B1G Game 4: Gophers Host Northwestern (1-9-20)

In the third quarter Powell subbed in at the 3:57 mark. She committed turnovers at 3:46, 2:53 and 2:29. She had a steal at 2:24 but Pitts missed a layup and Powell left the game for good at 2:15.

In the fourth quarter, Pitts subbed out for good at 7:36 with the score 47-40. Scheid then hit a three to make it 50-40.

In the third quarter Powell subbed in at the 3:57 mark. She committed turnovers at 3:46, 2:53 and 2:29. She had a steal at 2:24 but Pitts missed a layup and Powell left the game for good at 2:15.

In the fourth quarter, Pitts subbed out for good at 7:36 with the score 47-40. Scheid then hit a three to make it 50-40.
Powell had 6 turnovers in 11 minutes, she deserved that benching.

Powell had 6 turnovers in 11 minutes, she deserved that benching.
Through the first 14 games of the season (and 282 minutes of playing time) Jasmine Powell earned a 44th place 2.14 assist-to-turnover ratio via 45 assists and 21 turnovers. In 11 minutes of playing time during the 15th game, she logged 1 assist and 6 turnovers, pushing her down to a 46/27 = 1.7 assist-to-turnover ratio. That’s good for 117th place. Ouch.

Pretty unbelievable that Pitts was benched for the last 7:36 of the game. Even though she wasn't at her best, I just don't understand not having your best shooter on the court in a tight game. There were several times where Pitts was, in fact, open on the perimeter and players appeared to not see her. Regardless, Pitts should have been back in the game in the final minutes.

Ball hogging leads to a big head & cockiness and that leads to a lot of mouth and attitude (shrugging away from your coach on TV ? )....

Ball hogging leads to a big head & cockiness and that leads to a lot of mouth and attitude (shrugging away from your coach on TV ? )....

Unless you know everything, you might not want to speak on this subject. A lot more went into that moment than anyone on a message board like this will realize. And ball hogging? Check the stats from last night. Even then, Pitts was benched when practically the whole team was gifting the ball back to NW. Even in her limited minutes, while being face-guarded by NW, Destiny had 11 points (second on the team), was 2-3 from 3, had 6 rebounds... ball hogging? Stop. Even then, I wish she'd hog the ball more--the rest of this team can't really score consistently.

In the end, what makes more sense: a student athlete who is adored by fans and her teammates all of a sudden has an attitude problem... or a second year head coach (who has never coached before) is in over her head in terms of relating to her student athletes?

Unless you know everything, you might not want to speak on this subject. A lot more went into that moment than anyone on a message board like this will realize. And ball hogging? Check the stats from last night. Even then, Pitts was benched when practically the whole team was gifting the ball back to NW. Even in her limited minutes, while being face-guarded by NW, Destiny had 11 points (second on the team), was 2-3 from 3, had 6 rebounds... ball hogging? Stop. Even then, I wish she'd hog the ball more--the rest of this team can't really score consistently.

In the end, what makes more sense: a student athlete who is adored by fans and her teammates all of a sudden has an attitude problem... or a second year head coach (who has never coached before) is in over her head in terms of relating to her student athletes?
(y) Ok..you must be Pitt's dad..the truth hurts

(y) Ok..you must be Pitt's dad..the truth hurts

Not her dad. But also not surprised that's what someone of your intellect would assume. Because you are the worst kind of person--someone who anonymously attacks a student athlete with some really personal stuff. Destiny Pitts is not making close to $500,000 to be on a team that doesn't have answers for the same Xs and Os they've seen for a year and a half...

So, sorry, I'm going to defend a kid from someone like you 100 out of 100 times. That's all this is about.

Here’s the Big Ten highlights, which are more balanced than Gopher highlights.

