B1G Media Days Schedule

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
WEDNESDAY, JULY 26
PRESS CONFERENCE SCHEDULE (ALL TIMES ET)
Coaches address media with opening statement, Q&A Event Level

10:30 – 11 a.m.Tony Petitti, Big Ten Commissioner
11:00 – 11:15 a.m.Bret Bielema, Illinois
11:15 – 11:30 a.m.Greg Schiano, Rutgers
11:30 – 11:45 a.m.Mel Tucker, Michigan State
11:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.David Braun, Northwestern
12:00 – 12:15 p.m.James Franklin, Penn State
12:15 – 12:30 p.m.Kirk Ferentz, Iowa
12:30 – 12:45 p.m.Ryan Day, Ohio State

THURSDAY, JULY 27
PRESS CONFERENCE SCHEDULE (ALL TIMES ET)
Coaches address media with opening statement, Q&A Event Level

11:00 – 11:15 a.m.Tom Allen, Indiana
11:15 – 11:30 a.m.Michael Locksley, Maryland
11:30 – 11:45 a.m.P.J. Fleck, Minnesota
11:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.Ryan Walters, Purdue
12:00 – 12:15 p.m.Matt Rhule, Nebraska
12:15 – 12:30 p.m.Luke Fickell, Wisconsin
12:30 – 12:45 p.m.Jim Harbaugh, Michigan

I had to quick google Ryan Walters and he wasn't even on the first google search page.
Wow! Could this be the Purdue version of Tim Brewster? Not a very impressive resume, however Purdue is not a very impressive program. Good luck.

Also interesting is Northwestern's David Braun. It already sounds like the vultures are circling (re. pumped up resume).

Fortunately, we'll catch a break in our tough schedule with both of these schools.

It will be interesting to hear from Petitti. Have to think there will be a question or two on expansion - whether to the East or West. one good question would be: does the TV deal guarantee a full share if Notre Dame joins the B1G?

on the coaches, yeah, I don't think attending Winona State has prepared Braun for what he's going to face. 50/50 he opens with "I will only be taking questions about football" and refers any question about hazing, etc to the AD and administration.

Wow! Could this be the Purdue version of Tim Brewster? Not a very impressive resume, however Purdue is not a very impressive program. Good luck.

Also interesting is Northwestern's David Braun. It already sounds like the vultures are circling (re. pumped up resume).

Fortunately, we'll catch a break in our tough schedule with both of these schools.
Could be, but Walters at least has shown to be a successful DC. Brewster was never more than a position coach.

It will be interesting to hear from Petitti. Have to think there will be a question or two on expansion - whether to the East or West. one good question would be: does the TV deal guarantee a full share if Notre Dame joins the B1G?

on the coaches, yeah, I don't think attending Winona State has prepared Braun for what he's going to face. 50/50 he opens with "I will only be taking questions about football" and refers any question about hazing, etc to the AD and administration.
If I’m Braun I say that hazing is unacceptable, and that I don’t have anything to say about it.

Beyond that he isn’t even involved in any new investigations and it’s up to Northwestern legal… administration to deal with/ talk about.

By design the HC shouldn’t be involved at this point.

Should be a good day for Fleck. He digs all this while the opposing coaches squirm at his comments.

Should be a good day for Fleck. He digs all this while the opposing coaches squirm at his comments.
I think the old crusty coaches might squirm, the coach's who have a bit wider point of view know PJ really isn't all that different ...

I think the old crusty coaches might squirm, the coach's who have a bit wider point of view know PJ really isn't all that different ...
And at this point, he's one of the longest tenured in the conference too. Only Ferentz would qualify as old crusty but then he wouldn't squirm either.

And at this point, he's one of the longest tenured in the conference too. Only Ferentz would qualify as old crusty but then he wouldn't squirm either.
Kirk and his son seem like very “old man yells at cloud” types…

I think he is tied for 4th in terms of tenure

1) Ferentz
2) Franklin
3) harbaugh
4) fleck/Allen

That’s a quick think about it, I may be wrong

watched Pettiti do his opening presser. seemed like he was trying to keep everything pretty bland and non-confrontational.

Said the schools in the B1G are not interested in more expansion at this time - focus is on integrating USC and UCLA into the conference. mentioned FB schedule - said working on plans for scheduling in other sports.

talked about NIL. drew distinction between original intent of NIL and what he called 'pay for play' NIL. said he has met with members of Congress and supports national NIL legislation.

asked about hazing - said that is up to the individual schools to monitor. the B1G will not do a separate investigation into Northwestern while they wait for NW to conduct its own investigation.

also caught some of Bielema and Schiano's pressers. Bielema talked about adding Leonhard as an analyst - but he will not be a game-day coach. Schiano mentioned hiring of Ciarrocca as OC and Harasymiak as DC.

watched Fleck's press segment at B1G Media Days.

Opening statement - talked a little bit about the players who graduated and moved to the NFL. Talked about number of Academic All-Americans. Noted strong schedule - presented to team as an opportunity. talked about mix of experience and newcomers. Said team needs to be poised. to get the message of "poise" across, the coaches have been playing music by the band "Poison" in the weight room. Fleck said the players' council of team leaders came back and said - we get the point - can we have less Poison in the weight room?

Fleck talked about the three players who came with him - Crab, Spann-Ford and Nubin. Combined 18 seasons with the program. called Nubin one of the best Safeties in the country. shared anecdotes about each player - Spann-Ford's mother asked him "what does my son need to do to get an offer from you?"

due to time constraints, only asked 3 questions by the media.
#1- opening season with Nebraska on a Thursday night. Fleck said knows Rhule from his days at West Michigan. great atmosphere to open with a conference game.

#2 - allegations in recent story. called them "baseless." said the players making allegations have been dismissed from program. basically mirrored his comments in ESPN story about the allegations.

#3 - are you pleased with new schedule format- how important is it to maintain rivalries? Fleck said it's important to maintain rivalries, and he really likes the new format.

watched Fleck's press segment at B1G Media Days.

Opening statement - talked a little bit about the players who graduated and moved to the NFL. Talked about number of Academic All-Americans. Noted strong schedule - presented to team as an opportunity. talked about mix of experience and newcomers. Said team needs to be poised. to get the message of "poise" across, the coaches have been playing music by the band "Poison" in the weight room. Fleck said the players' council of team leaders came back and said - we get the point - can we have less Poison in the weight room?

Fleck talked about the three players who came with him - Crab, Spann-Ford and Nubin. Combined 18 seasons with the program. called Nubin one of the best Safeties in the country. shared anecdotes about each player - Spann-Ford's mother asked him "what does my son need to do to get an offer from you?"

due to time constraints, only asked 3 questions by the media.
#1- opening season with Nebraska on a Thursday night. Fleck said knows Rhule from his days at West Michigan. great atmosphere to open with a conference game.

#2 - allegations in recent story. called them "baseless." said the players making allegations have been dismissed from program. basically mirrored his comments in ESPN story about the allegations.

#3 - are you pleased with new schedule format- how important is it to maintain rivalries? Fleck said it's important to maintain rivalries, and he really likes the new format.
Fleck is so good at opening statements he always faces the fewest questions.

Top Bottom