B1G Game 6: Gophers Host Iowa (1-9-20)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
The Conflagration Continues?

(Unfortunately, The Game is Probably the Least Important Thing About This Game)

The plug and play nature of the Hawkeyes used to perturb me. Now, I’ve come, slowly, to appreciate Lisa Bluder’s ability to continually conjure up a steady mix of inside power players and hot shooting guards. The Dean of B1G coaches has made NCAA appearances in 10 of the last 12 seasons. An eight season NCAA streak beginning in 2007-08 ended with two WNIT appearances. I thought maybe the magic was seeping away; but then along came Megan Gustafson and two more trips NCAA. After a choppy start, this season looks likely to add a third straight invitation to the Big Dance.

B1G Wins: Illinois 108-82, @ Northwestern 77-51, Maryland 66-61, and Indiana 91-85 in 2 OT.

B1G Losses: Nebraska 69-78.

A 9-2 non-conference record, including losses to Northern Iowa and Washington, gave way to a B1G season opening loss in Lincoln. Monika Czinano (Watertown-Mayer), this season’s inside power player, did her part battling the Husker’s Kate Cain. Czinano finished with 16 points and 17 rebounds in the 69-78 loss. Despite that effort, the main story was that the Hawkeyes shot a very un-Hawkeye like 36.8% from the floor and 30% (6-20) from three. They got good looks; but couldn’t knock ’em down.

In today’s B1G, nothing cures your shooting woes quicker than a home visit from Doctor Illini. In Carver Hawkeye, Iowa’s record setting 108-72 win over Illinois was fueled by 65% shooting (39-60) from the floor. And it’s not like Bluder’s Bunch was only shooting layups. The Hawkeyes were 13-26 from behind the arc. Kathleen Doyle led Iowa with 33 points which included going 9-9 from the free throw line. Czinano scored 16, Makenzie Meyer added 15 and Ollinger 12 points were supplemented by 14 rebounds. The 108 points were an Iowa record; the 65% shooting was not. The Hawkeyes shot 70% against North Carolina Central earlier this season. The shooting glow carried over to a 77-51 win in Evanston.

Maryland was next to visit Iowa City and the Terps left Carver Hawkeye strapped with their third straight loss to Iowa. A quick shooting start by the Hawkeyes including a 6-6 three point barrage set the Terps back on their heels early and helped Iowa to a 39-30 half time lead. Maryland recovered to tie the game at 54 with 3:29 remaining. Alexis Sevillian subsequently knocked down a three followed by a jump shot to open a five point Iowa lead. The Hawkeyes shot free throws the rest of the way going 7-8. It was a guard show for the Hawks. Doyle dropped 21, Meyer 20 and Sevillian 15. Czinano fouled out with 4 points, 2 rebounds in 16 minutes of play.

Topping off the Maryland win was a two overtime 91-85 victory over visiting Indiana. Czinano fouled out and in overtime the Hawkeyes went five out. It worked. During the broadcast the announcers were talking about the Hawkeyes run of centers. Besides Bluder much of the credit goes to assistant coach Jan Jensen. But two items which were cited were 1) recruiting players who play back to the basket and 2) getting them in a strength and conditioning program. Bluder knows how to develop post player; but that’s a conversation for another time.

Anyway, enough about this season's Hawkeyes: I’ve wondered from where Lisa Bluder gets her players. Her recruiting has always seemed focused on the upper Midwest especially including Minnesota (I remember an Hawkeye Sports article titled, “Land of 10,000 Hawkeyes”). I took a look at Iowa rosters starting with the 2010-11 season. That was a team including Minnesotans: Wahlin, Alexander, Taylor and Draxten.

Iowa's Recruiting

In the ten years between 2010-11 and 2019-20 Bluder has recruited 46 players (This includes transfers):

14 Players from Iowa: Hanson, Nesbit, Krei, Cermak, Printy, Rodgers, V Johnson, Till, Disterhoff, Schneden, Meyer, Ollinger, Cook, Meyer

9 from Minnesota: Wahline, Alexander, Taylor, Draxten, Doolittle, Peschel, Timmerman, Coley, Czinano

5 from Illinois: Considine, Dixon, Smith, Doyle, Martin

3 from Michigan: Thomas, Gustafson, Davis, Servillian

5 from Wisconsin: Logic, Mohns, Gustafson, Cera Warnock

3 from Indiana: Jennings, Sanders, Taiwo

2 from Ohio: Reynolds, Marshall

1 each from Missouri, Nebraska, N. Dakota, Spain, Canada: M Johnson, Kastanek, Stewart, Ramos, Buttenham

It’s a Midwest focus that continues with next season’s signings: 3 from Iowa: Caitlin Clark, Sharon Goodman and Shateah Wetering. And 1 from Minnesota: Lauren Jensen. It’s an effective recruiting philosophy giving the Hawkeyes solid year to year success; but not, so far, a chance to break into the upper echelon of women’s basketball.

Minnesota's Recruiting

Minnesota in the same time frame has recruited, including transfers, 52 players (the 2010-11 class included the first seven Minnesotans listed below):

19 from Minnesota: Buford, Dvorak, Loberg, B Mastey, Mastey, Noga, Voight, Banham, Hirt, Mullaney, Johnson, Bailey, Hedstrom, Starr, Wagner, Fernstrom, Bell, Tinjum, Scalia

4 from Michigan: T Bello, K Bello, Pitts, Powell

3 from Iowa: Kellogg, Ross, Cumming

After that Minnesota has 2 each from Texas, Wisconsin, Canada, Colorado, New York

1 Each from: Alabama, Illinois, Kansas, Indiana, Romania, Conn., Sweden, Ohio, Australia, Hungary, Virginia, Spain, Czech Republic, Utah, Belarus, France.

