B1G Game 12: Gophers Visit Illinois (2-5-23)

They had their chances. It was anyone's game until the last minute. The Gophers do not have much experience in close games and they couldn't pull it off in the end. Rose had a another great game. They need to find some outside shooting and another threat to open things up more for Rose. I was hoping that this would be a signature win for them. We got to beat the cellar dwellers coming up to gain some confidence.

Micheaux 11-17 and Borowicz 1-10. Katie took the second most shots today.

If I understood Whalen in the post game interview, she said we rolled with the players getting stops.

And on the BTN+ broadcast, you could see that black "athletic" tape on Braun's lower right leg. So, yes, it would appear there is some kind of ongoing injury issue.

I didn't hear anything or see anything about an injury in the broadcast. Nothing.

The announcers again and again were saying what a puzzling coaching decision to have Mara Braun out of the game. Where is Mara Braun.

Let's look at the video and see if there is an infamous black tape injury for Braun. Nope.

1675634966411.png

1675635073756.png

1675635151036.png

I posted another picture in my last post of a wide open Illinois player scoring. It appears Gradwell on defense was preferred to Mara Braun on defense.

Really sad to see Braun's shooting percentage go into the tank since coming to Minnesota and now apparently Mara Braun's defense allegedly (I don't believe it) has been so diminished that it's better to play Gradwell over Mara Braun -- at one time the consensus top prospect in Minnesota.

And then Illinois gets open looks to score. While Mara Braun sits on the bench.

1675634886744.png

Watching the video, she's not at all diminished when she does get to come in at 28 seconds.
1675635428199.png

What did Braun do in her final seconds? Braun scored two points on two free throws.

1675635564017.png

Don't listen to the Whalen supporter fibbers.

For Illinois, Cook was in the game down the stretch. I am not aware of any controversy of Cook being out.

1675635261453.png

heck run some plays for Heyer... it was ALL ROSE.. I know she was having a great game but man there has to be another option late in games..
Rose was 11-17 (65% FG) with 11 rebounds. The rest of the team shot 22% FG. There is your answer.
Borowicz 1-10, Heyer 1-6, Czinano 1-3. Surprising Illinois did not press to generate turnovers and easy transition baskets with their quick guards. Gopher WBB now in the bottom 3 of BIG.

The tape is on the back side of her right leg. You can see it in the picture where she is at the free throw line. It is picture number 6 of the 7 posted.

It's good to put stuff out there for clarity. The goal is accuracy.

She made both her free throws.

I will be curious to hear what more is said about this.

Was her defense stinking and so she was on the bench?

Was she hobbled?

I thought it was common knowledge that Braun had a foot injury that would linger all year, wont get better until she rests but she can play with it. Believe its a heel injury, maybe plantar fascitis? I'm sure thats had an impact on her game this year.

This somewhat explains why Whalen would put Braun in for a minute on offense and then take her out on defense. This was done several times.

Clarifier. I mentioned Braun was the #1 prospect in Minnesota. My mind meant of the terrific Fab Four recruiting class was #1. Braun was the #2 overall prospect from Minnesota that year, not #1.

Another potential victory squandered by poor shooting. Any one knows what Heyer was doing?

heck run some plays for Heyer... it was ALL ROSE.. I know she was having a great game but man there has to be another option late in games..
I hate what they're doing. Rose has a big game, then it's Braun's turn or Heyer's turn. We need them all contributing on a daily basis if they wanna get out of this funk.

I hate what they're doing. Rose has a big game, then it's Braun's turn or Heyer's turn. We need them all contributing on a daily basis if they wanna get out of this funk.
it seems like they if Rose is hot they just go to her over and over... I wish they would run some plays for Heyer even some back door cuts or slash or something.. she can finish well and on either side too.

What I saw with about a minute to go, down 2, was Gradwell going under a screen for a wide open Illini shot, a turnover, and an airball. We consciously or more likely subconsciously chose not to try to win. Someone needs to step up as a leader on the floor.

Braun was the only other Gophers player in double figures, but she scored nine of her 11 points in the first half, playing just 11 minutes in the second half and 3 in the fourth quarter. Battle played 11 of her 15 minutes in the first half.

Ultimately, Whalen stuck with the group that got the Gophers back in the game.

"It was the group that was going to be able to get stops and get rebounds," Whalen said. "And that was the group that made the run."

Braun's injured foot is her left foot.

You circled her right foot.

1675640965362.png

QUOTE: "Braun, who injured her foot in the Lehigh game, will be re-evaluated before Sunday's game against Presbyterian. She watched the game from the bench wearing a walking boot.

But this loss cannot be blamed all on Braun's left foot." END QUOTE

At half-time I posted the first half stats. Everyone can see here Braun's first half stats.

1675641204153.png

She was not injured from anything I saw. The game announcers made no mention of that. I don't trust them to be the know all. They did say over and over they were puzzled by the couching decision by Whalen to have Braun out, where is Mara Braun?

When she did come in at 28 seconds she scored two points on both free throws.

In her absence for many minutes down the stretch the Gophers defense folded.

In her absence for many minutes down the stretch, several players missed their shots.

See Braun's stats final for the whole game below.

1675641475771.png

Rose was 11-17 (65% FG) with 11 rebounds. The rest of the team shot 22% FG. There is your answer.
Borowicz 1-10, Heyer 1-6, Czinano 1-3. Surprising Illinois did not press to generate turnovers and easy transition baskets with their quick guards. Gopher WBB now in the bottom 3 of BIG.
Missed game but why did Battle only play 15 minutes?

As far as I know, there is no truth to Braun coming in on offense and sitting on defense. No truth.

She had a good first half. The Gophers were tied at halftime.

Braun was put on the bench in the second and stayed there.

Braun was not injured.

Also the claim that Cook was taken out of the game for Illinois is not true as far as I know.

On the contrary, the announcers kept saying that you need to go to what's working for you and that's Cook. And then Cook was a consistent presence. There is not truth to the Illinois coach taking Cook out of the game.

Do I really have to post more pictures to make this clear?

Braun got the Gophers to the half-time tie. She got them there.

Then Whalen lost the game by putting Braun on the bench who had got them there.

Yet again, the Gophers lost another close one.

Top Bottom