B1G Game 17: Gophers Host Nebraska (2-24-21)

please raise your hand if you thought Klarke and Kayla would out score Cain tonight..

please put your hands down if you raised them because that's a lie.

Klarke looked good once again, wish she could put it all together in straight games.

Sissoko PLAYED well in the 4th, she like Jazz NEED to learn how to stay on the floor.

Scalia an off night shooting but still ends up with 11, 7 rebounds, 8 assists, 3 steals and NO to's

Hubbard was key in the 2nd half

Laura only scored 6 but was very aggressive tonight defensively

Smith again didn't look to attack when I'm pretty sure she could have beaten Scoggin or Porter to the basket all game long.

Kayla likes playing against her former team, 8 points and now 2-0 against them!

to have ONLY 7 TO's without our starting PG

last two 4th quarters against Nebraska we have outscored them 39-22

3 straight wins against Nebraska now

Wouldn’t be surprised if these two teams meet in the BIG tourney as the 8/9 seeds. Evenly matched. Is Sissoko can find some consistency this team could be good next year.

no thanks, there is that saying.. ALWAYS tough to beat a team 3 times in a season.

please raise your hand if you thought Klarke and Kayla would out score Cain tonight..

please put your hands down if you raised them because that's a lie.

What I didn't think was that they would outscore BOTH Cain and Bourne.

What I didn't think was that they would outscore BOTH Cain and Bourne.

Cain scored 11 points in the two games against us.

haha the reigning POTW in that as well.. FINALLY a team actually struggled against us.. even though our defense wasn't great but better then the last 2 games, I know different level of opponents but still..

It looked like Hubbard rode the bike to stay loose every time they took her out!

To get a win after that brutal road trip indicates the Whalen hasn’t lost the team. After 2 blow out losses this team could have packed it in. Sconiers has a nice streak of offense going. Would love to see this team at full health.

It looked like Hubbard rode the bike to stay loose every time they took her out!
The first time I saw Gadiva walking back there, I thought, "damn she's headed down the stairs". Then I noticed the bike.

From the Journal Star

For Nebraska, some of its best and most aggressive players were its three players from the state of Minnesota. Sam Haiby, from Moorhead, scored 22 points, and kept driving and scoring in the second half to try and rally the Huskers.

And Nebraska’s two freshmen from Minneapolis each made big shots. Annika Stewart scored 13 points and was 3-for-4 on threes. Kendall Coley had a season-high six points, making both threes she attempted.
[...]
“I’m disappointed,” said Nebraska coach Amy Williams on the Husker Sports Network. “We did not do some of the things that we need to be great at in order to come away with wins. The one that really sticks out like a sore thumb for me is points in the paint, obviously, and second-chance points. We knew rebounding was going to be very critical in this ballgame and we gave up 11 offensive rebounds.”

Nice to see Sconiers step up. Enjoy the balanced scoring. Not sure why Whalen has so much confidence in Smith.

Nice to see Sconiers step up. Enjoy the balanced scoring. Not sure why Whalen has so much confidence in Smith.
Defense, physical, big strong kid. Not a scorer and probably never will be, but kids that can play D always have a spot.

No better at D than any other player on this team. Issue with tall guards shooting over her.

No better at D than any other player on this team. Issue with tall guards shooting over her.
If you don't think Smith is a good defender, then you really don't know basketball, which is fine... If you have an issue with tall guards shooting over her, then you have an issue with all our guards, which is fine too....
This is a team game, and everybody has a role.. Smith's role is to guard the other teams best player every game and as a freshman does a pretty good job doing so.

I have an issue with the defense in general. Defense is typically a system concept based on the physical abilities and skillsets of the individual players on the team. Also, where players communicate constantly with each other to successfully defend. To say we have a shutdown defender that guards the other teams best player every game is simply not true.

I think the ball was passed around a lot better with Jasmine out. It was definitely more "team play" last night. Diva did a good job hitting clutch shots to keep the lead. Was it just me or was Diva limping and barely able run towards the end of the game? She seems to not be fully recovered from injury herself. They should both sit out these last 2 games and hope to be better for the tournament.

Was it just me or was Diva limping and barely able run towards the end of the game? She seems to not be fully recovered from injury herself.

I think it was more fatigue from guarding Bourne than a limp. But she was motoring down when possible.

Well The PG averages about that many on her own. I have not been a Powell fan all season and this did not help me become one.
Minnesota had 7 turnovers in Lincoln against them with Powell. Nebraska is last in the league at forcing turnovers, they have slow guards and they dont pressure the guards at all.

Last edited:

So, Haiby scored 22 against Smith and 0 against Scalia.
Keep in mind, we rely on Scalia for points, if we have her chase Haiby around the whole game it would impact her conditioning on the offensive end. At the end, it looked like Coach Whalen wanted Scalia's experience on Haiby - keep in mind they are only 1 year apart in MN, both played at North Tartan AAU (diff teams) so there might be a little insider knowledge Scalia could deploy late. In fairness to Smith, a couple times we had to switch on Haiby and it created mis-match that Haiby exploited.

Minnesota had 7 turnovers in Lincoln against them with Powell. Nebraska is last in the league at forcing turnovers, they have slow guards and they dont pressure the guards at all.
I'm not sure how Nebraska is as good as they are because you are right, they dont create turnovers.

Top Bottom