B1G Game 4: Gophers host Ohio State (1-5-23)

I don't know... I think Mara Braun has some next steps to take present. A couple of her potentially lethal passes were bad, leading to loss of possession. I give her credit for the attempted stabs but went awry. She is not a point guard and yet she could be that lethal passer. She also seems hesitant or perhaps ineffective inside. Other teams glue a taller person on her and her guns have to stay in the holster on the perimeter. I don't know enough about getting to a different spot close for a score shot.

To be clear Braun had a good game with 4-6 field goal shooting, 3-7 3 points, 2 assists and 3 steals.

Most of that game Gophers had the winning plan and executed it. They will be ranked if they can play like that.

They foiled the historic Ohio State press. They moved the ball well until the ending not as well.

And I think Battle is really coming on. Battle was 6-9 on field goals and 2 assists. 4 fouls slowed her impact at the end.

Heyer had 15 points and 12 rebounds - a double double.

Rose had 14 points on 7-12 shooting. Missed some easy ones but the final percentage is good.

Only 16 turnovers.

The controversial penalties in the 4th changed the game dynamics.

The Gophers I thought were the better team except at the end when they missed some ones they should have made late and a few ugly drive shots, maybe because te Ohio State defense had stiffened.

I thought I walked past a very elite prospect at the game.

Last edited:

Argh, sorry to post again.

Lindsay Whalen out-coached Ohio State. It was a really good effort. I feel sad she did 't get the win.
Agree, team looked well prepared and for the most part handled OSU heralded press well. I also agree that this was one of their best efforts this season, too bad it was a loss. Should also be mentioned that Rose has put together a couple of good games.

Agree, team looked well prepared and for the most part handled OSU heralded press well. I also agree that this was one of their best efforts this season, too bad it was a loss. Should also be mentioned that Rose has put together a couple of good games.
Seems like Rose is slowing down, shes not just catching the ball and attacking immediately. When shes patient shes really good.

I was at the game. Mara was PISSED that they lost such that she was pounding the floor with her hands before the hand shaking line. Mallory looked to be wiping away tears. I hope a tough loss like this will fuel them throughout the tough games to come.

Argh, sorry to post again.

Lindsay Whalen out-coached Ohio State. It was a really good effort. I feel sad she did 't get the win.
Coaching can only get you so far, it's the players that have to execute and make the shot.

Random thoughts: Against OSU, I think we got a very good glimpse of the potential of this group against the #3 team in the country, an undefeated team. (Also that is missing two stars, a team without a true point guard, a team that is currently ranked higher than it should be.) I thought it was great to see this team's improvement against full-court pressure. They obviously learned something in the loss to Maryland. The Gophers were so effective against the press that OSU stopped pressing near the end of the game. The Gophers have also become a much better rebounding team since the start of the year. And their defense has improved, although still a long way to go. I liked that the Gophers actually tried to get some baskets in transition against OSU. From both Battle and Rose, we say spurts which show that both players can become outstanding players. And that's not to mention the double-double by Heyer, who, as I've said before, it sneaky good. Braun may still be this team's most talented player, although it seems she it often drawing opponents' top defenders and IMO she still disappears for stretches in the game. Katie B has also made major strides as she gets adjusted to the DI level. Czinano and Cayton with some major energy off the bench, although Cayton's T came at a really bad time.. Bottom line is that we should still not be grading this team on wins and losses. I'm more interested as to whether they can continue to improve. If so, they may be able to surprise a few of the upper tier teams in the BIG this year...and then if they can slam shut the transer portal window, they'll be very formidable next year in what might be the top conference in the country. Go Gophers!

I will say this, It was an extremely impressive game overall. This is a team we have seen have 20+ turnovers easily so yesterday seeing 16 total vs a team that is pressing and thrives off forcing turnovers was a huge improvement.

Ohio State also to me is HUGELY overrated. They are not the third best team in the country. Their center who hit 5 3-pointers won't be able to do that in clutch/big time games. Also lets me honest what turned in the 4th was the officials. McGuff had been riding the refs all game long and at times seems like the Male Kim Mulkey with his screaming and tantrum throwing. He needed the refs to reign in the Gopher pressure on his team with some cheap calls as well as letting his group get away from CLEAR contacts on shots by Gophers.

Continuing with McGuff, if he can act like a deranged nut bag on the sidelines and it was allowed, ignored or even bowed down to by the refs, then no way, shape or form should Mi'Cole have been given a technical unless she threatened the ref personally. That was a BS call that really changed the momentum.

The freshman and plucky Gophers had Ohio State and their Unhinged Coach realllllll worried for 30-32 minutes of the game.

I don't know... I think Mara Braun has some next steps to take present. A couple of her potentially lethal passes were bad, leading to loss of possession. I give her credit for the attempted stabs but went awry. She is not a point guard and yet she could be that lethal passer. She also seems hesitant or perhaps ineffective inside. Other teams glue a taller person on her and her guns have to stay in the holster on the perimeter. I don't know enough about getting to a different spot close for a score shot.

To be clear Braun had a good game with 4-6 field goal shooting, 3-7 3 points, 2 assists and 3 steals.

Most of that game Gophers had the winning plan and executed it. They will be ranked if they can play like that.

They foiled the historic Ohio State press. They moved the ball well until the ending not as well.

And I think Battle is really coming on. Battle was 6-9 on field goals and 2 assists. 4 fouls slowed her impact at the end.

Heyer had 15 points and 12 rebounds - a double double.

Rose had 14 points on 7-12 shooting. Missed some easy ones but the final percentage is good.

Only 16 turnovers.

The controversial penalties in the 4th changed the game dynamics.

The Gophers I thought were the better team except at the end when they missed some ones they should have made late and a few ugly drive shots, maybe because te Ohio State defense had stiffened.

I thought I walked past a very elite prospect at the game.
Who?

75E9DCBA-623F-476C-BDCF-C5618AC6DFBD.jpeg
It seems the girls are getting better. Not many witnesses, however.

Top Bottom