I will stand by that not playing Pitts the last 7+ minutes of the game was the wrong call. I'm not saying giving her a rest is bad or that Masha came in to try and stick on Scheid. But when it was under 3 minutes and they had made it within 2-4 points. it was time to put her back in. Northwestern was even able to put Scheid on Hubbard as she was the most consistent scoring option. With Taiye, Brunson and Masha all limited in scoring and NW could focus on Hubbard and Scalia. Multiple times in the last 3 minutes, gophers let shot clock got low as no one wanted to be the one to take the shot that Pitts would and could take. Masha may have played hard on defense, but her mistakes and complete lack of offensive option was a killer. NW at times literally left her wide open to stop guard penetration.

Also why in the last three games have they abandoned the pressing defense with taiye of the top of the press? is it really not worth a look the last 3 games? (all losses)

I did like seeing the Bellos together. I know K.Bello has her downfall but she has always played better when she is playing with Taiye also on the court. Yes she missed the wide open layup but she got the look from a great feed from taiye. Plus together Taiye was able to guard Scheid (who suddenly knew how to play after awful shooting vs Iowa). I don't think Scheid scoring should also go only on Pitts, the guards like Scalia, Hubbard and Powell too often switched with Destiny when they should of fought to get over the screen as they were at a height disadvantage in the paint.

Here’s another possibility on the Pitts deal: One of my thoughts on the Nebraska game was that the team seemed to always be looking for Pitts to bail them out. (It reminded me of last year when they looked for Bell to do the same.) It’s like the other players stopped looking for their own shot, and just looked for Pitts. Maybe by putting Pitts on the bench, Whalen is trying to get the others to be more self reliant. I’m not saying that this was a great decision (or maybe she just let it go on too long), but hopefully whatever is going on will get resolved within the team and we don’t find Pitts’ name in the transfer portal...

Unless you know everything, you might not want to speak on this subject.

Do you know more?

A lot more went into that moment than anyone on a message board like this will realize.

You’re on a message board.

And ball hogging? Check the stats from last night.

I agree that ball hogging and poor decisions were more of a factor down the stretch in the OSU loss. Maybe the poster was harkening back to that game?

Even then, Pitts was benched when practically the whole team was gifting the ball back to NW.

I guess we can conclude that the benching wasn’t because of the turnovers.

Even in her limited minutes, while being face-guarded by NW, Destiny had 11 points (second on the team), was 2-3 from 3, had 6 rebounds... ball hogging? Stop.

Hopefully in the future Pitts will know better how not to get benched.

Even then, I wish she'd hog the ball more--the rest of this team can't really score consistently.

Pretty sure Bello has the highest FG%. Sounds like you care more about Pitts than team success.

All of the above, except for not relating to the players. That’s Whalen’s strongest suit. She was a player herself. That’s how Whalen got the job with zero experience. She was a Gopher hero 15 years ago. I don’t think relating to the players is the biggest problem. It’s more like a lack of “running good stuff” and a lack of knowing how to defend “good stuff”.

All of the above, except for not relating to the players. That’s Whalen’s strongest suit. She was a player herself. That’s how Whalen got the job with zero experience. She was a Gopher hero 15 years ago. I don’t think relating to the players is the biggest problem. It’s more like a lack of “running good stuff” and a lack of knowing how to defend “good stuff”.

Relating to players is her strongest suit? I don't even think she would say that right now. But maybe I'm wrong. Then again, it's been a rough week.

As far as my motivation goes, I am just tired of people on this board blaming or personally attacking kids. I get it's the nature of message boards, where people get to be anonymous, and it's not always incorrect to say "so and so could have played better" or "so and so made so many mistakes." I just don't think it's kind to label a kid personally.

On top of all that, when a school I care about hires a head coach with 0 experience and pays her half a million dollars... well, I guess I start there when it comes to finger pointing. What did anyone honestly expect? Do you really think it's really that easy to lead a group of people to a common goal?

But when it was under 3 minutes and they had made it within 2-4 points. it was time to put her back in.

If the Gophers made a comeback with Pitts on the bench, that means Pitts on the bench was working. Why go against what’s working?

