B1G Game 18: Gophers Host Maryland (3-1-20)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Throwing Haymakers

Maryland (15-2) opened B1G play 2-2 including conference losses in game 2 at Northwestern, 58-81 and game 4 at Iowa, 61-66. Northwestern, sneering at the touted Terp press, pushed their lead to 21 points early in the third quarter on their way handing Maryland its worse defeat of the season. Maryland was weak from beyond the arc going 4-18. Although Northwestern had an advantage from three, 6-12, the big decider was the charity strip. The Wildcats were 31-38 and Maryland 18-22. The Terp’s were whistled for 26 fouls and Northwestern 14. Brenda’s summation:

“Northwestern was sensational, they punched first and they had a tremendous game plan,” head coach Brenda Frese said. “Disappointing for us, I don’t think we responded well on the road.”

Nine days later, the Hawkeye guards dismantled Maryland in Iowa City 66-61; Kathleen Doyle scored 21, Makenzie Meyer 20 and Alexia Sevillian 15. The Iowa trio was 8-18 from three while the Terps were 4-25 as a team. And, again, the foul line played a leading role: the Hawkeyes were 18-22 and the Terps 5-13. Brenda’s summation:

"I thought Iowa was sensational tonight," head coach Brenda Frese said. "I thought they punched first. I thought they competed for 40 minutes. I thought for us, for some positives. I thought our defense kept us in the game when we had a tough shooting night. I don't think I've ever seen a stat of 59 boards, 38 offensive, and the 12 steals we had in the second half. We're still continuing to grow with this team. Being led by our seniors and Kaila and still blending the youthfulness of this team. We're still trying to take those steps and get better every day. This season, with the Big Ten, being the No. 2 RPI conference out there, you're going to be battle-tested every night and that's a positive thing for us."

B1G rivals were ecstatic with the Terrapin troubles -briefly.

After losing to the Wildcats, Maryland has steamrolled to a 13 game winning streak. The Terps began slipping the first punch and then pummeling opponents into submission. Towels are being thrown into the ring faster than at a Deontay Wilder fight.

Maryland’s winning margins during the streak from highest to lowest: Purdue 43, Michigan State 41, Penn State 37, Iowa 34, Illinois 29, Wisconsin 29, Rutgers 29, Ohio State 28, Nebraska 18, Indiana 14, Indiana 10 and Northwestern 9. If most of these were fights….

Maryland plays nine players with the focus on six. The starters are well known. It’s a mix of seniors, Kaila Charles (last season’s Gopher killer with 29 points and a buzzer beating layup), Stephanie Jones and Blair Watson, and sophomores, Shakira Austin and Taylor Mikesell. It’s their sixth player, freshman guard Ashley Owusu is the most fascinating to many fans. She can score, leads the team in assists at 4.6/game and throws in some whoops-she’s-gone moves.

Ashley Owusu’s last six games:

TeamPtsRebAsstMinFoul
Indiana1935283
Rutgers1449340
Iowa17510361
Penn State1428273
Wisconsin444262
Purdue829252

Kaila Charles last six games:

TeamPtsRebAsstMinFoul
Indiana21114383
Rutgers1683323
Iowa2192294
Penn State1153254
Wisconsin1632251
Purdue14112280

Last Season:
In College Park, a 16 point third quarter Minnesota lead devolved to a 71-69, buzzer beating layup win for the Terps. Adding insult to injury the Gopher’s absorbed many a self-inflicted punch.

WARNING!!!! WARNING!!!
Ignore the B1G season stats listing the Terps as mediocre three point shooters: 87-276 for an unimpressive .315. They WERE a terrible three point team…until the winning streak. In the first four games Maryland shot 11-66 for a laughable .167. In the last 13 games they were 76-210 (.361). That’s 5.8 makes per game and more than enough outside lightening for a team that can bring the inside thunder.