It’s a much wider net; but it also represents the recruiting of three head coaches so there are multiple philosophies represented. Next year’s signees include 2 from Wisconsin: Caroline Strande and Erin Hedman. And 1 from Ohio: Alexis Smith

Previous Games: I covered last season’s loss to the Hawkeyes in the Illini game thread; so I should add some optimism -especially after today. Iowa and Minnesota have split the last eight matchups. They’ve gone Win, Loss, Win, Loss, Win, Loss, Win, Loss-which means it’s our turn to WIN!

Probable Starters (B1G Stats):

HgtPosClPlayerMinPtsReb
5’9”GSrKathleen Doyle32.823.83.6
6’3”F/CSoMonika Czinano28,016.06.6
5’9”GSrMakenzie Meyer36.413.23.6
6’1”FSrAmanda Ollinger31.07.410.-
5’5”GRJrAlexis Sevillian27.46.01.6

The Bench (B1G Stats):

HgtPosClPlayerMinPtsReb
6’1”G/FFrMcKenna Warnock21.89.05.2
5’9”GFrGabbie Marshall15.23.41.6
5’10”GSoTomi Taino8.02.00.6
5’8”GFrMegan Meyer5.01.51.0
6’0”GRFrKate Martin4.30.00.8

Last edited:

Iggy, what prevents you from getting press credentials? You do a much better job in many ways than the local press in providing information about what's going on with this team and without the benefit of interviewing anyone.

Wow, great recruiting stats, lotta work in that.

I am #1 a Cyclone but Gophers are my #2 which makes me doubly interested in rival Iowa. Watched the Hawks gut out a 2OT win yesterday. The hate her if you're an opponent, love her if you're a Hawk, Kathleen Doyle missed a triple double by just one rebound and the center-not-named-Megan scored 23 points (although doesn't rebound much). The current year Hawks, less Megan G., are much better than I thought they would be. Solid coach and senior guards should have accounted for more than I gave them credit for at the start of the season.

Was in Ames to see them beat the Cyclones. They are really solid, especially come crunch time, guess that's the senior guards influence. I think the depleted squad Gophers are going to have a tough go of it Thursday.

Gustafson is from Wisconsin. I believe Minnesota recruited her. Iowa also had another player from Wisconsin. Brea Cera who now plays for UW-Milwaukee.

Gustafson is from Wisconsin. I believe Minnesota recruited her. Iowa also had another player from Wisconsin. Brea Cera who now plays for UW-Milwaukee.

Thanks. I can't believe I got my upper peninsula geography screwed up. I'll adjust the numbers. Gustafson and Logic were pretty good gets out of Wisconsin.

Bre Cera does not appear on the 2018-17 historical roster; which is another issue. I'll add her in.

Hawkeye notes:

• Senior guard Kathleen Doyle was named the Naismith Women's Player of the Week, the Atlanta Tipoff Club on Jan. 14, following her performances against No. 12 Indiana (Jan. 12) and No. 16 Maryland (Jan. 9).
    [*]Doyle averaged 26 points, six rebounds, and six assists in the pair of upset wins.
    [*]Against the Hoosiers, Doyle challenged for a triple-double in the Hawkeyes' double-overtime win (91-85), posting 31 points, 10 assists, and nine rebounds.
    [*]In Iowa's win over Maryland, Doyle registered 21 points, three rebounds, and two assists, leading the Hawkeyes to their third consecutive win over the Terrapins.
    [*]Doyle is leading the Big Ten in assists (97) and assists per game (6.1). Nationally, Doyle ranks seventh and eighth in these categories, respectively.
    [*]Doyle ranks second in the conference and 15th in the country for free throws made (78) and ranks third for the Big Ten and 21st nationally in free throw attempts (100).
    [*]Doyle is among the top of the league in total points (290) and field goals made (95), ranking fourth.
    [*]

They’re playing two posts without even Bello being there, and it seems to be working out so far. Who da thunk?

They’re playing two posts without even Bello being there, and it seems to be working out so far. Who da thunk?
Havent had 2 posts in the game yet. Its either been Sconiers or Tomancova they havent seen the court together.

Didnt know what to expect this game but they came to play. Playing hard gettin turnovers and outrebounding Iowa so far. Good minutes from everyone if only Tomancova could make layups.

Last time Gophers had 8-point halftime lead vs Iowa they lost by 18, so I'm nervous.

Havent had 2 posts in the game yet. Its either been Sconiers or Tomancova they havent seen the court together.

Looks like you’re right. Their minutes added up to 20 in the first half.

Now Bello is back playing in the third quarter? Weird.

If Minnesota can win this game (and so far that’s looking good), it could go a long way to vindicating Whalen. Seems like the team is playing with more energy with good teamwork.

Junk defenses by iowa here, brunson masha or bello gonna have to come up big

Would be shocked not to see another lob into Czinano after this timeout.

well that sucks, divas gotta miss the 2nd ft there.

Gave up a few easy transition baskets as well with Iowa players leaking out early.

Such a promising game without Bello for 2.5 quarters only to see a familiar ending!

Late game execution has been so frustrating the last 2 years, too much dribble dribble desperation shots. Sorry I’m a fan Lindsay but that’s on coaching. When will it turn around grrr.....

This cant be a lot of fun for Whalen right now.....I would not be shocked if she walked away at the end of the year.

Top Bottom