Also why in the last three games have they abandoned the pressing defense with taiye of the top of the press? is it really not worth a look the last 3 games? (all losses)

Like I said before, Maryland has the fiercest press defense in the league, and NW absolutely destroyed them. It was a good scout not to press NW. (Whalen compliment)

As a fan I expected that when we hired Whalen we would get a great coach over the long-term but there would be learning curve bumps in the beginning. Also knew that she really won't get a good shot at recruits until 20-21 or later. What I hoped is that she would have a seasoned supporting staff (and maybe some guidance from Reeves?) that make up for lack of experience.
My observation is that the defensive end seems to be working fairly well for the most part. I believe that Carly Thibault-DuDonis is responsible for defense. Offense is clearly off, perhaps in part still a learning curve going from run and gun (no defense) to defensive minded to ….? Who on staff is the offense coach (or does it fall only on Whalen)? If there is a coach specifically dedicated to offense, is it time to consider a change? (And if others pile on, maybe this should be a thread of its own)

If the Gophers made a comeback with Pitts on the bench, that means Pitts on the bench was working. Why go against what’s working?

Like I said before, Maryland has the fiercest press defense in the league, and NW absolutely destroyed them. It was a good scout not to press NW. (Whalen compliment)
Cause as I stated after that, at least 3 separate occasions the team had shot clock under 10-12 seconds due to the team standing around and looking for someone to take the shot. The ball would normally be in Pitts hand at that time. Also having her on the court doesn't mean she has to take the shot. She could of been a decoy. She would of had Scheid guarding her instead of the long Scheid guarding hubbard. They also were able to completely ignore Masha and leave her wide open with no fear of getting burned. Could they have done that if pitts in the corner? No.

If she wanted masha for defense fine. but in crunch time you go with your best players. end of story. and lets get real Scheid still got 2 open looks under 5 minutes she just happened to miss those open looks compared to hitting them when Pitts was guarding or a smaller guard switched out.

Iowa also used a press for some possessions and look how that game turned out for NW. Im not saying press the entire game. but throwing it out there to try couldn't hurt especially when the other defense wasn't getting stops.

Relating to players is her strongest suit? I don't even think she would say that right now. But maybe I'm wrong. Then again, it's been a rough week.

I can tell. Come back when you’re feeling a little better.

As far as my motivation goes, I am just tired of people on this board blaming or personally attacking kids. I get it's the nature of message boards, where people get to be anonymous, and it's not always incorrect to say "so and so could have played better" or "so and so made so many mistakes." I just don't think it's kind to label a kid personally.

Pretty sure nobody is trying to get personal here. We’re criticizing what’s happening on the court. Players and coaches who accept criticism will probably learn from it and get better. Those who can’t will most likely keep making the same mistakes. Maybe sports message boards aren’t for you if you think any criticism is too personal.

On top of all that, when a school I care about hires a head coach with 0 experience and pays her half a million dollars... well, I guess I start there when it comes to finger pointing. What did anyone honestly expect?

Where were you when it most mattered, when Stollings first left? I was the lone person here saying hiring Whalen wasn’t a smart idea if you wanted immediate success. It wasn’t the best move in trying to land Bueckers, because she would obviously want a proven coach. I was taking a lot of heat for these opinions.

So the overwhelming majority here got what they wanted. They wanted an on the job trainee for a head coach. I guess they were hoping for some immediate Whalen coaching magic, because if they thought hiring a coach with no experience wouldn’t come with plenty of growing pains, well that wasn’t very well thought out.

But that being said, none of this necessarily means Whalen was wrong for benching Pitts. If Pitts felt above being coached, she definitely needed to sit.

I can tell. Come back when you’re feeling a little better.

Pretty sure nobody is trying to get personal here. We’re criticizing what’s happening on the court. Players and coaches who accept criticism will probably learn from it and get better. Those who can’t will most likely keep making the same mistakes. Maybe sports message boards aren’t for you if you think any criticism is too personal.

Where were you when it most mattered, when Stollings first left? I was the lone person here saying hiring Whalen wasn’t a smart idea if you wanted immediate success. It wasn’t the best move in trying to land Bueckers, because she would obviously want a proven coach. I was taking a lot of heat for these opinions.

