B1G Match 20: Gophers host Nebraska (11-25-23)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
The regular season finale features Minnesota, which has swept its last three matches, versus Nebraska, which was swept in Madison

Neb swept by Wisc tonight in Madison.

No chance they’ll let the Gophs win the regular season finale.

Would be nice to make it competitive. Give fans some hope of making it out wherever they get sent for the first two rounds.

Well this match is going as expected. Nebraska much too tough for the Gophers. The really sad thing is they are the #1 team in the nation with no seniors and 4 freshman starting!

The Gopher goal should be to work our way back up to where Purdue and Penn State are, fighting for third in the conference.

Those fans that have hopes that we can compete against Nebraska and Wisconsin are deluding themselves.

Wow! We hung in there and won the third set. Persistence pays off.

Good match, good fight. The 3rd and 4th set were great. Nebraska is a level better than the Gophers; however, the Gophers are much better than a 43 RPI. I hope the selection committee rewards the Gophers for being a strong team now and doesn't penalize them greatly for the first part of the season.

If we had played anywhere near the level that we played tonight, we would've won so many more matches. You clean up the errors and this match is going five.

Good match, good fight. The 3rd and 4th set were great. Nebraska is a level better than the Gophers; however, the Gophers are much better than a 43 RPI. I hope the selection committee rewards the Gophers for being a strong team now and doesn't penalize them greatly for the first part of the season.
On the figstats rankings that include the bonuses, the Gophers have moved up to #40 after the Nebraska loss. That's going to get them in the tournament.

As Maturi Pavilion heaved, as the Gophers volleyball team sent a sold-out crowd into a frenzy, one simple question was answered: Minnesota can compete against the best teams in the country.

That the Gophers lost their regular-season finale to No. 1 Nebraska 25-19, 25-18, 21-25, 25-23, leaves another question unanswered: Will they get to try again in the NCAA tournament next week?

It would seem they have done enough — winning 10 of their final 14 matches to finish fifth in the Big Ten, but it will depend on what the NCAA selection committee decides ahead of Sunday's 5 p.m. announcement of the field of 64.

"They're ready, should they get the opportunity," Gophers coach Keegan Cook said. "They're ready to compete in any venue against any team."

Nebraska put the finishing touches on a dominant regular season, its only loss coming Friday at Wisconsin. The Big Ten champion Cornhuskers are undeniably boisterous and confident with a swirling defense that is unafraid of any slip in play..

We are playing so much better and let's hope that continues, if given the opportunity.

The biggest difference in that match was SETTING. I suggest to rewatch the match on YouTube and try to focus on the NATURAL FORM an incredible FRESHMAN playing for Nebraska has. Riley Bergen had her pins terminating and is the REAL DEAL.

A huge huge huge shoutout to Murr. Will we be able to convince somebody else to come to Minnesota to replace her? I sure hope so because I still feel Z is a ways off and will remain a DS for us next season.

If we had played anywhere near the level that we played tonight, we would've won so many more matches. You clean up the errors and this match is going five.
That and adding Z to the defense has helped us become more cohesive. Also, Tayla is playing some better D and our blocking has improved.

The main point is we are playing better and let's hope we can get the opportunity to continue to do that and win maybe a match or two in the Post Season. I always feel better teams can push you to play your best.

Top Bottom