B1G Game 11: Minnesota Hosts Indiana (2-1-23)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Sara Scalia returns.

Today in Bloomington, the Hoosiers got going late to defeat Rutgers 91-68. Mackenzie Holmes and Grace Berger both scored 21 points. Scalia scored 5 points in 9 minutes.

Minutes for the IU starters: Berger 36, Chloe Moore-McNeil 35, Sydney Parrish 34, Yarden Garzon 31and Holmes 30. Lexus Bargesser played 10 minutes and Lilly Meister 7 off the bench.

Indiana was 11-18 from three.

Teri Moren thought there was a bit of a hangover following the win over the Buckeyes.

Indiana head coach Teri Moren
"For us this afternoon coming off of such an emotional night the other night with our win against Ohio State, you know, the flow, the rhythm felt a little bit like we were, for me, felt like we were playing a little uphill this afternoon. I don't know if it's because they were hitting shots, we weren't getting the stops that we needed. Certainly, I thought we were good offensively. When you look at the end of the game, you shoot 63 percent from the two's and 61 percent from the three. Our free throws continue to hover around 70 (percent) and over which is good. I felt offensively I thought Grace Berger was terrific today. It was good to see her have a breakout game. We've seen her do that before but today was I thought Grace Berger Day where she looked for her shot. I thought she was aggressive and that was great to see and we needed it because she had to carry us there for a little bit there I thought offensively when we weren't getting stops and we were trying to extend the lead. And she seemed like she was the one that was willing to make some plays for us, so. Give Rutgers credit, they played hard, they hit shots. Coquese (Washington) is going to do an outstanding job at Rutgers. I have so much respect for her as a coach and I know that it's just a matter of time before that program is back to where Coach (C.) Vivian (Stringer) had it at one point. This is another, like I said another right step in the direction for us today I'm happy with the outcome certainly, but I'd like to have felt like we were really great lockdown defenders today and I didn't think that was the case. But we'll have to sure some things up and then turn around quickly and get to Minnesota Wednesday and hopefully be better on that side of the ball."

The Hoosier's Minnesota connection:

1:26, fourth quarter: Sara Scalia 3-pointer assisted by Lilly Meister

In the final 90 seconds of the game, a tipped pass led to a loose ball in Indiana’s paint. Despite two Rutgers players grabbing at the ball, freshman forward Lilly Meister came up with it on the ground and quickly sat up and fired a pass to senior guard Sara Scalia beyond the arc.

The wide-open Scalia knocked down the shot for her first made field goal of the game — prior to the attempt she was 0-of-4.

Player of the Week: Mackenzie Holmes, Indiana

Holmes has been outstanding all season, but the 6-foot-3 forward seems to have found an even higher gear in Big Ten play. In the Hoosiers' three victories last week -- vs. Michigan, Ohio State and Rutgers -- she had 25, 26 and 21 points while going 28-of-40 from the field (70%). She also had 20 rebounds.

"It's a guard's dream to play with Mackenzie Holmes," teammate Grace Berger said. "You just throw it to her and you're going to get an automatic assist. This season has been super special to watch. She was always good, but to see the consistency, to see her taking over that leadership role and doing it night in and night out against the best teams in the country."

Grace Berger Attacked Her Recovery Like She Does the Midrange Jumper​

Indiana women's basketball guard Grace Berger had her longest career break this season after suffering a right knee injury that took her out for six weeks. She's now played in seven games since the incident and has been putting up huge numbers just like her old self would.

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Indiana women's basketball guard Grace Berger has now played in seven games since her return after a six-week injury recovery.

In late November, the Louisville, Ky. native injured her right knee at the Las Vegas Invitational in the Hoosiers' third possession of the Auburn game. The MRI was best news expected, as she didn't need surgery, just some TLC and a lot of training to get back to normal.

"She attacked her recovery like she attacks the paint to get to her midrange jumper," Indiana head coach Teri Moren said.
Indiana's Grace Berger (34) watches her teammates warm up before the Indiana versus Morehead State women's basketball game at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall on Sunday, Dec. 18, 2022.
© Rich Janzaruk/Herald-Times / USA TODAY NETWORK
Moren said she saw a sense of urgency in Berger to recover, but it was smart. Originally they were told Berger could go in four to six weeks, and she looked good at four. However, Berger stayed patient and didn't want to play earlier and re-aggravate the knee.

