B1G Game 8: Gophers Visit Michigan State (1-23-22)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
THE VANISHING SPARTANS

Last season, on December 9th, Michigan State and Minnesota kicked off Big Ten play in Williams Arena. MSU converted a 20-11 first quarter lead into a Spartan 81-68 victory. Of the eleven Spartans playing in that game, only three are available for this Sunday’s showdown. Transfers and injuries have taken a toll on Michigan State’s roster.

The first three to leave were freshman forward Kendall Bostic, Junior guard Janai Crooms and senior center Lauren Rewers. Bostic is now a starter at Illinois, Crooms, who had transferred to MSU from Ohio State, is now the leading scorer at Providence and Rewers, who had transferred to MSU from Hawaii, appeared in three games at Grand Canyon before ghosting away. Crooms was the biggest loss. She started 12 games for the Spartans and was third in assists while averaging 5.1 points in 20+ minutes.

Next, during the preseason, Michigan State lost two starters to season ending non-contact injuries. 6’1” senior forward Tory Ozment suffered an ACL tear. And 6’2” junior guard Julia Ayrault tore a Lisfranc ligament in her foot. Last season, Ayrault averaged 9 points per game and Ozment 7 points and 3.4 rebounds.

Injuries have plagued the Spartans the last two season’s so head coach Suzy Merchant had some experience addressing the problems:

“Last year, we did this as well, so it's not new to us, but we play more forward/guard-like creatures and a little more small ball anyway, so we've been able to play different kids at that typical four spot,” Merchant said. “It's not a power four for us, it's never really has been. Even Julia at that spot was more face-up than post-up.”

Then, in December, starting guard Alyza Winston and her 12 points and 27 minutes per game entered the portal and exited to Mississippi State before the Spartans faced Illinois. Merchant’s response was:

“We’ll be alright.”

Freshman DeeDee Hagemann replaced Winston in the next game and delivered 8 points and 8 assists in 34 minutes as MSU defeated the Illini 75-60. Former Spartan Kendall Bostic contributed 4 points, 8 rebounds and 4 assists in 28 minutes for Illinois.

The most recent loss was junior guard Moira Joiner who is out for the season with an undisclosed injury. Joiner had averaged 20.8 minutes in 4 Big Ten games with 2 starts.

The eighth player not available this season was Mardrekia Cook. She left the Spartans the old-fashioned way-graduation.

The three returnees from last season’s Gopher game box score are Nia Clouden, Taiyier Parks and Laurel Jacqmain. In that game, Clouden scored 25 points in 32 minutes and Parks had 4 points in 15 minutes. Jacqmain made a token appearance playing 1 minute with 0 points.

On the other bench, Minnesota played nine players. The starters were Hubbard with 17 points, Powell 16, Sissoko 10, Scalia 9 and Sconiers 9. Off the bench Smith contributed 6 points, Strande 1, Cumming 0 and Hedman 0. Of those players, Cumming and Hedman have not appeared in a Big Ten game this season. Strande has played in one conference game for six minutes. And Sconiers saw the court late in the Iowa fiasco. Still, Minnesota has four of five starters still available this season. Minnesota won the returning veteran’s count.

Last season, the Spartans finished 8-7 in conference play before defeating Penn State and Indiana in the Big Ten tournament. Even though they fell to Iowa, it was a strong enough effort to earn an NCAA tournament bid. MSU made the bubble in San Antonio where they were sent home by Iowa State 75-79.

SPAWNING THIS SEASON’S LINEUP

Despite all the goings, Suzy Merchant kept fitting pieces to the puzzle. The Spartans received some immediate help from the portal when former Boilermaker swing player Tamara Farquhar decided on East Lansing. At the time, Farquhar seemed like a nice addition to MSU’s depth. Now, she’s a starter. In B1G play she’s averaging 8.7 points and 6.5 rebounds in 28 minutes of play. An asset on offense and defense, the 6’0” grad student leads the team in steals. Farquhar had 11 points and 9 rebounds in the loss to Purdue. She had a season high 16 rebounds versus FCGU.