So the overwhelming majority here got what they wanted. They wanted an on the job trainee for a head coach. I guess they were hoping for some immediate Whalen coaching magic, because if they thought hiring a coach with no experience wouldn’t come with plenty of growing pains, well that wasn’t very well thought out.

But that being said, none of this necessarily means Whalen was wrong for benching Pitts. If Pitts felt above being coached, she definitely needed to sit.
Well put! I totally agree with all you just said!

Joe Mckeown post-game.
The only silver linings are that Diva was able to regain her confidence and put the team on her back (although in the end, her back wasn’t big enough to support the foibles of the rest of the team plus the coaching staff). Plus, Kehinde held her own and played physical ball against NW (she got knocked down so many times, I’m surprised more fouls weren’t called against her opponents).

Although the buzzer beater was a good play by the NW guards, the excessive Gopher turnovers were the big story here. This game was an example of Minnesota snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

> Interviewer: What do you think it says about your team that you’ve been able to force 20+ turnovers both against Maryland, and against Minnesota, teams that are really good?

> Joe McKeown: Yeah, I think Sydney Wood and Veronica Burton are just, they’re thieves, you know, and those two do a great job of anticipating, they’re really smart, they get in passing lanes ... we’re hard to play against.

This is not anything we did not already know before the game. To quote myself ...

> We have to worry about Veronica Burton since she averages 3.71 steals per game, which ranks #6 in the NCAA. Protect that ball! No sloppy or telegraphed passes!

Instead, the Gophers did not protect the ball. They threw a ton of sloppy and/or telegraphed passes.

> NW’s Burton and Wood rank #19 and #16, respectively, in assist-to-turnover ratio at 2.57 and 2.61. Powell (2.14) ranks #49.

> (pre-game season-to-date stats)
Assist to Turnover Ratio
Sydney Wood (NW) 2.61 - #16 in NCAA
Veronica Burton (NW) 2.57 - #19 in NCAA
Powell 2.14 - #49 in NCAA
Hubbard 2.00 - equivalent to #64 in NCAA
Abi Scheid (NW) 1.9
Brunson 1.68 - #122 in NCAA

For this game, Minnesota has 6 players with more turnovers than assists, with Taiye being neutral (no turnovers or assists), and the only bright light being Diva with 6 assists and 1 turnover. In contrast, NW has 4 players with more assists than turnovers:

Veronica Burton 4:1 = 4.0 ratio
Sydney Wood 3:0 = ratio undefined
Abi Scheid 3:0 = ratio undefined
Jordan Hamilton 2:1 = 2.0 ratio.

Veronica Burton got more than her average 3.71 steals. Or should I say, we handed her 4 steals on a silver platter. Burton and Wood got more than their average assist-to-turnover ratio. In contrast, our best thief, Jasmine Powell, was not a thief but rather a ball donor, and in hindsight arguably should have been benched about three turnovers sooner (which, by itself likely would have been enough to win the game).

But besides Burton and Wood creating steals, there must have been about seven or so unprovoked Gopher turnovers that were unexplainable and simply amounted to carelessness. At times, the Gophers looked more like the Little Chippers.

For shooting problems, Lindsay recommends the Mikan drill. But what kind of drill do you do to teach the team to “not do” something? As some mentioned, it almost seemed at times that the Gophers were not “present” in the moment, or at least not paying attention to detail.

Like Maryland, the (in my opinion) somewhat elite (perhaps even Sweet-Sixteen capable if they could only get to the Dance) Gophers threw away a game to a somewhat mundane team (NW) that simply focuses on two things: not throwing the ball away so as to get a shot off on nearly every possession; and trying to get their opponent to throw the ball away on nearly every possession.

As a result of that NW focus on protecting the ball, plus our own lack of focus, the Gophers had 21 turnovers to 13 turnovers by the ‘Cats. In the 14 games prior to this one, the Gophers had 175 turnovers to opponents’ 255 turnovers, for a 5.71 turnover margin favoring the Gophers, historically. The turnover delta from our history to this game’s 8 turnover margin favoring NW is 13.71 turnovers worse than our usual. (So bad that it knocked a whole turnover off our year-to-date stats - we now have a 4.7 turnover margin over our opponents after 15 games.)

