B1G Game 17: Gophers Visit Iowa (2-27-20)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Streaking in Iowa City
(Enough is Enough)

Iowa (13-3) warmed up for Minnesota’s (5-11) visit by crushing Penn State 100-57. It was the Hawkeyes 35th consecutive win at Carver-Hawkeye solidifying their hold on third place in the B1G. Meanwhile, the Gophers dropped their fourth straight losing to Indiana 75-69 and thus solidifying Minnesota’s hold on 11th place. The Hawkeyes were brutally efficient; Monika Czinano scored 23 points in 24 minutes and Kathleen Doyle scored 18 points in 25 minutes and added 7 assists just to spice up the proceedings. As if the Iowa needed more incentive, Thursday’s game will be Senior day for the Hawkeyes including team leader Kathleen Doyle. Fun. The former Nebraska commit who bailed on the Huskers after Connie Yori was axed has become the quintessential Hawkeye.

A recent article on Kathleen Doyle from the Daily Iowan: “It’s fun as a guard [playing in this offense]”.

https://dailyiowan.com/2020/02/20/doyle-continues-to-lead-iowa-past-expectations/

Doyle has been a key part of the program since she arrived on campus, but the senior from Illinois has taken her game to another level this season. ESPN has even dubbed her the 17th best basketball player in the country.

Doyle has always been a great distributor of the ball, reaching 148 assists in each season as a Hawkeye. The biggest jump in her game has been offensively, where she has become the focal point of a successful Hawkeye attack.

The senior’s scoring output has ballooned up to 18.5 points per game this season as she has been tasked to come up with clutch moments for Iowa. Despite her higher shot volume, Doyle’s shooting percentage has also increased this season up to 45 percent.

“I have so much confidence in her and so much belief in her, and I think her teammates absolutely do as well,” Bluder said.

The restructuring of the offense has allowed Doyle to play to her strengths, as well. With a more guard-oriented style of offense that focuses on the offense driving to the basket, the change could not be more tactically suited for Doyle.

“It’s fun as a guard [playing in this offense],” Doyle said. “Just all of us getting to attack the basket, and it just opens it up a little more for us.”

The stats are impressive enough, but Doyle’s leadership and charisma off the court have been a major part of her role on the team. Always upbeat, Doyle’s spirit and tough-minded nature has allowed her to become the clutch player Iowa leans on at the end of a game.

So, who defeated the Hawkeyes?

In the B1G opener, the Huskers took out Iowa 78-69. It was an anomaly. The Hawkeyes won their next nine games including defeating Maryland 66-61 in Iowa City. Later in the season Iowa avenged the Husker loss with a 76-60 win in Carver Hawkeye.

A 78-63 loss to Michigan in Ann Arbor terminated the nine game win streak. However, it was Monika Czinano’s first game back from injury. Czinano did not start and only played 16 minutes. Make of it what you will.

The third loss was at Maryland 93-59. The Hawkeyes had won three straight from the Terps; so I’m assuming Maryland was taking out some frustration.

Streakly Speaking:

Corbu mentioned on the post-game that he’d never called a Gopher victory in Iowa City. I hadn’t really thought about it; but, of course, he’s right. Minnesota has lost NINE straight at Carver-Hawkeye. The last Gopher win came in January 2007. It was a hard fought 80-78 overtime victory. Emily Fox score 30 points; but I remember the game for several other occurrences. Minnesota led 60-45 with about nine minutes remaining. Then Kelly Roysland left the game with a broken collarbone. (I think Kelly was accidentally whacked by a Korinne Campbell elbow during a rebound). Iowa staged a comeback, forced OT and then with time running down Lisa Bluder put the ball in Kristi Smith’s hands. Smith, a master of forcing in-the-lane blocking fouls, drove the lane, bounced off Ellis-Milan and missed the shot. If I recall, Bluder, who was upset at the no-call, immediately left the bench and went to the locker room. No post game handshake for her; but an enjoyable win for the Gophers tempered by Roysland’s injury.

Iowa Offense

Not only do the Hawkeyes run the B1G’s highest scoring offense at 79.9/game. It is also the league’s most efficient. Iowa’s league leading field goal percentage (.497) is bolstered by Czinano’s league leading .688. Always noted for their three point prowess, the Hawkeyes are 2nd in three point percentage (.365) and three pointers made at 7.4/game.