Of course, it’s good to anchor your lineup with 5’8” senior Nia Clouden. Clouden scored 50 points in the double OT loss to FCGU. She’s a decent three-point shooter hitting .379% in conference play and an excellent free throw shooter at .875%. She made 15 of 17 free throws in the victory over Northwestern. Clouden is averaging 19 points per game in B1G play.

There are a couple of freshmen who’ve jumped into the breech.

Matilda Ekh arrived a year late because Covid travel restrictions delayed the Swede’s travel plans. Merchant was happy to see her. Ekh walked off the plane and into the Spartan’s starting lineup. The 6’0” swing player is second to Clouden in Big Ten play with 14.7 ppgs. Ekh’s offense is in the tradition of Michigan State’s roam the court knock down shooters. She scored 27 versus Ohio State and went 6-10 from three against Northwestern. Ekh hits .425 % from beyond the arc. Not surprisingly, she is one of three Spartans averaging over 35 minutes/game. The other two are Clouden and DeeDee Hagemann. Merchant needs this trio on the court. And pleased be aware that Ekh drew five charges against Northwestern

Like Ekh, another freshman, DeeDee Hagemann, has blossomed. Hagemann started the season as the “sixth player” and moved into the starting lineup when Winston bailed. She’s an aggressive defender and attacker who has also emerged as MSU’s assist leader with 6.6 per game in conference play. Hagemann missed the Nebraska game because of covid protocols and, like most of the team, played poorly when she returned versus Purdue. But she’s recovered and now brings that “sixth player” spark from the opening tip.

Merchant has created stability at the post with two 6’3” veterans.

6’3” grad Alisia Smith has started every big ten game. Smith spent three years at Penn State before transferring to Michigan State last season. Smith, now in her graduate year, has started all six conference games and was particularly effective in the win over Nebraska contributing 10 points and 7 rebounds. Smith averages 20 minutes per game.

6’3” junior Taiyier Parks also averages 20 minutes per game coming, generally, off the bench. Her double double against Nebraska (10 points and 12 rebounds) helped subdue the Huskers. She’s scored in double figures in her last four Big Ten games and has grabbed at least 8 rebounds in three of her last four games. Parks and Smith are combining for 18 points and 11.5 rebounds per game.

So, to sum up, Michigan State now has an eleven-player roster including five freshmen and one walk-on. And like Whalen, Suzy Merchant missed a game. Merchant was in Covid protocol for the Spartans last game versus Northwestern. She was cleared to come back for the now canceled Indiana game and is anxious for both her and her team to get back to the action.

Michigan State is 3-3 and needs to get on a roll just to get into the NCAA conversation. The Spartans have made the NCAA tournament in 4 of the last five years it was played. In the other season they were in the WNIT. The good news for Spartan hopes is that they looking more organized as this unpredictable season staggers on. Things may actually turn out "Alright".

MICHIGAN STATE BIG TEN RECORD (3-3):

Wins:
Illinois 75-60, Nebraska 72-69, Northwestern 65-46

Losses: @ Iowa 61-88, Purdue 59-69 and @ Ohio State 83-89

Nia Clouden Last Six Big Ten Games:

TeamPtsRebAsstMinFoul
Iowa1852342
Illinois1734382
Nebraska3256364
Purdue741393
Ohio State2132383
Northwestern1854342

Matilda Ekh Last Six Big Ten Games:

TeamPtsRebAsstMinFoul
Iowa343292
Illinois2033361
Nebraska1261392
Purdue811363
Ohio State2724343
Northwestern1814372

Probable Starters:

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
5’8”GSrNia Clouden36.719.04.2
6’0”G/FFrMatilda Ekh35.214.72.8
6’0”FGTamara Farquhar28.08.76.5
5’7”GFrDeeDee Hagemann35.06.83.4
6’3”FGAlisia Smith20.08.34.3

Others:

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
6’3”FJrTaiyier Parks21.09.77.2
6’1”FJrJayla James6.80.51.0
5’8”GGLaurel Jacqmain4.80.00.8

Coach Whalen on the hot seat and rightfully so. I am anxious and curious to see how this team responds to the Iowa debacle. If they can pull out the victory, she hasn’t lost the team, if they show up like they did against Iowa might be another story. I wish there would be more transparency in regards to the roster. We don’t need to be up in everyone’s business but a simple not available to play would suffice. With the current starters and role players struggling it would be nice to know why other players are not given a shot.