Let’s round that 13.7 down to an integer 13, and say we were 13 turnovers worse than our usual in this game. That’s right in line with what things “felt like” during the game (which makes sense because it’s an approximation to the truth). If we had protected the ball and “not gotten” those 13 “extra” turnovers, then that’s a minimum of 13 extra shots for us (more, after factoring in offensive rebounds that may lead to second-chance points). For simplification, round our field-goal percentage to .500 (since we shoot nearly 50% on both twos and threes, so good enough for government work). If we had allowed ourselves those 13 extra shots (read: not committing these 13 extra turnovers), then the probability of not at least getting to overtime (which requires missing all 13 hypothetical extra shots) is equal to about .5 to the 13th power, which is about 0.00012. The probability of not winning the game in regulation is a tiny amount bigger. But it was virtually impossible to lose that game, if we had only protected the ball as well as a good college team should be capable of doing. That’s a fundamental skill. As I stated, we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

As in the Ohio State game, there’s a whole laundry list of partial reasons that contributed to this loss (and it’s a free country, so the reader is free to pick their favorite subset of reasons):

(a) The aforementioned ridiculous level of turnovers by the Gophers, partially via their own carelessness with the ball, but aided and abetted by skilled NW defense.

(b) By my count (but I could be wrong as I had neither binoculars nor perfect vision) about 3+ egregiously bogus calls by the referees that favored Northwestern. That’s an expected value of an extra 3 points, had those calls not been messed up so badly. And 3 points wins the game. I’ll say it again. Officiating in NCAA Div I Women’s Basketball is so horrible, and enough worse than in (the not quite as bad) Men’s Basketball, that a Title 9 class action lawsuit is warranted. Nevertheless, that’s the state of the art in officiating at this point. You have to aim towards the goal of winning by 6 points, just because the referees are likely to donate 6 points to your opponent (even if you’re the home team). This is a game we should have won, in spite of bad officiating.

(c) Some might want to put part of the blame on the coaching staff for putting a higher priority on disciplining perceived lack of effort by certain star players, than on winning the game. In hindsight, Powell wasn’t benched quite soon enough, and Pitts was benched too long. Between foul trouble and benching, taking 7 minutes off her normal playing time, and arguably 10 minutes off the time Pitts would normally play in a close game. Pitts averages about 0.92 made three-pointers per quarter (not to mention two-pointers and almost perfect free-throw shooting). Does anybody believe that she couldn’t make one triple in an extra quarter of playing time. Then again, the team without her was able to accomplish the come-from-behind tie, so it’s not clear that the tie would have happened with her in the game. Bottom line, it was maybe only a minor factor among all the items listed here that factored into the loss. If anything, perhaps people should be more concerned about Pitts’ 2 turnovers, contributing to the 21 total turnovers, than whether she played the last few minutes. Then again, Masha, who (at the time) I thought played fairly well, contributed 5 turnovers of her own to the NW gift box, while scoring just 2 points. So we could argue this one all day long, but arguably points (a) and (b) were much bigger factors in the loss.

