B1G Game 2: Gophers visit Iowa (12-10-22)

The stats aren't that bad from the game. I was just looking at them.

Gophers had 17 turnovers, which is slightly high but an improvement. Last week it was 21, the week before 26, and 22 against Virginia. For comparison, Iowa had 14 turnovers which is closer to typical for college women's basketball teams.

There wasn't a 20+ point swoon like against Virginia or clusters of newbie mishaps leading to an implosion. The Gophers simply were outplayed over many minutes by a veteran team. It's going to take time to get systems down.

Minnesota had 42 rebounds while Iowa had 49, which is better than I would have expected going against Monika Czinano and those veteran Iowa players.

Center Monika Czinano had 22 points.

Here are the stats.

--------

I'm not sure what to think of the discussion about Katie Borowicz. I could see her dribbling and trying to work herself inside for a score several times rather than looking to move it around. I guess that looks like hero ball. On the other hand, someone has to get points. What are the other options? If there was a superstar small forward waiting for the pass to score 17-20 a game, then don't be a ball hog. I really don't know. I will say it's not good when what she fails, it looks like a bad decision, and then the other team races down for an easy score after the bad decision gives the ball. I sense this team will eventually move more and more towards operating like a machine rather than pick up ball players.

She only shot 1-6 of field goals and 0-3 on 3-pointers with 7 turnovers, so that approach didn't work out this game.

1670798041246.png

1670798871065.png

Some of the comments here are a bit harsh IMHO. Iowa has the Big 10 POY and five seniors for their top six versus three true freshman. If that wasn't enough Iowa has an All-Big Ten post versus, well, not a post presence that can match up. Katie was pretty out of control as some have noted and that's on her as much as Iowa. I did like how Gophers kept trying to claw back even with the Hawks completely shutting down Braun in the second half. Again seeing that the Hawks have improved some on defense.

Iowa beat up #10 ISU just a couple nights prior and Cyclones were starting the Big 12 POY and 5th year senior Ashley Joens, two seasoned juniors and a 6'-6" transfer center that Lobo keeps raving about. Iowa's couple loses had people thinking they weren't as good as last year, think they are back to showing they are although that earlier #4 ranking was a bit silly. Thinking they probably move back up to #10 in the polls.
Katie has been out of control most of the season imho.. she has a few good showings but then she tries to do way to much.. Rose is struggling mightily but yet they keep running offense through her late in games..
The stats aren't that bad from the game. I was just looking at them.

Gophers had 17 turnovers, which is slightly high but an improvement. Last week it was 21, the week before 26, and 22 against Virginia. For comparison, Iowa had 14 turnovers which is closer to typical for college women's basketball teams.

There wasn't a 20+ point swoon like against Virginia or clusters of newbie mishaps leading to an implosion. The Gophers simply were outplayed over many minutes by a veteran team. It's going to take time to get systems down.

Minnesota had 42 rebounds while Iowa had 49, which is better than I would have expected going against Monika Czinano and those veteran Iowa players.

Center Monika Czinano had 22 points.

Here are the stats.

--------

I'm not sure what to think of the discussion about Katie Borowicz. I could see her dribbling and trying to work herself inside for a score several times rather than looking to move it around. I guess that looks like hero ball. On the other hand, someone has to get points. What are the other options? If there was a superstar small forward waiting for the pass to score 17-20 a game, then don't be a ball hog. I really don't know. I will say it's not good when what she fails, it looks like a bad decision, and then the other team races down for an easy score after the bad decision gives the ball. I sense this team will eventually move more and more towards operating like a machine rather than pick up ball players.

She only shot 1-6 of field goals and 0-3 on 3-pointers with 7 turnovers, so that approach didn't work out this game.

View attachment 22397

View attachment 22398
Katie has 43 TO's to 34 assists...

she has tried to play hero ball late in a few of our loses.. rather then setting up the offense.. that has to be talked about and hopefully is addressed... can't go 1v3 and try her reserve lay ups when you could set up the offense for a better shot.

Top Bottom