Last Meeting between Minnesota and Iowa:

In Williams Arena on the 16th of January, Iowa’s Monika Czinano went 10-11 from the field producing 21 points in 33 minutes. Minnesota’s Taiye Bello went 3-6 from the field with 6 points in 15 minutes. (It was the “Whalen makes a point” game). Nevertheless, Minnesota led 72-63 with 4:19 remaining. Then a 13-2 Iowa run bookended by a pair of Alexis Sevillian threes gave the Hawkeyes a 76-74 lead at :08 on the clock. Subsequently, Gadiva Hubbard was fouled, stepped to the line with a chance to tie; but went 1-2 and that was that. Minnesota had its fifth straight loss. A second loss to Iowa will duplicate that earlier losing streak.

Kathleen Doyle last six games:

TeamPtsRebAsstMinFoul
Michigan1445314
Nebraska15515361
Purdue2236391
Maryland1043344
Wisconsin2253334
Penn State1857250

Monika Czinano’s last six games:

TeamPtsRebAsstMinFoul
Michigan630165
Nebraska2382341
Purdue2040324
Maryland1570303
Wisconsin1960261
Penn State2371243

Probable Starters (B1G Stats):

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
5’9”GSrKathleen Doyle33.920.44.8
6’3”F/CSoMonika Czinano25.415.25.3
5’9”GSrMakenzie Meyer35.113.13.6
6’1”FSrAmanda Ollinger29.46.98.8
5’5”GRJrAlexis Sevillian26.76.42.3

Bench (B1G Stats):

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
6’1”G/FFrMcKenna Warnock21.59.44.9
5’9”GFrGabbie Marshall13.93.10.7
5’10”GSoTomi Taiwo6.41.90.4
5’8”GFrMegan Meyer2.71.60.3
6’0”GRFrKate Martin5.11.80.8

Well that was quick. 2 fouls on Powell 2 1/2 minutes into the game.

Masha replaces Powell and quickly picks up 2 fouls before end of 1st quarter.

Last 2 minutes Hawkeye 10 point run. End of 1 Q, 25-15. We were lucky it wasn't worse with 4 straight turnovers without a shot.

A 10-0 Hawkeye run to end the quarter. Too many Gopher turnovers and leaving Makenzie Meyer open from three is not a good strategy.

Mash gets 3rd foul and now T Bello with 2. We will run of players at this rate. Meyer is killing us.

Iowa makes the extra pass. The play with swag.. not real athletic though. We are in help D because our post D nonexistent

11 fouls to 4 in favor of Iowa. Masha 3, taiye, Hubbard, and Powell 2. Iowa has 4 with 2 foul..

Gee guess we figured out the secret to them always winning at home

Down only 46-43 at the half after being down 12 at one point. Hanging in there with Sconiers playing several minutes.

Scalia 4-7 from three and Hubbard 2-2 from three; both have 12 points. Both are annoying Lisa Bluder.

I wonder why K Bello hasn't been put in the game. She doesn't have any fouls....

I'm thinking Kehinde is unavailable tonight. I think she's in warm-ups on the bench.

Czinano is 9-12.

Powell and Masha both with 4 fouls in the 3rd Q. Down 68-57 with 2 1/2 minutes left in 3rd. Not looking good at all.

74-63 after 3. Meyer is killing us on the outside and Cziano on the inside.

To much dribbling is back... High pick n roll, nobody else involved other then the post and pg

I for one will be glad when Doyle graduate, seems like she initiates a lot of the contact but gets the benefits of the calls, plus seems like she has been playing forever.

I for one will be glad when Doyle graduate, seems like she initiates a lot of the contact but gets the benefits of the calls, plus seems like she has been playing forever.
On offense, Doyle leans/falls into you, gets the call. On defense, Doyle flops, gets the call. Refs give Iowa about 12 points that way.

I wonder why Whalen took a timeout after hitting the three.

Last edited:

All Iowa has to do is drive the ball at Powell and she has to let them go and score.

90-82 final. Hubbard with 20. Closer game than expected. The losing streak in Iowa continues.

I miss when Taiye Bello would provided some sort of rim protection.. when she would block shots.. or at least make it a bit tougher for posts to score.. yes she had 16 points tonight.. but man do I miss the Bello from last year that would make players adjust their shots or block a shot here and there..

Looks like we played strong the 2nd and 4th quarters. Tough to win @ Iowa. Hope we can pull off an upset Sunday.

Gophers were 19-21 from the line. Iowa was 14-20.
Gophers were 9-21 from three and Iowa was 8-18.

Top Bottom