B1G Game 10: Gophers Host Penn State (1-31-24)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
WAITING FOR OWUSU

There’s been a lot of waiting going on in State College, PA. Some of it continues.

It’s been 10 years since the Lady Lions made the NCAA tournament. That was the 2013-14 season which saw Coquese Washington’s Penn State team win their third straight Big Ten title. It’s been downhill since.

Washington coached five more seasons of diminishing returns before being replaced by Carolyn Kieger. Kieger is now five years into a mediocre, at best, tenure. Her Big Ten record in years one through four is 1-17, 6-13, 5-13 and 4-14. To Gopher fans, Kieger’s most notable win brought Dawn Plitzuweit to Dinkytown. Patience has gotta be running low in Happy Valley.

If ten years seems like a drought imagine waiting twenty years. Going into yesterday’s match-up with Maryland the Lady Lions had dropped 13 straight to the Terps. PSU last defeated Maryland in December 2003.

Obviously, something had to change, Kieger who is not shy about using the transfer portal brought in six transfers to start the season. The two most notable were Tay Valladay from Marquette by way of Virginia and the mercurial Ashley Owusu from Maryland by way of Virginia Tech. All stats are for Big Ten play.

Valladay went right to work. The 5’6” graduate guard averages 14.7 points and 1.6 rebounds in 27.6 minutes. She is 10-19 from three and scored 17 versus Rutgers and 22 versus Purdue.

Owusu began her Penn State career the way she ended her Virginia Tech career-on the bench presumably with an injury. Owusu hit the court for the first time on January 14 versus Rutgers. The Lady Lions haven’t lost since. They are now 6-3 in the B1G. Maryland? Penn State blew past the Terps 112-76.

Owusu had 16 points, 6 rebounds and 7 assists against her former team. The 6’0” graduate guard averages 18.6 points, 5.8 rebounds, 4.4 assists in 27.2 minutes. When she was at Maryland, I thought Owusu was the most intriguing player in the game-still do. Here’s a little sampler; although I wish it included some wonderful quarter court bounce pass assists, she used to dissect the Terrapins.

Wins: Northwestern 95-55, @ Rutgers 94-80, Purdue 80-67, Nebraska 82-73, @ Northwestern 76-65 and Maryland 112-76

Losses: @ Ohio State 84-94, Michigan State 87-98 and @ Indiana 67-75

The Other Lady Lion Starters

Mekenna Marisa
is a 5’11” fifth year senior guard averaging 14.9 points and 3.9 rebounds in 25.1 minutes. She scored 24 versus Maryland and is 15-32 from three.

Shay Ciezki is a 5’7” sophomore guard averaging 11.4 points, 3.0 rebounds in 28.8 minutes. She is 18-49 from three.

Ali Brigham (yes, they have a post) is a 6’4” senior averaging 10 points and 5.3 rebounds in 24.8 minutes.

Leilani Kapinus is a 5’10” redshirt junior guard averaging 10 points, and 5.1 rebounds in 24.7 minutes. She had 15 points and 7 rebounds versus Maryland.

Chanaya Pinto is a 6’1” graduate forward averaging 5 points and 3.4 rebounds in 14.9 minutes.

Next Wednesday we expect an aggressive Penn State press. The Lady Lions are averaging a Big Ten leading 9.8 steals per game in conference play (Minnesota averages 6.56). PSU is second in the B1G in three pointers per game at 8.6 (the Gophers average 7.3). The Lady Lions are also sharp shooters from behind the arc hitting 77-186 (.414).

This is lining up to be a battle of the guards without Mara Braun. It’ll be a tough task keeping the keeping the Lady Lions waiting.

Penn State just put up 112 points on Maryland, I know it was at home but that is a lot of points. Gophers cannot get into a transition game of a pissing match where it is shoot quickly and run. Pace will have to be more inclined on to where Gophers want to play at. I know Gophers don't do that but Lions will push pace and shoot a lot. Without Braun, with her out, some other players are going to have score more and do more on defensive end. These players cannot go into woe is us mode and go into a shell and losing streak like everyone expects them to do. Got to finish at the rim better.

