B1G Game 4: Gophers @ Wisconsin (1/3/2021)

We look lost on offense. Letting them score too easy. Not good for the visitors

Wisconsin has scored about 20 pts on uncontested drives to the hoop for layups. I don't know if we've achieved that even once today.

They take a TO to draw up the last play. Please tell me Powell for 3 wasn’t it!

Gophers gotta be pissed right now. The Badgers have out scored us three straight quarters. Defense is about heart and effort. We gotta find that "Want to" factor. Somebody gotta step up.

Sissoku! Don't rush offbalance shots after the rebound!!!!!

Hopefully Scalias injury isnt too bad, we really needed her shooting in the 2nd half. This is a much needed win no matter how it looked at times.

Finally broke down n subscribed to BTN plus. Painful to watch our lack of dribble drive D. Hubbard saved us in OT. Spacing n shot selection need work but happy to get the W.

Hopefully Scalias injury isnt too bad, we really needed her shooting in the 2nd half. This is a much needed win no matter how it looked at times.
Really missed Scalia in the second half, too bad, she looked comfortable with her shot. Like her running the point. Like Smith on the floor too, need to design some scouting plays for her. Thank You Diva, look at you acting like a senior!

Badger Talk:
Head coach Jonathan Tsipis
"Hats off to Minnesota, they made a lot of plays in overtime, but when you shoot 56.2 percent from the field you should win ball games. And you hold someone else to 38 (percent). But, obviously they stretched the floor and hit some huge threes.

"I'm proud of (our team). There were a lot of times where we'd get it down to one of two possessions and (Minnesota) would hit a big shot and they just kept pecking away. We had to do it with some unconventional lineups at times but they kept working. I thought the two plays to force overtime were huge. We got the shot we wanted, Sydney (Hilliard) created something for Imani (Lewis) and then obviously the stop.

"Still a lot of Big Ten basketball to play and we've got to get ready because obviously Northwestern is a very good team and we're excited for another opportunity but we know that every single game in this league is going to be really difficult."

Sydney Hilliard
"I like the effort at the end of the game. That's what we wanted. But fixing the stuff in the first half, whether its turnovers or boxing out and getting rebounds we wouldn't have been in that position. But I'm really proud of our effort."

On what the comeback showed…
"It shows we have a lot of heart. We could have just given up in the second half towards the beginning, but we did a good job in the third quarter of cutting half the score down. I thought we fought hard until the end."

Julie Pospisilova
On her aggressiveness…

"I think it's really important for me to be aggressive on offense so we have more people to draw the defense in and they have to be more prepared to guard multiple players and not just one person.

"I learned that if I keep being aggressive eventually I'm going to get to the rim and score. It's really good to have Sydney or other players who can distribute the ball and get me into position where I can score or I can also distribute the ball.

Tsipis confirms his error:

In overtime, Wisconsin was trailing 82-20 with 24 seconds left when Badgers Head Coach Jonathan Tsipis called a timeout that he did not have. This led to made free throws on the other end for Minnesota.

"I've been doing this a long time and it's unacceptable for us to call a timeout when we don't have one, and that's not on our kids, that's us knowing that and that's obviously me."

Sara Scalia has gotten out to a slow start in this season, after an All-Big Ten Honorable Mention season last year as a freshman. Sunday against Wisconsin, the Stillwater, Minn. native showed her potential with a team-high 11 first-half points. Unfortunately, Scalia ran into a hard screen in the second half, forcing her out of the game completely.

“We will have to re-evaluate tomorrow and where she is at,” Gophers’ head coach Lindsay Whalen said following the game.

We'd all like to see more of this.
They found LBK in the post and the baseline a few other times, she missed a few shots in close but ended up 7-15 from the floor. She definitely is the best of our interior players (not count Sissoko as interior).

Wiscy is not a great team and there is still a lot to work on, particularly stopping the ball, but definitely saw progress out there today.

I thought Mershon had a couple of better stretches this game.
Very bummed about Scalia as I prefer her at the Point. I hope she is alright.
Did anyone notice if the other freshman were dressed for this game?

Top Bottom