brenda.

The deck was stacked against No. 2 Maryland women’s basketball from the opening tip against No. 5 NC State. Sophomore guard Diamond Miller, who traveled with the team, did not play due to continued knee discomfort, which has kept her out for a majority of the season.

Neither graduate guard Katie Benzan, the team’s top three-point shooter, nor junior guard/forward Faith Masonius, the Terps’ best zone defender and vital depth piece, traveled to the Bahamas due to illness.

NC State was ahead by 10 points after the first half and went into the locker room at halftime up by 22. The gap proved too much for Maryland to surmount, and the Terps picked up their first loss of the season.

“Through the first half, they punched first, they were very, very aggressive,” head coach Brenda Frese said after the game. “I think it put us on our heels.”

Here are several takeaways from the matchup with the Wolfpack.

Lack of depth unraveled the Terps​

Uncontrollable circumstances meant that Maryland had just seven healthy players, and late-game cramping from junior guard Ashley Owusu forced Frese to turn to the few players she had available.

Sophomore guard Taisiya Kozlova, who has been used sparingly to start the season, logged a career-high 24 minutes against NC State.

But despite all the adversity Maryland faced, the team showed resiliency in the face of extreme shorthandedness.

“Obviously, for us to come in here without five players and two that are starters for us,” Frese said, “I love the fact, given what we didn’t have, of just the fight that we had in the second half.”

what happened to Maryland, I had them as my sleeper to win it all.
Diamond Miller hurt her knee this summer while playing for team USA, seems pretty worrisome it hasnt got better. Sounds like Benzen and Masonius have covid.

Double take time. Purdue (4-2) went scoreless in the 2nd quarter, gave up a 27-0 run and still defeated 17/22 Florida State (5-2) 66-61. Yes, the Boilers made a lot of three's (12).

For the first time since the 2018-19 season, the Purdue women's basketball team knocked off a ranked opponent. The Boilermakers closed out the St. Pete Showcase with a 66-61 over No. 17/22 Florida State for a gritty and hard-fought victory.

In a game defined by runs, Purdue (5-2) went on three runs of seven points or more and overcame a 27-0 run by Florida State (4-2).

The Boilermakers shot 40.3% from the field and connected on 12 3-pointers, good for sixth most in program history. Purdue's 33 triple attempts broke a nearly 28-year record, set against Florida A&M on Dec. 3, 1994.

Top Bottom