B1G Media Deal: 7 Years, $1.2 Billion

I am fine with all of this excepting the possibility that NBC will show some games on its Peacock network and make me subscribe to that APP to see them.
From what I have seen by watching the ads that NBC runs showing what shows they feature on Peacock it seems the channel is aimed at the PWTs of the nation.

Congratulations Kevin Warren. That deal doesn't happen without you.

His knowledge of the NFL media landscape, selling timeslots, multiple networks, etc. made that deal happen.

This is huge for the Big Ten. With three major networks and cable channels, there will be massive cross promotion among those networks. They'll also be able to heavily promote Big Ten games during NFL broadcasts.

This contract and the media exposure it will bring definitely turns the Big Ten into the premiere conference in America. It's not even close.

Less than the ~1.5B some pundits had guessed or hoped for but not too bad. The current deal is roughly $31M/y per school IIRC. The question is how that money will be allocated in say, five years. Get out your crystal balls.

So it says 7 years ... but is that actually only 6 "seasons" or school years?

Starts in 2024(-2025) and it says it goes through 2029-2030. The 2024-2029 football seasons is only six. Wonder if they're counting 2024-2030 as 7 years, but it's really six.

$7B/6 is 1+1/6 $Billion per year, meaning Fox/FS1/BTN paid $466.67M per year if CBS and NBC paid $350M per year.

And $1.167B per year over 16 schools is roughly $72.9M per year per school.

So it says 7 years ... but is that actually only 6 "seasons" or school years?

Starts in 2024(-2025) and it says it goes through 2029-2030. The 2024-2029 football seasons is only six. Wonder if they're counting 2024-2030 as 7 years, but it's really six.

$7B/6 is 1+1/6 $Billion per year, meaning Fox/FS1/BTN paid $466.67M per year if CBS and NBC paid $350M per year.

And $1.167B per year over 16 schools is roughly $72.9M per year per school.
It starts in 2023. There just won't be a lot of games on CBS in 2023 because they also still have their deal with the SEC for that season.

The Big Ten on Thursday announced a new seven-year media rights deal with CBS, Fox and NBC that begins July 1, 2023, and runs through the 2029-30 season.

It starts in 2023. There just won't be a lot of games on CBS in 2023 because they also still have their deal with the SEC for that season.
That can't be right -- USC and UCLA don't join until 2024.

Unless that first year will have lower value?

OK, fair enough. I'm wrong then and it does start in 2023, with reduced content on CBS.

No ESPN in 2023, then? I thought our contract with them went through 2024?

Plus the $10-20M (whatever it works out to) adder for all other sources of revenue the Big Ten gets (CFP, Bowl games, March Madness, etc.).

Would think each school is looking at getting at least $80-90M per year starting in 2024?

Big Saturday check out the double header Michigan vs Ohio St at noon followed by Penn St at Wisconsin at 3pm......Minnesota vs Rutgers also on Peacock at 11pm ha In all seriousness this is a great deal, I feel like we will get stuck with more Peacock games than we would like but I guess is what it is. There is really 0 reason every sports program at the U doesnt elevate in a big way, they certainly cant complain about lack of money.

I am fine with all of this excepting the possibility that NBC will show some games on its Peacock network and make me subscribe to that APP to see them.
From what I have seen by watching the ads that NBC runs showing what shows they feature on Peacock it seems the channel is aimed at the PWTs of the nation.
Peacock comes free with Comcast. Relatively cheap ($4.99 a month) compared to other streaming services. You could also just subscribe for the college football season.

Kevin Warren proving to be quite the homerun hire.

What sports will the U be bringing back with this windfall?

I hope part of the deal requires a set minimum to be invested in football.

For people worried about being on Peacock, how about win the West this year and continue our upward trajectory and be a regular in the featured BigTen games of the week?!!

There will be (about) one game on Peacock every other year. Notre Dame already plays one game on Peacock every year.

This is only enough games to make sure that every Big Ten fan base knows what Peacock is, and knows how to use it so that barriers to steaming other content on Peacock are reduced and you will watch more Olympics, etc.

Peacock comes free with Comcast. Relatively cheap ($4.99 a month) compared to other streaming services. You could also just subscribe for the college football season.

It's the best network app out there for sports that I've used. It does require a streaming device if you don't have Xfinity, but those are cheap and most already have at least one.

Does this mean no more Beth Mowins calling the games? Talk about ruining my weekend.
Mowins did the damn Raiders-Vikings game on TV for the local Vegas feed last Sunday with Millen. Ugggghhhh..... She's the Raiders play-by-play

There will be (about) one game on Peacock every other year. Notre Dame already plays one game on Peacock every year.

This is only enough games to make sure that every Big Ten fan base knows what Peacock is, and knows how to use it so that barriers to steaming other content on Peacock are reduced and you will watch more Olympics, etc.
NBC also uses USA for a lot of their old NBC sports channel content. Wonder if USA channel will carry some Big 10 games.

What sports will the U be bringing back with this windfall?

I hope part of the deal requires a set minimum to be invested in football.
Men's Soccer and Women's rugby.

Top Bottom