Coach Whalen on the hot seat and rightfully so. I am anxious and curious to see how this team responds to the Iowa debacle. If they can pull out the victory, she hasn’t lost the team, if they show up like they did against Iowa might be another story. I wish there would be more transparency in regards to the roster. We don’t need to be up in everyone’s business but a simple not available to play would suffice. With the current starters and role players struggling it would be nice to know why other players are not given a shot.
not on the heat seat whatsoever with the recruiting class she has coming in next season.. 10th in the Nation.. #1 in the Big Ten..

how long did Pitino get with the men's team when he couldn't get a single Minnesota recruit..

Five threes for Scalia from deep and deeper. 28-25 Gophers with 4:48 remaining in second quarter. Rose came off the bench but picked up two quick fouls anyway.

Can anybody explain why we play a 3-2 zone on defense, that means bailey or Kayla or Laura or Rose has to defend the corner 3, and if they do they aren't available to rebound, it's just another bizarre coaching call that doesn't put our players in a position to have success

Scalia finishes the half with 19. Ekh hits a buzzer beater three off a Gopher turnover making the score 34-30 Gophers heading to the third quarter.

Unfortunate turnover at the end, Scalia is doing all she can offensivel, just need other players to start hitting shots.

Silly turnovers in the third, hurried or telegraphic passes, nothing MSU is doing. You’re playing with the lead, stay composed

Clouden comes back late with 14 fourth quarter points and the Spartans prevail 74-71. Winters hit a tough three pointer to close within one at 72-71; but not enough.

Powell really struggled in the 4th, Gophers had some good shots to take the lead or tie, Sissoko missed a wide open layup, Powell missed ft, Winters missed a 3, and Scalia missed a tough runner but not a bad look.

Powell cannot hit on her layups as well. Difference in the game they have Clouden and we don’t. Our offense is based on hitting the 3, if we’re not hitting them we’re in trouble. Need a more dynamic point guard to orchestrate the offense better.

4 missed FT's ...2 bench points... Sara tried her best but it seemed like nobody else could do much.. Winters did have 17 (14 in the 2nd half) should have left LBK in there we seem to play with more effort and hustle when she is out there..

At least we fought, we had to many unforced turnovers. At least the coaches tried a zone, and went to man to man late. Next game

Hope the two guards coming in next year can take away some minutes from Powell. She's been brutal lately.

4 missed FT's ...2 bench points... Sara tried her best but it seemed like nobody else could do much.. Winters did have 17 (14 in the 2nd half) should have left LBK in there we seem to play with more effort and hustle when she is out there..
LBK is limited athletically, but this is why there are good mid major teams, they can be smarter then the athletic players.

Hope the two guards coming in next year can take away some minutes from Powell. She's been brutal lately.
The Borowicz injury has hurt the team much more than I expected. Smith isnt really a pg either so we kinda have to live or die with Powell.

Why is Powell taking 15 shots (only made 2). Glad she’s a senior next year and hopefully someone can take her spot next year.

Many of us have expressed our concerns about the coaching of this team. The PG position is so vital to the success of the team and I always see coach Whalen spending time with JP @ every time out and when she takes her out of the game. This certainly is a position she knows well and yet the team is not getting what they need to be successful from our PG.

Whalen needs to get it done next year with her big recruiting class, otherwise she needs to go.

Suzy Merchant Post-Game Quotes:

Michigan State Head Coach Suzy Merchant
About consistency and the play in the fourth quarter...
Some of it is just not their fault to be honest, consistency just depends on, we have had so many players in and out. I think too, trying to figure out while people aren't playing well or foul trouble do, we go big and then move Tamara to the three or do we play another guard. We are trying to figure that out too, like if one of our guards isn't always scoring or handing the situation defensively or offensively like we think they need to, got sit them do we go big or not? But I will give Minnesota a lot of credit. I think that Lindsey did a great job. They did not play very well at their last game at home against Iowa, got beat pretty good. I would say teams can go one of two ways, you either implode and kind of quit and get discouraged or you fight, and I think that team had a lot of fight in them today. I thought they out hustled us in a lot of situations, but I thought we made some plays down the stretch for sure.