"The first game back versus Northwestern if you would have told me she'd been out for six weeks, I would've said you're crazy because she just looked so comfortable," Moren said.

In the Hoosiers' 72-50 win over the Wildcats, Berger played 27 minutes and put up 16 points. She's scored in double figures all seven games since her return including a season-high 21 points in the Hoosiers' 91-68 win versus Rutgers on Sunday afternoon.

"(Sunday) was another one of those days where I thought her timing, her stamina, her moxie that she's played with really showed up in a big kind of way," Moren said. "If anyone deserves it, it's Grace Berger."

Moren expressed timing and stamina as her main concerns since Berger lost some cardio training while in recovery. Berger did however crush the bike exercises, also careful to not be reckless when working out, Moren said.

"I feel pretty good out there I think," Berger said. "Maybe there's some times when I'm not as bouncy as I used to be or maybe don't have the burst quite yet, but every single game I feel like I'm getting better, so I'd say I'm pretty close to being my old self."

A few IU notes:

NOTES
  • Senior forward Mackenzie Holmes and freshman guard Yarden Garzon swept the Big Ten player of the week awards for the second time this season on Monday. Holmes averaged 24.0 points, 6.7 rebounds while shooting 70 percent while Garzon averaged 14.7 points, 6.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.3 steals and shot 56.7 percent from the floor and 55.6 percent from the 3-point line.
  • Indiana moved up two spots to No. 4 in the Associated Pres Week 14 poll on Monday, which matches its best-ever ranking in the media poll.
  • With the win over Rutgers on Sunday, IU secured its eight-straight 20-win season. It's the longest such streak in school history and is the earliest it has secured 20 wins. Overall, the program has 14 20-win seasons in its 51 years.
  • The Hoosiers picked up three wins last week, extending its overall win streak to eight in victories over a pair of ranked opponents.
  • In the all-time series, Minnesota is ahead slightly, 37-35, but Indiana has won the last eight of nine in meetings dating back to the 2015-16 season.

I went to ESPN to check the score and what's the first thing I see, a Gophers turnover.

I've been one the bigger Whalen supporter... but I'm starting to get a feeling.. it might be time

6 points... 2 of 14 from the floor.. 9 TO's

no real plays.. just forcing it into Rose.. is NOT what my game plan would be against the BEST post player in the conference...

20-6 after one. This team doesn't belong on the floor with Indiana.
Looks like a high school team.

Last four possessions in the 1st, missed jumper, missed layup, another missed layup and a turnover. F**king hell, how do you expect to compete by playing like that?

I think bringing in a good veteran Grad transfer who can play would help. Bring some leadership. I am talking a grad transfer who is maybe low/mid major but an all conference player…tell the grad transfer if they are good enough they could start… none of the current players are good enough that they don’t deserve some competition for Playing time… just a thought this product is bad right now

Another potential addition to Whalen's worst losses?

I listen a bit on the way home from my kids hockey practice and all I hear is turnover after turnover. That’s not on Whalen, that’s just taking care of the ball really shitty.

1st half-very bad 2nd half-pretty solid, think you gotta put Katie B back in the starting lineup and live with some bad turnovers, the offense just isnt good without her. Teams arent even guarding Czinano anymore on the perimeter. Tough night for Rose, shes gonna have to learn how to play with being double and triple teamed.

1st half-very bad 2nd half-pretty solid, think you gotta put Katie B back in the starting lineup and live with some bad turnovers, the offense just isnt good without her. Teams arent even guarding Czinano anymore on the perimeter. Tough night for Rose, shes gonna have to learn how to play with being double and triple teamed.
she gotta LEARN how to pass out from those double and triple teams 100%

2nd half scoring 36-34 IU

a much better 2nd half.. and HAD we not only scored 6.. it could have been interesting..

wish Battle would go back to attacking like she was earlier this season because she can get to the rim.. but its like she lost her confidence..

I LOVE Heyer always RUNNING the floor.. wish we would look for her more and run so more plays for her..

Mara ended up with 13.. her pull up jumper is just not going in

Katie I thought played better tonight.. yes still some passes that make you go KAITE! but also had some pretty slick passes as well.

