B1G Game 7: Gophers Host Iowa (1/20/22)

I love LW and not ready to give up on her coaching yet, especially with the class coming in next year. But man it is concerning that they just quit on her in the second half last night.

Maybe let Carly try being the head coach for a game and see what happens? I’m assuming the pregame and halftime talks are significantly different between the two coaches.

The Gophers guards are too short (5'6"-5'9") to guard taller and athletic guards like Caitlin Clark (6'0"). Smith, Hubbard, Scalia, Powell cannot guard her - especially Hubbard and Scalia. She gets them on her hip and there is nothing they can do and she scores at will (shoots over them or finishes at the rim). She was laughing on the court because it was so easy. Other than Marshall, Iowa's roster has nearly every player at 6'0 or taller. You cannot teach height. Recruit and play TALL, athletic guards that can run the floor.

I love LW and not ready to give up on her coaching yet, especially with the class coming in next year. But man it is concerning that they just quit on her in the second half last night.
I have been watching Whalen since her Hutch days and have been an ardent supporter. I have had season tickets for 20 years. I am also a homer and support all MN teams. I am now also very concerned about the lack of development, improvement and lack of intensity in her teams. I think she will get an opportunity to see if she can win with more talent on the team but the clock is ticking......

Next years class is make it or break it for Whalen. They need to produce immediately.

I have been watching Whalen since her Hutch days and have been an ardent supporter. I have had season tickets for 20 years. I am also a homer and support all MN teams. I am now also very concerned about the lack of development, improvement and lack of intensity in her teams. I think she will get an opportunity to see if she can win with more talent on the team but the clock is ticking......
I'm shocked and really dejected over this game. They showed no fight at all and the coach had no answer. Keep expecting each year that the Gopher women will be better but it doesn't happen. The Iowa game, good as they are, felt like a huge step backward. I sure hope not but Coyle might be 1-1 on his basketball hires.

The Gophers guards are too short (5'6"-5'9") to guard taller and athletic guards like Caitlin Clark (6'0"). Smith, Hubbard, Scalia, Powell cannot guard her - especially Hubbard and Scalia. She gets them on her hip and there is nothing they can do and she scores at will (shoots over them or finishes at the rim). She was laughing on the court because it was so easy. Other than Marshall, Iowa's roster has nearly every player at 6'0 or taller. You cannot teach height. Recruit and play TALL, athletic guards that can run the floor.
I agree completely, I think they needed Sissoko or Winters on her. It was silly to watch Powell try to guard her. I don't know what the heck they were thinking.

Top Bottom