Penn State just put up 112 points on Maryland, I know it was at home but that is a lot of points. Gophers cannot get into a transition game of a pissing match where it is shoot quickly and run. Pace will have to be more inclined on to where Gophers want to play at. I know Gophers don't do that but Lions will push pace and shoot a lot. Without Braun, with her out, some other players are going to have score more and do more on defensive end. These players cannot go into woe is us mode and go into a shell and losing streak like everyone expects them to do. Got to finish at the rim better.
Agree, if they finish at the rim, they win their last 2 contest. Big difference going 0-2 vs 2-0…

Two big advantages for PSU this season, athleticism and speed. I thought PSU Carolyn Kieger (Roseville) was done after last season, but their BIG10 tourney win last season over MN probably probably saved her. This year she has PSU going full speed and moving up in the BIG10.

Two big advantages for PSU this season, athleticism and speed. I thought PSU Carolyn Kieger (Roseville) was done after last season, but their BIG10 tourney win last season over MN probably probably saved her. This year she has PSU going full speed and moving up in the BIG10.
Gophers have to be physical in getting through screens, and cutting off Penn States drives. Need to really fill the passing lanes tonight. I'm worried about PSU speed and pressing the pace. Gophers have to be deliberate with clock and lull PSU into being bored and having Gophers score in the paint. Sophie Hart needs to score and not back down. Need a lower scoring game. It's Game day, let's go Gophers!

It will be interesting to see what combinations that coach P uses to replace Braun. Everyone needs to step up their games. This is a good opportunity for GG to take on more responsibility and for her game to develop further.

It will be interesting to see what combinations that coach P uses to replace Braun. Everyone needs to step up their games. This is a good opportunity for GG to take on more responsibility and for her game to develop further.
I kind of hope GG doesn't just become a 3 point shooter tonight... she has a nice midrang game and could post up like Ciezki if she's guarding her

hopefully maybe we see more plays ran for Heyer.. like her back door cuts or slashing to the rim.

We have a free extra ticket to the game tonight. Message me if you would like it. Near midcourt about 8 rows up on the bench side.

We were 0-4 from 3 n they were 4/10 in the 1st quarter. Going 2 need some 3’s to get back in the game.

Bigger issue might be clearing defensive boards and cutting down on the live ball turnovers that create run-outs. Man I hope that girls leg is OK. Judgiing from Sanders reaction, she thinks it pretty bad.
We were 0-4 from 3 n they were 4/10 in the 1st quarter. Going 2 need some 3’s to get back in the game

Bigger issue might be clearing defensive boards and cutting down on the live ball turnovers that create run-outs. Man I hope that girls leg is OK. Judgiing from Sanders reaction, she thinks it pretty bad.
She landed awkwardly on her left knee. Looked bad…

It was unerving to hear that Penn State player screaming. I am somewhat close. I feel bad for her.

‐‐--‐---‐

I figured they may lose this by up to 30 considering the roster strain.

The more egregious mistakes hurt because otherwise they probably would have it close.

Our team looks sluggish and unsure right now. On defense, PSU is quicker and anticipating very well to close off passing/driving lanes in the half court. On offense, Owusu seems to be a mismatch for us. That stepback at the end of the half was just unfair.

While the defensive rebounding for the Gophers was better in the 2nd quarter, it would be nice if we could get a board, quick outlet and get up the floor a little better. I realize that PSU's defense is a big reason why, but the Gophers half-court sets have to have better pace and sharper execution.

We're trudging through mud while they're running on turf.

OK, thanks. I’m watching live stats and see that Battle has a lot of turnovers.
Yeah, she struggled in the first half. Seems like she's trying to force the action and had some bad turnovers..

Top Bottom