About defensive end of the ball...
That was a real sore spot for us, we gave up way too many offensive rebounds. We just, our guards aren't pursuing the ball at all especially on long shots. They kind of just stand there and so those are lose balls and if you don't go get it the other team is going to. So we just have to continue to get better at that. I thought we did a, there was times when we were really good and then there were times when we weren't. This whole game I thought there were a few possessions where I felt like we battled and perused the ball on the rebound, other times we just expected someone else to get it. Trust me, every huddle, every break that's all we talked about was we have to peruse the ball, we have to box out but we have to go get it. Credit them I thought a lot of things went their way. A lot of balls that we should have got, fumbled it, ended up in the jump ball, they ended up getting the ball back. We have to create our own breaks and to me that was very disappointing for sure.

About Nia and what she did in the fourth quarter...
I thought the whole second half I thought she cam out the second half with a different mindset. She was, her three ball was dropping she was getting to the rim, to the free throw line. We always want the ball in her hands late. I wouldn't say it bothered us because we were in the same offense and Northwestern plays nothing but zone but fir whatever reason we weren't playing the ball. I though Nia was a big part of sharing the ball in the second half and moving it and kicking of trading and kicking and creating for other people. So on top of her ability to take over like you said I also thought she did a really good job of, she knew when it was her turn to take a shot and when it was her turn to create for other people. I thought defensively she was really good today too.

About the three point shot and how Nia has improved...
She has been doing that and playing a ton of minutes but at this level if you want to play pro you cant be predictable, you need to be a three level scorer. I think that not a knock on Nia peruse that she couldn't shoot it from the arc I think right now, between last year and this year she has proven she put the work in. Wethers she gets a little flip hand off she can hit it, whether its inside out, she comes off balls screens now and can hit it a little bit. So I think the league is really the head coaches of the WNBA are watching that part of her game and they, there's no reason for her to not be a top draft pick at this point. Shes such a slasher but can she knock it down. But watching her the last couple seasons she has proved people wrong that way.

About Matilda and her constant ability...
Yeah it's interesting because Nia is a slasher that learned to shoot it where Matilda is a shooter who has learned at this level you have to be able to put it on the floor too you cant just be a solid three point shooter. I think she showed today she had pull up, she got to the rim, she penetrated and kicked. So as good of a job as she did knocking it down and taking those shots and transitioning the offense I think she also recognizes that she needs to be a triple, we call them three level scorers. She has been doing that, I think she's been doing a really good job of that. I even thought she has some really good defensive segments there where she was walling up and her size bothered them a little bit. Couple big defensive rebounds down the stretch. Those two are kind of interesting you know ones a slasher that learned to shoot the others a shooter that's learning how to put it on the floor a little bit so those two together are a nice combination for us. Too see it as a freshman, Dede and her have to play as freshman. That's serious minutes in big time gems at crucial times and to be perform or hit free throw, make a play, get a stop, get a rebound, that's going to pay dividends down the line for both of them.

About the leadership that Nia has...
I think Nia's confidence has kind of carried over to everybody, she has that calm, she's the same as the first play of the game to the last play of the game. That kid doesn't really she's steady. I think Matilda is naturally like that too but it is kind of fun to watch her a little bit build off of Nia's confidence. I think our post play did a really good job. I felt like Ty had some big plays in the home stretch whether getting herself to the free-throw line or just ducking in and getting a rebound. She was very good mobility wise as good of job as Matilda and Nia did I thought there was an ugly one with a lot of people down the stretch.

The Borowicz injury has hurt the team much more than I expected. Smith isnt really a pg either so we kinda have to live or die with Powell.
I agree. They especially miss the energy that Borowicz has.

Top Bottom