B1G Game 11: Gophers Visit Michigan State (2-5-24)

please practice free throws and finishing at the rim…also perimeter defense

Outside chance at point assist turnover triple double
But watch Gopher pr will highlight that she had 10 assist but no mention of her 9 turnovers.
Ohio State defense and full court press could be another challenge for Battle.

Let’s hope next year’s recruits and Klick are better ball handlers. I think the odds are that they will be and also much quicker.

3-14 vs 12-34 on 3s, 18-11 turnovers, 47.5%-42.6% fg

But watch Gopher pr will highlight that she had 10 assist but no mention of her 9 turnovers.
Ohio State defense and full court press could be another challenge for Battle.
What’s frustrating are so many f the TO’s are unforced, just not great passes.

Gophers women battle but can't overcome huge deficit in 76-65 loss to Michigan State

The Gophers were getting crushed by 23 points at halftime before rallying to make things interesting late in the second half.

On Monday night at Michigan State, the Gophers women's basketball team played a very, very good second half.

The only problem: the first half.

The Gophers dug themselves a 23-point halftime hole and never got all the way out in a 76-65 loss to a Spartans team the Gophers throttled two weeks before.

Minnesota (14-8, 4-7 Big Ten) lost its fourth consecutive game. The Spartans (17-5, 7-4) won their fourth in a row since their 69-50 loss Jan. 20 at Williams Arena.

"I think we're able to compete at a high level, but it takes what it takes," Gophers coach Dawn Plitzuweit said. "We went out and really competed on the defensive end [in the second half], and it carried over to the offensive end."..

They are starting to revert to last season's bad habbit's, rushed play's and lack of confidence and nervousness. The whole team needs to calm down and just start making basketball plays. When you have good positioning close out on the rebound. Stop over shooting and make shots in rhythm. To much aiming, and trying to be perfect, or hesitancy on passing. Trust what the coaches are telling you and compete. Don't just give up, adversity happens. If you practice it execute it. The coaches know what they are doing and teaching, but only players can control their attitude and effort. Stop puckering at the rim and go make a play.

Last edited:

Is anyone else disappointed in how this team has responded to Braun’s injury. We knew it would be tough adjustment and wasn’t expecting wins but thought they would be competitive. I’m just not seeing one or any player taking a leadership role. I thought Battle might be the player to step up but she has regressed into last year’s version. I’m still hoping we are not playing on weakling Wednesday

Is anyone else disappointed in how this team has responded to Braun’s injury. We knew it would be tough adjustment and wasn’t expecting wins but thought they would be competitive. I’m just not seeing one or any player taking a leadership role. I thought Battle might be the player to step up but she has regressed into last year’s version. I’m still hoping we are not playing on weakling Wednesday
not really..

we already knew we didn't have many shooters on the team.. and now that Mara is out.. that moves GG and Mal up the scouting report, and teams are now able to double one of them. Our depth was an issue before the Mara injury but even more so now because we truly don't have a scoring threat off the bench. We are depending our our 5 starters to pretty much score all of our points..

I think Amaya is pressing because she knows how much weight in on her shoulders now, as our really only ball handler on the team and in the starting 5..

plus remember we are now starting 2 Sophomores, 1 GS, 1 Jr, 1 Freshman now

with our bench being 1 Junior, 2 Freshman

Last edited:

They are starting to revert to last season's bad habbit's, rushed play's and lack of confidence and nervousness. The whole team needs to calm down and just start making basketball plays. When you have good positioning close out on the rebound. Stop over shooting and make shots in rhythm. To much aiming, and trying to be perfect, or hesitancy on passing. Trust what the coaches are telling you and compete. Don't just give up, adversity happens. If you practice it execute it. The coaches know what they are doing and teaching, but only players can control their attitude and effort. Stop puckering at the rim and go make a play.
I literally said the same thing last night; its like looking at last years team and coaching staff. A lot of this falls on last years coaching staff with the level of recruiting. I am sure I am going to get attacked for this, but a lot of those girls are not D1 athletes.

Is anyone else disappointed in how this team has responded to Braun’s injury. . . .
I'm disappointed in how Coach P has responded. Grinding Battle, Heyer and Grocholski into the ground last night with 39, 36 and 38 minutes is not how to finish the season without Braun or develop other players. That's a way to lose (again) to one or more of the bottom 3 (Wisconsin, RU, Northwestern).

I literally said the same thing last night; its like looking at last years team and coaching staff. A lot of this falls on last years coaching staff with the level of recruiting. I am sure I am going to get attacked for this, but a lot of those girls are not D1 athletes.

Our top 8 (including Braun) are all D1. Without a doubt. Some have some development yet to become elite D1 performers. But as many have mentioned, they are young. Also as some have mentioned, the issue is depth and some of the roster are lower caliber project recruits that were needed to fill the roster. Some may or not pan out. But I think we're seeing higher caliber recruits in the pipeline who will help provide depth in coming seasons.

Our top 8 (including Braun) are all D1. Without a doubt. Some have some development yet to become elite D1 performers. But as many have mentioned, they are young. Also as some have mentioned, the issue is depth and some of the roster are lower caliber project recruits that were needed to fill the roster. Some may or not pan out. But I think we're seeing higher caliber recruits in the pipeline who will help provide depth in coming seasons.
Our top 6 (including Braun and Sanders) are D1 athletes. The good news is that Coach P is an excellent recruiter, so this roster should look a lot different next season. Definitely need more athleticism, speed, and shooters based on conference stats thus far.

Our top 6 (including Braun and Sanders) are D1 athletes. The good news is that Coach P is an excellent recruiter, so this roster should look a lot different next season. Definitely need more athleticism, speed, and shooters based on conference stats thus far.

Holloway and Czinano are D1. Time will tell if they are worthy of starting in the BIG or other Power 5 conferences. Holloway definitely a bigger upside in athleticism. But D1 worthy isn't in question.

Holloway and Czinano are D1. Time will tell if they are worthy of starting in the BIG or other Power 5 conferences. Holloway definitely a bigger upside in athleticism. But D1 worthy isn't in question.
almost lets give Nia a pass this season as she's coming back from a ACL injury.. guessing she is trying to regain trust and confidence in her knee and game.. Also learning the college game after being out a whole YEAR...

In stead of saying D1 maybe I should have said Power5 athletes. I agree with your overall thoughts though. For an example, if you place some of these girls at St Thomas they would all play huge minutes. If you place them at Ohio State or even Iowa I have a hard time seeing them getting any action.

Sanders stepped up big in this game. Agree that Battle seems to be pressing and not finishing @ the rim. Overall, we are not deep or athletic enough to compete @ a high level without Braun.

In stead of saying D1 maybe I should have said Power5 athletes. I agree with your overall thoughts though. For an example, if you place some of these girls at St Thomas they would all play huge minutes. If you place them at Ohio State or even Iowa I have a hard time seeing them getting any action.
They are all D! athletes. My mid-major university, which has a good program, would probably be glad to pick up any of them. They also are Power5 athletes. At least a half a dozen teams in each of the Power 5 conferences would be happy to pick up our players. If you said that none of our players are Top 25 Team caliber, you would be closer. Although none of them might start on a Top Ten Team, a couple might see some playing time.

Top Bottom