B1G Game 11: Gophers Visit Indiana (2-3-22)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
THE THIN CRIMSON LINE

The Hoosiers opened the campaign deep with experienced starters and shallow with reserves. It was a thin crimson line dedicated to topping last season’s Elite Eight appearance. Led by the eternal Ali Patberg, senior guard Nicole Cardano-Hillary, senior guard Grace Berger, senior forward Aleksa Gulbe and Junior forward Mackenzie Holmes, this was the most accomplished group in Indiana women’s basketball history. And the first sub off the bench was graduate guard Chloe Moore-McNeil. The experienced Hoosiers quickly moved into the top ten and to 6-0 in the Big Ten.

But they’ve had battles. There have been player exits, Covid protocols, and injury. The player exits were the least consequential as only relatives could name them. Covid was more serious and sidelined the Hoosiers from January 16th to the 30th. Practices were limited in players and activities. Two games were postponed by Covid with-in Indiana’s program (MSU and Iowa) and a game versus Illinois was postponed by Covid in the Illini program. Those issues are nothing compared to the problems presented when Mackenzie Holmes injured her knee in a January 5th victory over Wisconsin. At first, recovery seemed likely. Then it was announced that Holmes had a procedure on her knee and her return was indefinite. The latest update I’ve seen:

“Mack had a very successful knee procedure,” Moren said Sunday [January 29]. “Right now she’s doing phenomenal in her rehab.”

Nevertheless, Indiana extended its conference undefeated streak by defeating Nebraska and Purdue before the Covid imposed break. But the thin crimson line was asked to do more-more minutes, more scoring, more inside play. Without Holmes, the Hoosiers have five legit players: Berger, Gulbe, Cardano-Hillary, Patberg and Moore-McNeil. 6’2” sophomore Kiandra Browne was forced into the breach created by Holmes’ absence. Reality hit hard.

On Monday night, the Hoosiers visit to Ann Arbor went sour. Michigan cruised to a 50-65 victory while out rebounding IU 52-20. Kiandra Browne struggled in the post with 0 points, 0 rebounds and 4 fouls in 20 minutes of play. Browne wasn’t the whole problem; but zeros are zeros. Teri Moren summed it up:

“I did think we looked like a team that had been off for a couple weeks,” Indiana head coach Teri Moren said. “We looked really rusty and had no real rhythm.”

So, on Thursday night, the Gophers travel to Bloomington to face a team searching for rhythm, an inside game and with a thin crimson line growing thinner.

THE HOOSIERS SEASON IN FOUR GAMES: THE OKAY BAD THE GOOD AND THE UGLY

Indiana has three losses this season. The first two were 66-69 to Stanford in the Bahamas and 58-66 to North Carolina State in Bloomington. Stanford outscored Indiana 17-14 in the first quarter. It was the difference. The other quarters were ties: 20 all in the second, 18 all in the third and 14 all in the fourth. Versus NC State the Hoosiers led 23-21 at the half; but IU could not overcome a terrible shooting night at 33.8%

Game 1: Facing the Cardinal, Indiana’s starters were Ali Patberg with 19 points in 35 minutes, Nicole Cardano-Hillary with 18 points and 8 rebounds in 37 minutes, Grace Berger with 12 points and 6 rebounds in 37 minutes, Alexis Gulbe with 8 points and 4 rebounds in 34 minutes and Mackenzie Holmes with 6 points and 10 rebounds in 33 minutes. Indiana was 6-14 from three and there were four subs. Kiandra Browne played 12 minutes, Chloe Moore-McNeil played 7 minutes, Caitlin Hose 4 minutes and Grace Waggoner 1 minute.

Game 2: Versus North Carolina State the Hoosiers started: Holmes with 24 points and 3 rebounds in 32 minutes, Patberg with10 points and 5 rebounds in 36 minutes, Berger with 10 points, 9 rebounds and 5 assists in 36 minutes and Cardano-Hillary with 6 points and 3 rebounds in 34 minutes. Indiana was 7-24 from three and there were three subs: Chloe Moore-McNeil played 16 minutes, Kiandra Browne 9 minutes and Grace Waggoner 3 minutes.

Game 3: After defeating Penn State and Ohio State, Indiana kicked off the New Year by bouncing Maryland in overtime 70-63. Indiana was at peak performance. The starters really got a workout: Patberg with 18 points in 45 minutes, Gulbe with 17 points and 10 rebounds in 43 minutes, Holmes with 15 points and 14 rebounds in 41 minutes, Berger with 9 points in 45 minutes and Cardano-Hillary 9 points in 44 minutes. Indiana was 3-11 from three and there were two subs: Kiandra Browne played 6 minutes and Grace Waggoner 1 minute.

GAME 4: Without Holmes, Michigan dominated the boards and the game winning 50-65. The IU starters were: Cardano-Hllary with 16 points 5 rebounds in 39 minutes, Berger with 13 points, 6 rebounds in 39 minutes, Patberg with 10 points and 2 rebounds in 35 minutes, Gulbe with 8 points and 5 rebounds in 37 minutes and Kiandra Browne with 0 points and 0 rebounds in 20 minutes. Indiana was 3-14 from three. Moore-McNeil played 20 minutes, Peterson played 7 minutes, Waggoner 2 minutes and Wisne played 1 minute.

