B1G Game 14: Gophers Host Wisconsin (2-11-23)

Emphasis added
I'd really like it if we STOPED forcing it to Rose.. feels like Lindsay thinks she is Syl.. or Holmes or Monica Czinano down there... a lot of our TO's are because we just force it to Rose.. either the pass in gets picked off.. or Rose turns it over after trying to pass out of it or trying to split the double/triple teams..

There are some key things that come into tonight.

First, after the 12-5 start, Whalen had Mara, Mal, Amaya and Rose on the bench with a five of Hammond, Maggie, Cayton, Katie ad Gradwell. WHO IS YOUR SCORING OPTION WITH THAT GROUP? How are you EVER having all three freshman off the floor at one time.

Also, Mal was BY far the best player on the court today. I would have liked a Mal or Mara shot attempt to try and win in on that last possession. Also the best player Whalen or any of the other assistants couldn't come up with a better play than amaya driving herself and three players standing? like at all? get movement?

Why was Katie playing so much. SHE WASN'T GIVING anything on the court! gave next to nothing but yet played 23 minutes.

Then Rose. Here is a wild thought to Whalen, But Rose is not Syl Fowles, Griner, Holmes, Czinano (Iowa's) yet the way we force the ball into her over and over and over and over again, I don't think Whalen knows its not them. Seriously I would venture 40% of our turnovers stems from forcing it into rose too much. either with her going 1 on 2 or 1 on 3, lazy pass out etc. The offense should frankly run through Mara, Mal and Amaya. End of story.

It terms of Mara. Why can't Whalen and the coaching staff figure out how to get her open looks? She had 13 points by half. 2 after the break but she hardly had the ball in her hands. RUN PLAYS FOR HER! Double picks, screens, post her up, have her bring the ball up. DO SOMETHING!

Another disappointing loss. They played hard and fought hard. Heyer was fouled on the rebound at the end of the game but the refs did not want to have a game decided by free throws with tenths of a second left. Heyer was amazing. She is an outstanding all-around player. Braun started out great but couldn't maintain it. Battle had one of her best games as a Gopher but couldn't maintain it at the end. They stopped Rose with double and triple teams. She should have been awarded a lot more trips to the free throw line. They had their chances but got tight at the end. They need to reflect and learn from this game.
Braun started hot but they didn't keep feeding her. Micheaux was hammered inside constantly and fouls were called very unevenly the entire game.

Last edited:

Yes they started well, then the bench came in in the first quarter then the lead was lost. I get resting your players but good god, all at once? By the time the freshman came back in, they were behind. My biggest issue with this team has been the lack of production from the players from the transfer portal. The coaching staff have got to do better getting players to help the talented freshmen.

I've been a fan of men's and women's Gopher basketball for many decades. But I'm calling this women's team as I see it. Lindsey is failing. It pains me to say it but the hero worship needs to stop. That was her past as a player. She's coached for 5 years now and there's nothing to show for it except a revolving door of players and no signs of improvement. This team is young, sure, but it plays out of control. FAR too many turnovers and off balance, undisciplined shooting.

Amaya Battle has lots of raw talent. But the Amaya today was worse than the Amaya at the start of the season. Lindsey is a HOF guard. But can she coach up raw guard talent? It doesn't seem so. Amaya's play has gotten more sloppy as the season's gone on. Errant passes (often one handed), off balance shots, FAR too many turnovers and for no good reason. She even threw an inbound play to a Badger at a critical juncture from the Gopher end of the floor. I see NO effort on Lindsey's part to call her on the sloppy play or evidence of coaching up her play in practice.

Further, Lindsey's player rotation in games makes no sense. Offense is abysmal. At one point today two Gophers ran into each other because one was in the wrong spot. Not acceptable this late in the season. I counted 8 assistant coaches today. Something is very, very wrong. Fans need to throw away their maroon colored glasses, start posing tough questions and pressing for clear answers as well as vastly improved play.

Another tough game to watch @ the Barn. Season long game killing themes of TO’s, forced passes, terrible team D and poor shot selection cost us a winnable game. They had flashes from Mallory, Mara n Amaya but offensive inconsistency reared it’s head again especially in OT.

2-12 16% That's the only stat you need to be concerned about.

Top Bottom