I think bringing in a good veteran Grad transfer who can play would help. Bring some leadership. I am talking a grad transfer who is maybe low/mid major but an all conference player…tell the grad transfer if they are good enough they could start… none of the current players are good enough that they don’t deserve some competition for Playing time… just a thought this product is bad right now
A veteran guard makes alot of sense, with Hart and Holloway coming next year they have some depth up front.

2nd half was so so still lost the second half that’s with Indiana coasting and losing focus…bad basketball.

Flash is part of Katie B’s problem make the simple right play… decision making is poor… good point guards take care of the ball…

Terrible first quarter. Good third quarter for a change (20 vs 17 points). The second and fourth quarters were OK considering it was against a great team. Good double-double for Rose. Heyer was great--16 points and 8 rebounds. Braun got 13, which is nice to see. Battle didn't score and had 5 turnovers but 4 assists. Czinano had 2 points and 4 TOs. Katie B. had 7 points, 5 assists, and 5 turnovers but forced a bunch of Indiana TOs and bad passes. Indiana had more talent, depth, and experience.

A veteran guard makes alot of sense, with Hart and Holloway coming next year they have some depth up front.
I would even take a guard that was just a three point sniper… I can’t think of the Lehigh guard but she can shoot… someone like her

I believe it's a novel approach in the Big Ten to spend the first quarter seeing if Mackenzie Holmes can beat you in the paint one-on-one. Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference because Parrish was also allowed to roam free.

Bottom line: this team wasn't prepared to play the first two quarters. The Hoosiers, meanwhile, treated much of this game like a scrimmage using a lot of different combos.

Sadly nothing new tonight. I continue 2 to be mystified how TO’s, horrible team D and lack of consistent rebounding are so pervasive. All of us know FG% will be variable but the above require focus, effort and effective schemes which should be under direct control of the coaches/ players. As a long term season ticket holder I have not completely lost hope but I did expect us to be much more competitive this season.

I believe it's a novel approach in the Big Ten to spend the first quarter seeing if Mackenzie Holmes can beat you in the paint one-on-one. Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference because Parrish was also allowed to roam free.

Bottom line: this team wasn't prepared to play the first two quarters. The Hoosiers, meanwhile, treated much of this game like a scrimmage using a lot of different combos.
Holmes could of had 50, it was a clinic in the low post.
I actually think the young mn players were a little intimidated to start and then settled down.
Mn absolutely needs to add a veteran point guard for next year.
Rose is putting up decent numbers, but there is a difference in putting up decent numbers and making the right decisions to make the team better. She will need to learn that aspect for her development and for this team to entertain anything close to .500 in the big.

I agree with that, I'd definitely look for a shooter in the portal. Mckenzie Kramer who your thinking about.

I would even take a guard that was just a three point sniper… I can’t think of the Lehigh guard but she can shoot… someone like her
Seems like we had a player last year who a lot of folks felt had one talent--as a 3-point sniper. There was a lot of complaining about her shortcomings (defense, turnovers) that didn't involve hitting 3 pointers at a 40% clip. She now plays for Indiana. Are we sure we'd settle for a guard that was just a 3-point sniper?

The defense is still bad it don’t matter who is playing…. The team needs a shooter who can play 12-15 minutes and if she is hitting her shot 20-25 minutes… bad defense and turnovers continue this year last time I looked Scalia plays for Indiana..

Some quotes from the Hoosiers:

“We are happy to get the victory tonight, but collectively we feel that we didn’t play our best basketball," Indiana coach Teri Moren said. Seventeen turnovers is just way too many for this basketball team that really prides itself in taking care of the basketball. Obviously, Mack and Syd had big nights for us on a night where our guard play struggled."

"I think we're mindful that this is a very young Minnesota team, and with that comes some hiccups in just learning and gaining some experience," Moren said. "The thing I was frustrated with though, is you force 29 turnovers, but yet you only have 10 fast-break points."

"We're behind her," Parrish said. "We love her. We knew this was going to be fun for her, a good environment, but I was disappointed by the Minnesota fans of how they kind of treated her, booed her when she went into the game.

Looks like Scalia played 80 games as a Gopher 148 assists and 138 turnovers that ratio would be Sue Bird like for this team

Top Bottom