B1G Game 18: Gophers Host Purdue (2-26-23)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Purdue's seniors and the coaching transition:

WEST LAFAYETTE − This was their night and the first 3:11 were a clear indication.

Purdue led Penn State 10-0.

Rickie Woltman won the tip and Jeanae Terry whipped a pass to a cutting Lasha Petree for an easy layup.

Two Cassidy Hardin 3-pointers later and a Woltman layup and the three players Purdue would recognize on senior night accounted for a 10-0 run on the Boilermakers' way to an 86-62 win at Mackey Arena.

Hardin, Woltman and Petree all have their own stories for how they've come together to lead a Purdue team hopeful of its first NCAA tournament appearance in six years.

"Those three mean a lot and I'm hoping they know we're far from over," Purdue coach Katie Gearlds said Wednesday night.

Petree played college basketball at three schools before she found one that felt like home, coming to West Lafayette for her final season of eligibility after stops at Bradley and Rutgers.

Woltman, or Slick Rick as they call her, rarely saw the floor in her first two seasons, scoring 30 points in 32 games as a freshman and sophomore. Last season, she started 22 of the 32 games she played.

Purdue Boilermakers guard Cassidy Hardin (5) celebrates after scoring during the NCAA women’s basketball game against the Penn State Nittany Lions, Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2023, at Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, Ind. Purdue won 86-62.
Hardin was ready to move on to the next phase of her life after graduating from Purdue a year ago, already accepted to Indiana University's medical school. Gearlds sold the sharpshooting guard on coming back for one more run.

"Who defers med school to come back and play for a coach they've played for for one year," Gearlds said.

Cassidy Hardin does.

After all, she was the intermediary when things could have gone off the rails when last season began and Gearlds was thrust into the head coaching role to succeed Sharon Versyp.

"Obviously it was an abrupt switch when everything went down the way that it did, so we had a long talk about it," Hardin said. "Coach brought us all together. She definitely came to me and said I need you to be the link between coaches and players when it comes to jelling and getting everyone on the same page.

"It was kind of chaotic at the beginning. Nobody really knew what was going on. Complete philosophy change that we had to get used to. It went about as seamless as it possibly could go. Not that it was perfect by any means but I think she settled into the role pretty well."

Picking up wins against 2 bubble teams to end the year is promising. 3rd quarter wasn't good but this is probably their best full game of the year. Fun game, good win, nice to see Heyer hit a huge 3 towards the end even though she'd been really struggling shooting.

Much more composed down the stretch. Katie B had some big plays. Starting with taking that elbow. Huge momentum swing.
Rose continues to get better at kicking the ball out when double teamed.

Ups and downs but a good win!

Solid win. Lots of contributors, and can see the potential. I really enjoyed watching them get to get a good win on the last home game of the season.

Any chance they’d try the WBI tournament that Stollings used one post season? Might be a stretch but would like the team get that post-season feel down.

Good win. Great team effort. They dug in at the end and were not going to let it get away.

Kudos to University of Minnesota and BIG+ for showing the presentations to the seniors afterwards. It was a tough season and they took a lot of lumps. But, it was good to see how happy the seniors, their families, and the rest of the team were during the presentations.

Let's hope that they can play well in the tournament and even pull a nice upset.

Go Gophers!

A quality win.

It was a fun atmosphere.

You coukd see the team are into each other.

Good bench production for the Gophers...from Katie B, Gradwell, and Cayton. That loss might come back to bite the Boilermakers when NCAA tourney selection rolls around. Petree had a great game for Purdue.

The difficulty inbounding the ball was frustrating but that was a fun game.

I'll remember the game for two reasons.

One: the foul/review combo that bemused Katie Gearalds and turned the game to our advantage (Borowicz will be encourged in her efforts to force calls).

Two: looking at my phone to check on Iowa/Indiana and seeing Caitlin Clark 3pt. I had to find the replay.

And it appears we will have a winning streak come Wednesday

It was a nice team win. Fun game to be at. Was really good to see Gophers dig in and show some fight, and show they can be a tough out. Nice contributions from the bench and multiple players! Go Gophers.

I will TAKE 2 straight home wins against TWO bubble teams..

I think we can ALL agree this is the production we kind of thought we'd get from our bench this season.. Cayton and Izzy were HUGE today.. Izzy is playing really well the last couple games..

Rose HAD some really good pass outs when she was being doubled..

glad the 3rd quarter didn't rattle them 11-2 fouls in favor of Purdue in the quarter..

some MO heading into Wednesday afternoon

Solid win. Lots of contributors, and can see the potential. I really enjoyed watching them get to get a good win on the last home game of the season.

Any chance they’d try the WBI tournament that Stollings used one post season? Might be a stretch but would like the team get that post-season feel down.
That WBI tourney visit was under Borton in 2012 and we won that tourney.

That WBI tourney visit was under Borton in 2012 and we won that tourney.
I was there; although I had to leave the Northern Iowa championship game early to get to Gopher hockey in St. Paul. When we left, I think Minnesota was down double digits to the Panthers so we missed the comeback and whatever they awarded as a trophy.

Pam had apparently agreed to the WBI tournament before it was known that the Gophers, despite a losing record, would be the automatic WNIT qualifier from the Big Ten. People were annoyed.

Top Bottom