B1G Game 2: Gophers visit Iowa (12-10-22)

Typical Iowa playbook Clark shoot shoot shoot

Oberg giving them some good minutes. Maybe start her second half to save Rose from fouling out? Be interesting to see how they respnod in the second half. They’re not giving up that’s for sure

Iowa making light work out of Minnesota. Pulling away ...

Would be nice to see them cut down the TO’s to close out this game. I love Amaya taking it to CC!

I am sick of seeing Rose miss bunnies.
Yeah one of the exciting things about her last year was that she showed the ability to finish around the rim. Hoping she kind of bottomed out here tonight and gets that back.

Was nice to see the contributions from the bench including the vets. Hoping Rose can get out of her funk during the rest of the non conference schedule. They are fun to watch.

Happy to see Destiny Oberg make sweet shot after sweet shot tonight.

I liked some of the craftiness the Gophers showed at times. I think they actually got to Clark a bit.

My overall impression was that the Gophers have progressed further past being an inexperienced rookie mishap team throwing passes to the other team and out of bounds. Progress.

Comparing Minnesota to Iowa shows what Minnesota cannot yet do.

Caitlin Clark was a laser at feeding assists inside for scores. I gained a greater appreciation for her passing game.

I would love to see the Gophers point guard progress at passing like that.

Late in the game the Gophers came on the floor a d ran a cool play with a pass inside on a break that was sweet. It just was off a bit and didn't work.

Would be nice to eventually see that kind of assist passes from the Gopher point guards. The team is progressing where this is the topic

Iowa has good size and it showed. It was a lopsided contest in the paint. Clark to Czinano, score. Clark to another player with decent size in the paint, score.

I loved the effort of Cayton all she does but realistically she doesn't reliably make shots. I don't see hiw a team can win with gaping talent holes like that.

I thought Gradwell had a good game for what is expected of her. At the same time, Gophers could use more points from her position.

I am looking forward to all those 6'0-6'1"-is players coming in next year that will give options at guard/small forward.

I thought Mara Braun would be the wild card play maker and the Gophers had a chance. In the end Iowa simply is a more refined passing, rebounds, and scoring team. Minnesota can't play like that yet.

Last edited:

Katie and Rose.. are really becoming "black holes" once they get the ball it usually doesn't come out of their hands again.. it's been an issue with Rose all season.. she gets doubled and she tries to go through both.. usually resulting in a TO or a bad shot. She NEEDS to learn how to kick it out and then repost.. when you get DOUBLED.. that means someone ELSE is OPEN.. Katie love her spunk but once again she misses a lot of passes because she has her head down trying to go 1v3.. there were a few times tonight.. she had someone opened in the corner but just tried to go right to the rim and try one of her reverse layups..

Katie and Rose.. are really becoming "black holes" once they get the ball it usually doesn't come out of their hands again.. it's been an issue with Rose all season.. she gets doubled and she tries to go through both.. usually resulting in a TO or a bad shot. She NEEDS to learn how to kick it out and then repost.. when you get DOUBLED.. that means someone ELSE is OPEN.. Katie love her spunk but once again she misses a lot of passes because she has her head down trying to go 1v3.. there were a few times tonight.. she had someone opened in the corner but just tried to go right to the rim and try one of her reverse layups..
Spot on.

To many errands passes and to many off balance and weird shots.

Bench play was good. The team kept up their intensity.

Watched to the end never doubting their spirit and scappiness.

both these things have been an ISSUE all season long.. the Katie thing shows up late in games did in WF and Kentucky.. she started to try and do everything by herself.. she NEEDS to look for the open player.. last night her and Mara were on a 2 on 1 fast break.. Mara in the corner and katie just go right to the rim and missed a lay up..

Rose has been struggling with her shot all SEASON.. I get going to her but man.. she gotta figure out when her shot isn't falling that doesn't mean to try and take a long jumper or start to force up shots.. You can hear Mara/Battle yelling Rose Rose for her to kick out but she just tries to go through the double and it doesn't work.. and if she does get fouled she shooting 56% from the line 18-35.. maybe she has lost her confidence or something, but she has struggled just finishing this year..

I’ve always been a huge Clark fan, but the whining got old last night. And the fact that they had to go to a monitor to check out Gradwells clean block because of Clark’s reaction really ticked me off.

hey she looked decent last night.. had 5 rebounds and 8 points.. but yeah

Rose -16
Mal -26
Battle -18
Braun -24
Katie -17 (7 TO's to 1 assist again..)
I was probably a little too judgemental; but I only caught the second half after I got back from Gopher/Badger hockey. Anyway, Oberg had a near perfect offensive night and still only played 13 minutes. So there's something keeping her on the bench.

I was probably a little too judgemental; but I only caught the second half after I got back from Gopher/Badger hockey. Anyway, Oberg had a near perfect offensive night and still only played 13 minutes. So there's something keeping her on the bench.
still seems like she can only play in small spurts still.. so guessing this what is keeping her on the bench.. played 2-3 minutes spurts again.

Some of the comments here are a bit harsh IMHO. Iowa has the Big 10 POY and five seniors for their top six versus three true freshman. If that wasn't enough Iowa has an All-Big Ten post versus, well, not a post presence that can match up. Katie was pretty out of control as some have noted and that's on her as much as Iowa. I did like how Gophers kept trying to claw back even with the Hawks completely shutting down Braun in the second half. Again seeing that the Hawks have improved some on defense.

Iowa beat up #10 ISU just a couple nights prior and Cyclones were starting the Big 12 POY and 5th year senior Ashley Joens, two seasoned juniors and a 6'-6" transfer center that Lobo keeps raving about. Iowa's couple loses had people thinking they weren't as good as last year, think they are back to showing they are although that earlier #4 ranking was a bit silly. Thinking they probably move back up to #10 in the polls.

Top Bottom