(d) Finally, the 6’2” Abi Scheid from Elk River was a big problem for us, with 12 points (6-11) worth of twos, and 12 points (4-6) worth of threes. Nobody stopped her from shooting, let alone making. I thought that Pitts was doing as good a job as she could, defending her. But the inherent problem was the four-inch height deficit of Pitts versus Scheid. Ideally (if one could have a wish granted), one could put Justice Ross on her (if she were healthy, which apparently not) to cut the height disadvantage down to two inches. Another idea that was tried was Double Bellos with (hopefully) one on Wolf and one on Scheid (nominally). I thought that went OK except that we were simply missing make-able baskets during that double-post time. Plus both twins were racking up fouls (partly courtesy bad calls by the refs) and we could ill afford both of them fouling out, so back to small ball it was. Putting my Whalen hat on, I don’t think I saw any good solution during the game either. But hindsight is 20-20, and upon giving it further (post-game) thought, I see what the solution to Scheid might have been (with a little luck). Consider that we fairly much needed to play the Bellos serially (not both at once) to cover the primary post position, thanks to foul trouble for both. Yet we needed some more height to defend Scheid. In hindsight, a solution might have been to play Sconiers along-side alternating Bellos for much of the rest of the game. That would have given us more rebounds along with better defense against Scheid - perhaps enough to win the game in spite of all our turnovers. A box-and-one zone with Klarke assigned to be on Scheid like glue and always between the ball and Scheid, might have worked rather nifty. Of course, hindsight plus three bucks will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Last edited:

not enough offense though.. you have your best player on the bench.. that is just an interesting time to bench Pitts..
I go to a lot of the games or watch on BTN+. I noticed defense was better when Pitts sat but the offense was stagnant and the rebounding got worse so what is the tradeoff? The head coach has to coach her team but the yelling match between player and coach could have been handled better by both the coach and the player on sideline. She has to coach her team how she see's fit, but Scheid is a tough match up(wish she were a Gopher) that and Scheid got clean looks and hit shot's. Northwestern has a couple really good on the ball defenders, wish we could anticipate and defend like that.
The passing was not good in yesterdays game there was a lot of cross court passes or driving with nobody going with the driver or getting open for a clean kick. This team needs to get on the same page with some more offensive set's that work, right now to much individual basketball and not enough of a team game.

Last edited:

a solution might have been to play Sconiers along-side alternating Bellos for much of the rest of the game. That would have given us more rebounds along with better defense against Scheid - perhaps enough to win the game in spite of all our turnovers. A box-and-one zone with Klarke assigned to be on Scheid like glue and always between the ball and Scheid, might have worked rather nifty.

I've been begging for this for weeks. Not that I know anything, just a hypothesis.

I wanted Skoniers to play as well, but keep wondering the reasons why she hasn't. I believe in Lyndsay, but feel deflated some after these last three games realizing she has aways to go to be a good coach. Just thought we might see some better offensive sets and inbound plays. Hopefully all of this will settle and everyone will get connected for some tough wins down the stretch.

It boils down to talent and depth. From what I've seen, recent MN opponents have bigger, better players and/or more of them.

It boils down to talent and depth. From what I've seen, recent MN opponents have bigger, better players and/or more of them.

The Gophers have some bigger players, but they’re hidden on the bench. I guess we have to assume they are not worthy of minutes.

Sconiers, I assume, will develop; but my impression in the 50 minutes we've seen her in competitive play that she still lacks the physicality to battle it out in the paint. Certainly, Kehinde is a better rebounder and defender. Klarke also seems a little foul prone and pretty limited in range to shots around the bucket. If anything, we could use a post that could at least nail an elbow jumper.

At this point, playing two posts just seems to further clog up an already stationary offense.

Had issues with BTN Plus night so not sure if this accurate but it looked like when the Gophers were clawing their way back that during the time outs there didn’t seem to be a lot of support from the bench, some didn’t even go into the huddle including maybe Pitts? Just seemed unusual as the whole team usually supported each other, hopefully I’m wrong but whatever the case, team hasn’t been the same since halftime during the PSU game.

Had issues with BTN Plus night so not sure if this accurate but it looked like when the Gophers were clawing their way back that during the time outs there didn’t seem to be a lot of support from the bench, some didn’t even go into the huddle including maybe Pitts? Just seemed unusual as the whole team usually supported each other, hopefully I’m wrong but whatever the case, team hasn’t been the same since halftime during the PSU game.

There was a long break when the officials reviewed the out of bounds call. It took a long time because there was a problem with the replay. Only the players in the game can be in the huddle; it did look odd without the bench players.

The bench got into Brunson's three; but you may be right about the bench energy in general. There's certainly not a Lamke like enthusiast.

Top Bottom