B1G Game 12: Gophers Host Ohio State (2-8-24)

Gophers could be good if they didn't have to play the third period.

Midway through the third quarter following Battle's turnover trifecta. Plitzuweit called time out and subbed out Battle. First, before going to the team huddle, Plitzuweit had a discussion with Battle, then after Plitzuweit left Braun came over for a discussion with Battle. That was followed by Horn and battle looking at video during the rest of the timeout.

In the fourth quarter Horn and Battle had another bench discussion. A lot of discussion with little effect. It's not all Battle's problem. Players rarely seems to be running the same play-when we actually run a play.

7 points in the third quarter and 23 turnovers. Gophers self imploding. Ohio State is a very good team, that said Gophers forced a lot of there own errors like they were seeing ghost. I think they need to figure out a way to get on the same page. To much talent on the squad to just toss in the towel.

Gophers are in a world of hurt. One guard who won’t pass to her teammates and another guard who passes to the other team. Hard to win.
Spot on! This is silly. battle can’t hang on to the ball long enough to have an offense, and what’s the point of moving when Sanders has it? You lose half your 30 seconds while she dribbles with her head down, and you only get the ball if she finally can’t drive. The last 5 possessions of the game, she kept the ball to herself FOUR times, the only time she gave it up was when they simply would not allow her to get free. Three times to the hole, and lost it once while trying to drive. No wonder the other players stand around. I played rec ball with guys like this, it’s simply demoralizing! Nothing ruins an offense faster than a shoot first point guard, who by the way actually can’t shoot, only do right handed layups! As for Battle her attitude was showing in the last half of the 3rd quarter. It’s tough when you dont have the flexibility to bench both players at once.

They should watch Hawkins on the men’s team. He started out slow but learned to be a pass first pg and is making a lot of good passes now. They need much better court awareness and make crisp passes not the slow telegraphed passes they’re making now.

This team desperately needs an experience point guard in the transfer portal. Yes, you lost your best player, but that shouldn't hold the coaching staff to be able to run open plays. Something is off.

Spot on! This is silly. battle can’t hang on to the ball long enough to have an offense, and what’s the point of moving when Sanders has it? You lose half your 30 seconds while she dribbles with her head down, and you only get the ball if she finally can’t drive. The last 5 possessions of the game, she kept the ball to herself FOUR times, the only time she gave it up was when they simply would not allow her to get free. Three times to the hole, and lost it once while trying to drive. No wonder the other players stand around. I played rec ball with guys like this, it’s simply demoralizing! Nothing ruins an offense faster than a shoot first point guard, who by the way actually can’t shoot, only do right handed layups! As for Battle her attitude was showing in the last half of the 3rd quarter. It’s tough when you dont have the flexibility to bench both players at once.
Sanders reminds me of Jasmine Powell. Shooters open, but ball hogged and turn the ball over time and time again trying to score. At least Plitzuweit has accountability for her players, and is trying to teach them how to improve. BTW. Powell is a pass first guard with Tennessee now. Its pass or sit for her at Tennessee.

25 turnovers in last 3 games unacceptable to still be getting minutes at guard

Those of you with more basketball acumen, are the passes into the post to Hart’s feet better than throwing the pass up high? Seems like she’s usually the tallest player on the court why not keep it high? They bobbled a few low passes into turnovers last night.

These stats say it all - Battle and Sanders had 14 turnovers and 6 assists. And now Saunders has gone two straight games with zero assists. Must be fun playing with her. Or either one, for that matter.

Gophers still on the next 4 out for bracketology somehow

These stats say it all - Battle and Sanders had 14 turnovers and 6 assists. And now Saunders has gone two straight games with zero assists. Must be fun playing with her. Or either one, for that matter.
Czinano deserves start at PG next game

This was the most ticked off I have been watching the team play...maybe ever, and from the fans leaving in the 3rd quarter around me, I probably wasn't the only one. This turnover performance was worse than last year in that they actually handled the full court press relatively well with not many of the turnovers from trying to get across mid-court. It is almost unfathomable to think they could turn the ball over as much as they did without the trouble of crossing midcourt.

I thought this coach was supposed to have the players past this carelessness with the ball. The body language of the players even indicated this shortly before Battle was pulled from the game for a period late in the game. Again this was apparent to people around me as they muttered and hollered about the lackadaisical play. Don't get me wrong, I think Dawn is a good coach I am disappointed we are still here in the second season for most of these starters.

I would have benched Battle for the remainder of the game and Sanders for her selfish play as a point guard down the stretch. I know Sanders was doing much of the scoring late but she wasn't helping getting player movement and subsequent ball movement with her play. Poor Senden comes in the last 1+ minute and just gets to watch Sanders and is not involved one bit. No excuse for not getting Dalan and Zie any court time at the end either. Nothing was gained letting Sanders drive the lane every posession at the end.

end rant...