Probable Starters (B1G Stats):

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
6’1”GSrKaila Charles30.916.88.3
6’2”FSrStephanie Jones26.311.56.9
6’5”FSoShakira Austin22.010.96.6
5’11”GSoTaylor Mikesell30.89.42.9
6’0”GSrBlair Watson28.97.44.9

Bench (B1G Stats):

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
6’0”GFrAshley Owusu25.910.73.2
6’3”GFrDiamond Miller17.97.42.6
6’1”FFrFaith Masonius11.03.22.1
5’11”GSrSara Vujacic7.63.20.6

Throwing Haymakers

Maryland (15-2) opened B1G play 2-2 including conference losses in game 2 at Northwestern, 58-81 and game 4 at Iowa, 61-66. Northwestern, sneering at the touted Terp press, pushed their lead to 21 points early in the third quarter on their way handing Maryland its worse defeat of the season. Maryland was weak from beyond the arc going 4-18. Although Northwestern had an advantage from three, 6-12, the big decider was the charity strip. The Wildcats were 31-38 and Maryland 18-22. The Terp’s were whistled for 26 fouls and Northwestern 14. Brenda’s summation:

Nine days later, the Hawkeye guards dismantled Maryland in Iowa City 66-61; Kathleen Doyle scored 21, Makenzie Meyer 20 and Alexia Sevillian 15. The Iowa trio was 8-18 from three while the Terps were 4-25 as a team. And, again, the foul line played a leading role: the Hawkeyes were 18-22 and the Terps 5-13. Brenda’s summation:

B1G rivals were ecstatic with the Terrapin troubles -briefly.

After losing to the Wildcats, Maryland has steamrolled to a 13 game winning streak. The Terps began slipping the first punch and then pummeling opponents into submission. Towels are being thrown into the ring faster than at a Deontay Wilder fight.

Maryland’s winning margins during the streak from highest to lowest: Purdue 43, Michigan State 41, Penn State 37, Iowa 34, Illinois 29, Wisconsin 29, Rutgers 29, Ohio State 28, Nebraska 18, Indiana 14, Indiana 10 and Northwestern 9. If most of these were fights….

Maryland plays nine players with the focus on six. The starters are well known. It’s a mix of seniors, Kaila Charles (last season’s Gopher killer with 29 points and a buzzer beating layup), Stephanie Jones and Blair Watson, and sophomores, Shakira Austin and Taylor Mikesell. It’s their sixth player, freshman guard Ashley Owusu is the most fascinating to many fans. She can score, leads the team in assists at 4.6/game and throws in some whoops-she’s-gone moves.

Ashley Owusu’s last six games:

TeamPtsRebAsstMinFoul
Indiana1935283
Rutgers1449340
Iowa17510361
Penn State1428273
Wisconsin444262
Purdue829252

Kaila Charles last six games:

TeamPtsRebAsstMinFoul
Indiana21114383
Rutgers1683323
Iowa2192294
Penn State1153254
Wisconsin1632251
Purdue14112280

Last Season:
In College Park, a 16 point third quarter Minnesota lead devolved to a 71-69, buzzer beating layup win for the Terps. Adding insult to injury the Gopher’s absorbed many a self-inflicted punch.

WARNING!!!! WARNING!!!
Ignore the B1G season stats listing the Terps as mediocre three point shooters: 87-276 for an unimpressive .315. They WERE a terrible three point team…until the winning streak. In the first four games Maryland shot 11-66 for a laughable .167. In the last 13 games they were 76-210 (.361). That’s 5.8 makes per game and more than enough outside lightening for a team that can bring the inside thunder.

Probable Starters (B1G Stats):

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
6’1”GSrKaila Charles30.916.88.3
6’2”FSrStephanie Jones26.311.56.9
6’5”FSoShakira Austin22.010.96.6
5’11”GSoTaylor Mikesell30.89.42.9
6’0”GSrBlair Watson28.97.44.9

Bench (B1G Stats):

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
6’0”GFrAshley Owusu25.910.73.2
6’3”GFrDiamond Miller17.97.42.6
6’1”FFrFaith Masonius11.03.22.1
5’11”GSrSara Vujacic7.63.20.6
> “Northwestern was sensational, they punched first and they had a tremendous game plan,” head coach Brenda Frese said. “I thought they competed for 40 minutes."