INDIANA B1G RECORD (6-1):

Wins:
Penn State 70-40, @ Ohio State 86-66, Maryland 70-63, @ Wisconsin 76-53, Nebraska 72-65, @ Purdue 73-68 OT

Losses: @ Michigan 50-65

Grace Berger Last Six B1G Games:

TeamPtsRebAsstMinFoul
Ohio State2175353
Maryland934453
Wisconsin9811362
Nebraska2273383
Purdue2466451
Michigan1366393

Alexis Gulbe Last Six B1G Games:

TeamPtsRebAsstMinFoul
Ohio State835303
Maryland1791434
Wisconsin1341373
Nebraska1751345
Purdue2192442
Michigan850372

Probable Starters Big Ten Stats:

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
6’0”GSrGrace Berger38.615.36.1
6’3”FSrAleksa Gulbe36.413.66.4
5’11”GSrNicole Cardano-Hillary36.513.35.0
5’11”GGrAli Patberg37.612.73.0
6’2”FSoKiandra Browne15.72.92.6

Others Big Ten Stats:

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
5’6”GGrChloe Moore-McNeil25.04.63.0
6’0”GJrGrace Waggoner6.30.00.8
5’9”GFrKaitlin Peterson10.31.31.8
6’3”FJrMackenzie Holmes31.019.38,8

"The team actually has done a lot better than I thought would happen," [Gadiva] Hubbard said of how the Gophers managed a game without Powell. "We're handling this well. On the court, I didn't see anybody get frazzled. I think Sara [Scalia is] doing a great job running the point guard position, and I know that's way out of her normal position, so I think she's doing great. Everybody's stepping up."

Could be one of those games where we don't get home tonight. Supposed to snow all day in Bloomington and that winter storm is really smacking that part of the midwest. Stay safe, Gophers!

Surprised they’re playing at all. Safe travel Gophers!
Guessing that since the Gophers are already there it's easier to play as scheduled than try to fit in a make up date between now and the BTT. Expect that the team will be staying in Bloomington until the return trip can be completed safely.

D is looking good. Why, oh why won’t Helgren shoot?

What is up with Sissoko? Continues to make make high school freshman level mistakes.

Sissoko with 2 early fouls and 2 TO's...again. I'm to the point where I'd rather see LBK instead of Sissoko.

One of their better halves but a little bit of missed opportunities I think, some rush shots in the second quarter. Rebounding as well but the ball was making some awkward bounces to Hoosiers players. LBK has been giving them some great minutes the past few games.

I swear we give up a last second shot every game, but at least they didn’t roll over in the third quarter. with Patberg with 4 fouls they need to go after her

Too many jump shots and done, we don’t set up any down low shots, you got’em in foul trouble go attack.

Indiana did what good teams do and make 6 of their last 7 shots and a couple fts. Effort was there tonight for the Gophers but didnt have an answer for Gulbe.

Sissoko is a huge disappointment. So talented but doesn’t understand how to use that talent.

Ouch, that went to he!! fast! Still, great effort and very encouraged to see Gophers give Indiana all they could handle for 36 minutes. I'll take that every game. Hopefully next time, our team can finish it off.

Had a 67-62 lead with the ball and momentum and get called for a moving screen, again with 6 minutes left. Out scored 18-3 from that point. Still there was several good moments in this game, they‘ll look at this tape and will be kicking themselves for the opportunity that was lost.

Sissoko is an average player gets more playing time than she deserves. 42% shooter. 18% from three. 3.3 turnovers a game… Does she ever play well when it matters…??

Good game. Excellent effort. Keep fighting, the wins will come.

I didn’t watch, but right now I am using every positive step to get excited for next season. Being competitive at Indiana is a positive. I still think they will lose one or two more players before next season.

Sissoko is a huge disappointment. So talented but doesn’t understand how to use that talent.
She just seems confused out there. that little pump fake, elbow jumper never goes in..
I can just hear the conversation "but coach I'm open", "do you think there is a reason why your open?"
If we got half of her talent potential, like 15 & 8 every night we would be as good as some of these teams ahead of us

I don’t disagree. But what are her talents? Can’t shoot not a good ball handler and rarely makes plays for others… so so defender.

And, the team did stay in Bloomington overnight due to weather conditions there. Stay safe and warm until you come home, ladies!

Even though they lost, I thought it was one of their better efforts. Better ball movement for one thing. And fewer drives into a crowd of defenders. Powell may have been part of the problem. Someone has to teach them how to set a screen, however. It's not that difficult. But the bigs and Sissoko keep making the same mistakes over and over. Maybe they should bring Janel in for a tutorial.

I’m excited to see them play some of the non-ranked teams the rest of this season. This team seems to have a different fire without Powell.
I thought the Gophers played much better as a team without Powell the last two games. 3 years of Whalen & Co. sucking up to her .. jeez. Not necessary. Plus, she obviously did not respect them in the end, even with all their constant overhyping her, she still left.

Top Bottom