Even though she hasn't played well lately, it's a little early to be chasing her out the door. I think the pressure is getting to her and she's just trying to do too much now with Braun sidelined. She's still only a sophomore, and I trust that the coaches can get her back on track. With Klick and the two freshmen guards coming in next year, there will be options in the event she doesn't improve. I think she'd do better as an off guard anyway.

This was the most ticked off I have been watching the team play...maybe ever, and from the fans leaving in the 3rd quarter around me, I probably wasn't the only one. This turnover performance was worse than last year in that they actually handled the full court press relatively well with not many of the turnovers from trying to get across mid-court. It is almost unfathomable to think they could turn the ball over as much as they did without the trouble of crossing midcourt.

I thought this coach was supposed to have the players past this carelessness with the ball. The body language of the players even indicated this shortly before Battle was pulled from the game for a period late in the game. Again this was apparent to people around me as they muttered and hollered about the lackadaisical play. Don't get me wrong, I think Dawn is a good coach I am disappointed we are still here in the second season for most of these starters.

I would have benched Battle for the remainder of the game and Sanders for her selfish play as a point guard down the stretch. I know Sanders was doing much of the scoring late but she wasn't helping getting player movement and subsequent ball movement with her play. Poor Senden comes in the last 1+ minute and just gets to watch Sanders and is not involved one bit. No excuse for not getting Dalan and Zie any court time at the end either. Nothing was gained letting Sanders drive the lane every posession at the end.

end rant...
Thank you! There are times you can afford to make a point, and times you cannot. And this was one to make a point. Someone has to tell Sanders that for every point she scores, the overall offense suffers. Yes, she can drive and score, but at her size and single handedness that can easily be stopped. And it’s not like she’s ever gonna dish it off. When P took her out and had that heart to heart with her on the sidelines, I figured she was done for the night. Battle replaces her and coughs the ball up immediately. That when she should have benched Battle, threw in the towel, and put anyone in for the rest of the game. The other coach had long before this pulled the press, so he wasn’t gonna pile it on. This has become the kind of year where you make it clear what your plan is, and make it clear that if you want minutes you had better understand that. BJ is doing that with the men’s team, see OJO. At the end of this year OJO will either be on board, or enter the portal. Either is fine with me!

BTW, during early in Whalens tenure, she had a bunch of malcontents. One of the starters, can’t remember which one gave her the finger during a timeout, shown on tv. Not sure if Whalen benched her or suspended her, and at the end of the season the player left taking some of her friends with her. Good riddance. If you are going to coach, you need to run the show. If you don’t, you are toast!

The objective is to decrease the number of turnovers.
The object in this game should have been to send a message! And considering the previous 3 games by the PG’s, sitting at the start of the next one also applies.

Thank you! There are times you can afford to make a point, and times you cannot. And this was one to make a point. Someone has to tell Sanders that for every point she scores, the overall offense suffers. Yes, she can drive and score, but at her size and single handedness that can easily be stopped. And it’s not like she’s ever gonna dish it off. When P took her out and had that heart to heart with her on the sidelines, I figured she was done for the night. Battle replaces her and coughs the ball up immediately. That when she should have benched Battle, threw in the towel, and put anyone in for the rest of the game. The other coach had long before this pulled the press, so he wasn’t gonna pile it on. This has become the kind of year where you make it clear what your plan is, and make it clear that if you want minutes you had better understand that. BJ is doing that with the men’s team, see OJO. At the end of this year OJO will either be on board, or enter the portal. Either is fine with me!
JOJ is a perfect example. The coach wants him to hit the boards and play defense; JOJ wants to throw up 3 pointers. After being a starter early in the year, he now sits on the bench.

BTW, during early in Whalens tenure, she had a bunch of malcontents. One of the starters, can’t remember which one gave her the finger during a timeout, shown on tv. Not sure if Whalen benched her or suspended her, and at the end of the season the player left taking some of her friends with her. Good riddance. If you are going to coach, you need to run the show. If you don’t, you are toast!
I think that was Destiny Pitts.

Even though she hasn't played well lately, it's a little early to be chasing her out the door. I think the pressure is getting to her and she's just trying to do too much now with Braun sidelined. She's still only a sophomore, and I trust that the coaches can get her back on track. With Klick and the two freshmen guards coming in next year, there will be options in the event she doesn't improve. I think she'd do better as an off guard anyway.
Agree. Battle has played much better in some of her games and has enough talent to work on her game. Look at the amount of work she put in during the off season to remake her shot. She’s a keeper who needs more experience, coaching and talent around her.

I agree, I think Battle would make a better off guard than PG, that would see her getting free for some open shots or drives, save some energy on bringing the ball up the court.

Top Bottom