> "I thought Iowa was sensational tonight," head coach Brenda Frese said. "I thought they punched first. I thought they competed for 40 minutes …"

Here's hopin that Brenda Frese's presser after playing us starts out with something like ...

"I thought Minnesota was sensational tonight. I thought they punched first. I thought they competed for 40 minutes. I thought they had a tremendous game plan. I don’t think we responded well on the road. ..."

I just read that the senior recognition is AFTER the game. This seems like a very bad idea given how bad the loss could be.

The timing might not be the best.....but I do hope folks will stay to honor our seniors! Other teams have been doing these post game, too. You could tell during the post game show on the radio that Iowa was doing theirs post game on Thursday night.

We used to do them post game. I can't remember when it changed. I think it was late in the Borton era.

NOW that I've thought about it, I remember Riche taking the mic in a post-game senior ceremony; so I'm pretty sure Stollings made the change to a pre-game ceremony.

Last edited:

I was going to write up the "Run them out of the gym!"(implored Brenda) game; but Gopher Sports already did. This season's seniors played minor roles; but I assume it remains a vivid memory. She-could've-been-a-senior, Hubbard, led all scorers with 22 points in 40 minutes. Taiye Bello played five minutes, scored 4 points and picked up 4 fouls. Her sister Kehinde played two minutes and Jasmine Brunson played five minutes. Neither Kehinde or Jasmine scored. For Maryland, Kaila Charles had 16 points and 14 rebounds. Stephanie Jones scored 13 in 19 minutes and collected 4 fouls.
LAST TIME IN MINNEAPOLIS
• Behind three players scoring at least 20 points, Minnesota recorded a dominant 93-74 win over then-No. 10/9 Maryland on Feb. 18, , 2018, for its first ever win against the Terps.

Gadiva Hubbard led all scorers with 22 points, while Kenisha Bell contributed 21 points and six assists. Destiny Pitts was the third Gopher to reach 20 points, and she came a rebound shy of a double-double as she finished with 20 points and nine rebounds.

• The Gophers bombarded Maryland by shooting 14-of-24 from 3-point range, including makes on nine of their first 14 attempts. Pitts led the team with six 3-pointers.

• In the first quarter, the Terrapins led 15-10, but the Gophers responded by closing out the quarter on a 14-4 run to lead 24-19 going into the second.

• Maryland cut Minnesota's lead down to seven points in the second quarter, but Pitts made a 3-pointer and Carlie Wagner followed with back-to-back triples in a span of 1:30 to push the Gophers lead back to 13. They took a 53-39 lead into the locker room.

• Minnesota was just as relentless in the third quarter, outscoring the Terrapins 26-15. The biggest lead of the game came with 2:11 to play in the quarter as the Gophers held a 77-50 lead. The Terrapins never got closer than 19 the rest of the way

From the Testudo Times:
Three things to watch
1. How will the Terps handle manage aggressiveness and battles inside? Minnesota averages 37.1 rebounds per game and will not shy away from play in the paint. Not many teams can combat opponents with the height that Maryland has, so the Terps should be able to give the Golden Gophers a tough task inside.

“We know they’re going to be aggressive,” Charles said. “They love to shoot the three, they have an incredible rebounder in [Bello]. We just got to make sure we stick to our game plan and stick to our defense, which kind of plays into how they play.”

2. Will Diamond Miller continue to excel? In the last three games, Miller has finished with at least 12 points off the bench and played at least 19 minutes in each contest. She has also added three steals and two blocks across the three contests to expand her effort on both ends of the floor.

“In our staff meetings — we talked about it — it was her best defensive game against Purdue,” Frese said. “She’s finishing every layup she takes going to the rim and you see from the three now just the comfort level and confidence she’s shooting the ball with.”

Maryland will need contribution from Miller, Sara Vujacic and Faith Masonius down the stretch, and the positive ascension by Miller is coming at the right time.

“The game is definitely slowing down,” Miller said. “I’m just taking every opportunity and stepping on the court and playing as hard as I can.”

3. What will the Maryland energy level be like? Maryland has been able to take things rather easy over the last couple weeks of the season with just two games in the 17 days prior to the Big Ten tournament. Breaks can be positive, but also negative for teams.

“Getting a lot of rest,” Frese said has been the top priority of the time off. “Being able to use these two weeks of the bye stretch to fine-tune where we need to go, but really having our legs ready with the kind of intensity we play with defensively.”

Thank you so much, Seniors!!!

Your strong efforts on the court and in the classroom are very much appreciated by us fans. We feel so lucky to have been graced by the wonderful and entertaining brand of basketball that derives from your efforts. Whay’s Appreciation tweets do a good job of encapsulating the essence of your respective characters.

Thank you, Masha Adashchyk! Thank you, Jasmine Brunson! Thank you, Kehinde Bello! Thank you, Taiye Bello! Also (although not Seniors) ... Thank you, Mercedes Staples! Thank you, Destiny Pitts!

Suggested starting lineup:

Center: Kehinde Bello (hope your ankle is OK)
Power Forward: Taiye Bello
Small Forward: Masha Adashchyk
Shooting/Other Guard: (several choices available)
Point Guard: Jasmine Brunson

By the way, we’re playing the spoiler role in this Maryland game. Northwestern has an easy win, and Maryland has us - who hopefully will give them nightmares (like a couple years ago). Maryland holds the tie-breaker, but they absolutely need to beat us to take the top seed in Indianapolis. Let’s spoil that, Gophers.

Last edited:

Go GOPHERS!! Thanks to the seniors who played through diversity and showed determination and grit.

I always enjoy senior day. I hope we come out strong as I also enjoy watching Brenda kick n scream . Go Gophers !

Already down 26-13 with 1:36 left in Q1. MD is too big, fast, and athletic for MN to overcome at this pace.

Already down 26-13 with 1:36 left in Q1. MD is too big, fast, and athletic for MN to overcome at this pace.
Yeah Marylands been playing like a national title contender lately, just so talented.

30-13 after 1 quarter. MD has hit 5 threes. K Bello must still be hurt. Sconiers was in for several minutes.

The talent disparity between the two teams is alarming. Really hoping for brighter days on the horizon.

T Bello gets 2nd foul and K Bello replaces her, so must be able to play.

45-19 at half. Only scored 6 points. Don't know how many shot clock violations, but it was a lot.

Was expecting it to be a blowout but thought the Gophers would have put up some sort of fight. Maryland is really good tho.

Was expecting it to be a blowout but thought the Gophers would have put up some sort of fight. Maryland is really good tho.
I watched them do this same thing to Iowa a couple weeks ago, think they were up around 30 at half against them. Just so long, skilled and athletic.

Watching the game at the Barn right now. My take, after a horrific 2nd quarter, is that these girls are not well coached. No ball movement or cutters on offense, just standing and being easy to guard. Funnel defense with no help.
Maryland may have better athletes, but our girls are completely unprepared to play.

Watching the game at the Barn right now. My take, after a horrific 2nd quarter, is that these girls are not well coached. No ball movement or cutters on offense, just standing and being easy to guard. Funnel defense with no help.
Maryland may have better athletes, but our girls are completely unprepared to play.
I dont disagree that they need better ball movement but Maryland switches everything and you gotta be able to take advantage of switches and we dont have anyone that can break em down or take advantage down low.

I know it’s senior day, but if you want to be like a Maryland program, might as well your freshmen so they get a feel what it’s like to be competitive in the league. So why is Powell on the bench?

Top Bottom